Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2011, 09:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had this happen a few months back. Got a brand new card from Amazon. I took it out of the package and it had files like those on it. I plugged the card into the PC and the virus program I run went nuts. I looked them up, realized I was looking at a trojan and just to be safe I deleted it and formatted the card. Couldn't believe it, a brand new SanDisk card still in the plastic and it was infected with some crap? I know it can't likely affect the camera but the computer was a different story so better safe than sorry, I guess.

This happened at a job I did a while back too. One of the guys there bought a brand new USB keychain drive on the way to work and it too was infected. Same deal. I never use anything like a USB drive or memory card in my computer anymore without a quick scan, new or not. Just a heads up. It can happen with items straight from the store these days. Though why anyone would bother is beyond me.

01-16-2011, 06:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Flyer Sir, appreciate your thought on activating the bracketing function. I think I made a mistake in not mentioning clearly that I would make +ve / -ve adjustment via the EV button and the front e-dial every time after taking the first shot that would either be over or under exposed.
I use Aperture Priority with Spot Metering and Center Focus and have mastered this quite well. Example I spot metered off the earing on my wife's right ear, this side being on the darker half of the face, and still got an under exposed shot.
I will try to stimulate this situation again and take some test shots then post it here.
Thanks anyway.
01-16-2011, 08:37 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I'm with ya, nanhi. I think it's possible for something strange to happen to our cameras when connecting them directly to a computer via the USB cable. I wrote to Pentax about my problem, but they couldn't seem to get past the word "virus". I do NOT think my camera has a virus, but I definitely think something changed within my camera when I hooked it up to an infected computer. It's like something tried to jump to my camera, couldn't get in, but dented the door. One could look at my camera and declare with confidence that it's impossible to be invaded, but that doesn't explain the very real dent in my door.
01-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep TaoMaas, strange are the ways of modern electronics. I have come across some astonishing and weird experiences as a DIY master mechanic, computer engineer and an electronics buff.
Any way, I think I am going to reset the camera via the Menu or perhaps hunt on the web for a way to reload the OS just like you would your laptop - format the C-drive and reload the OS. Hope this is possible, hope Hoya / Pentax has something on this or perhaps they can format and reload the software at one of their larger Service Centers. I will pay of course.
Any IDEAS Pentaxians ??? Is someone from Hoya / Pentax reading this?? Hey I have been a Pentaxian for the last 33 years and deserve some support from them.
I have done this with my LG cell phones with the help of LG downloads when the phone started acting up - not due to a virus though.

01-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #20

To directly answer your question (even though I'm sure it was touched upon in various ways so far): The only way your camera can be affected by a virus in anyway is if you go to update the firmware with a modified firmware file, which is very unlucky and something you would have to initiate.

As for your computer detecting viruses: It's possible that at some previous point in time the SD card was connected to a computer with a virus, the virus copied itself onto the card, and now after being reconnected (either to another computer or the same computer with an updated virus definition file), the virus is being detected. Another possibility is a false alarm (it does happen for no real reason). Some hardware gets detected as having a virus for strangest reasons and it's usually up to the antivirus developer to fix the issue.
01-20-2011, 04:39 AM   #21

Does this help you?

