Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How much play is normal for a focus ring?

I just got a Pentax Smc-A 50mm /f1.4 which at first sight does a very good job taking pictures. The focus ring, however, appears a little loose to me. The front element can be moved slightly forth and back (~0.5mm). I don't have so much experience with old manual focus lenses but my old Minolta lenses never showed such play. So do I have to worry? How much play is normal for a manual focus lens ?
(I could sent the lens back, but optically it is fine, so I don't now if I am just too cautious.)

01-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Check the small screw on the lens barrel (you are able to see it when the barrel is full extended). Use an appropriate screw driver to tight it up if it has become loose. It may cause the problem you are reporting.
01-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most MF lenses shouldn't have any play in them.
So tighten those screws referred to above and see how you go.
01-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hello friend, the front lens element should not move at all - to and fro. It means the front lens ring is loose and not sitting snugly against the lens. Some lenses have rings with diametrically opposite slots and these can be tightened with a pair of calipers or lens wrench. Others have a broad ring driven by friction. You can use a truck tube and a piece of hard plastic large diameter water pipe to tighten such a ring. Or if you are not a DIY type, take it to a camera repair guy.
You have a truly great lens. Happy shooting.

01-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FH_le Quote
but my old Minolta lenses never showed such play
Howdy, how's playing your Pentax 50mm? Don't forget to come back and tell us... I'm sustaining my breath.. and a simple thanks to us may help your future inquires (LOL). Cheers.
01-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Manel Brand Quote
Howdy, how's playing your Pentax 50mm? Don't forget to come back and tell us... I'm sustaining my breath.. and a simple thanks to us may help your future inquires (LOL). Cheers.
Thanks (and sorry for not posting earlier)!
Fixing the lens was not possible with the easily accesible screws. So today I finally sent the lens back. So no detailed reports on the 50mm so far...

Last edited by FH_le; 01-17-2011 at 01:17 PM.
01-17-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm again late to the party with a comment, but for future reference:

I have an SMC A 28mm 2.8 that has a detectable wiggle in the focus ring. You can feel it, and you can see it if you are looking at the lens. Honestly, I was going to return the lens for refund until I took some test shots and really looked at them ... damned sharpest lens of this type I've ever owned.

I decided that if the lens came apart in my hands someday, so be it ... and I've used the lens many times since ... getting wonderful images with it.

I would agree that there shouldn't be a wiggle in the lens, but I think you missed the point .... how did the lens actually shoot? Unless you simply can't sleep at night because of the wiggle, I would make a call like this on the quality of images you got. If it's a killer copy, what's a little wiggle?

Just my very late .02. Good luck with your search for a better copy.

01-15-2023, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #8

SMC A 50mm f1.4 barrel play

Hello pentaxians!
I am a long time lurker of these excellent forums, now decided to post a question because I cannot seem to be able to find an answer.
It is an old thread but it is the same lens and the same issue so I figured I should not open a new one.
Similar to the OP's case, I just received an SMC A 50mm f1.4 and noticed somewhat loose focusing ring feeling (not as tight/dumpened as my SMC M 50mm f1.7) and also a little play.
I recorded a video to show the amount of play:

lens play - YouTube

I cannot explain much the tightness of the focusing ring, since I have only experience with the M f1.7 version which is really tight and it is hard to put in words (it is subjective after all). But is this amount of play normal? Is this something I should be worried about?

Appreciate any input!
Thank you very much!
01-16-2023, 05:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This lens is built a little differently than the K or M versions. I am going on a really old memory of how it goes together, so I could be off. I believe this is how it goes:
Turn the focus ring to the minimum distance
Look on the side of the lens barrel, the thing you're holding in the video
There should be a very small slotted screw, painted black, flush with the barrel, close to the edge of the focus ring.
A screwdriver from an