In reply to all the above. And I would like to state, that I am not Googling this as I write. If I do, then I will reference it. Okay, here we go! As an ex IT teacher, and student whom gained very prestigious awards for my own IT studies. I can assure you, that a camera "CAN" catch a virus. Computer virii are specifically written to perform a specific task. All computing device code is written to perform a specific task. That is it's role. And it is usually developed for a certain platform. I.E. Windows, Linux, Mac, Pentax. Yet there has, and is, code that is platform independant. Take Java for instance. Or XML and its derivatives. Any computing device can only perform three functions. They are 1) Input 2) Processing and 3) Output. Storage is not a function of a computing device. It is a process of input and output. As is transmission! Platform independant viral code has been developed in the laboritory. I had the PDF once, but have since lost it. Google it. When a virus infects a computer, "The Host", it will always insert itself in memory first. From there, it will store itself in the most logical place that the computing device has for storage. Usually a HDD. Whilst in memory, it will modify code of some sort, to allow itself to be run at the next earliest convenience, or to stay in memory. Hidden. And, or, to then transmit itself to another host. All computer virii need to build their TTL, or "Time To Live". Otherwise they will die, or lay dormant. The virii, or "Phage", and the "Host", live in what is called a symbiotic relationship. Like a dog and a flee. Most viral code today is what is called "Polymorphic". This means that it can change itself. All computing devices need code to run. Whether it is installed on a chip at the factory, and is not updatable. Or is installed by a user, and is updatable. Or both! It runs on code. All code has specific tasks that are easily recognisable to a human. Humans write code! All code complies to the same laws of programming. All code. Therefore, given the above. Of what I have explained. It is "Theoretically Possible" for any Camera, or any electronic device that has some kind of onboard computer, to catch a virus. If anyone has ever upgraded their Pentax OS. Then given the laws of transmission, it is possible for a virus to be installed on a camera. If a block of code was specifically written to infect a certain Operating System, then the only real problem is in delivery. The Penatx OS is written in Assembler if I remember correctly. That means that it is conforming to the programming rules that are governed by the specific processor that the camera has. If a piece of viral code was released onto the Internet, with worm like abilities. And had a payload containing blocks of code specific to a camera manufacturer. Then it is highly possible that any camera of the certain make, could become infected. It would, "In Theory", be called "Multipartite Polymorphic Stealth Code". Or, in everyday words, "A virus that infects everything". It is this kind of code, that "WILL" oneday bring our interconnected world to a stop. And it is this kids of code that could, "In Theory", infect the operating system of a Digital SLR. I hope that I have been of some help. And I had to Google "Multipartite", becaus eI couldn't remember the word. Cheers everyone. (Now run to the hills.)
01-20-2011, 06:36 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Pentaxian Quote
I can assure you, that a camera "CAN" catch a virus. It is "Theoretically Possible" for any Camera, or any electronic device that has some kind of onboard computer, to catch a virus.
Pentaxian, this was an enjoyable academic treatment. However, it is important to note that the original question was about the POSSIBILITY that his camera had a virus, right here and right now. And clearly, that possibility is near absolute zero, right here and right now.

So before folks get too entangled in what you wrote, I believe the answer continues to be NO, for all intents and purposes, a Pentax DSLR camera can't be affected by malicious viral code intended for a personal computer and show signs of a malfunction because of it.

Very interesting post, however. I enjoyed it.
01-20-2011, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
, a Pentax DSLR camera can't be affected by malicious viral code intended for a personal computer and show signs of a malfunction because of it.
However, a Pentax DSLR CAN be affected by malicious code intended for a Pentax DSLR. Just no one's done that yet.

01-20-2011, 09:52 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sgtkashim Quote
However, a Pentax DSLR CAN be affected by malicious code intended for a Pentax DSLR. Just no one's done that yet.
Exactly. And it's very unlikely anyone will as the target audience is so small, especially since each model has it's own slightly different firmware.

Spreading PC viruses with SD cards - now that's a real possibility for the unwary.
01-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
Spreading PC viruses with SD cards - now that's a real possibility for the unwary.
I remember reading about something like this a few years back; when a memory manufacturer shipped infected SD cards to consumer. One PC manufacturer did the same thing.

Caveat emptor?
01-20-2011, 04:58 PM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I remember reading about something like this a few years back; when a memory manufacturer shipped infected SD cards to consumer. One PC manufacturer did the same thing.

Caveat emptor?
They really try to control it, but there are people who will take a job on the factory floor just to plant a virus. If they're clever, it won't get caught till after ship. Just use good protection, and watch for odd behavior. It's all you can do.
01-21-2011, 02:02 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sgtkashim Quote
They really try to control it, but there are people who will take a job on the factory floor just to plant a virus. If they're clever, it won't get caught till after ship. Just use good protection, and watch for odd behavior. It's all you can do.
To 'plant a virus' you need to know how the software you are attacking works, or have access to software that does. Camera 'software' (firmware) is nothing like Windows, and 'being on the factory floor' in itself won't help gain that understanding.
01-21-2011, 02:41 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
Exactly. And it's very unlikely anyone will as the target audience is so small, especially since each model has it's own slightly different firmware.
Google for stuxnet; rumours are that it was targeting an audience far smaller than the base of pentax dSLR cameras.
01-21-2011, 04:06 AM   #29

Photos: Albums
Basically all viruses these days are there to serve a specific purpose that is of benefit, usually financial, to the creator and his clients. The novelty of writing viruses that just format someone's hard disk or display strange messages has worn off long ago. There can be no benefit to a virus creator to infect your camera and do strange things, therefore it's very unlikely that someone will do this. And even if they do, they will almost certainly target the Canons and Nikons of this world because of the larger user base, as they do with Windows.

Last edited by kari; 01-21-2011 at 05:05 AM.
01-21-2011, 04:25 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Google for stuxnet; rumours are that it was targeting an audience far smaller than the base of pentax dSLR cameras.
But one that was far more important. Important enough (if you believe the rumours) to have the US government backing it. I don't think a possible Pentax camera virus is in the same league.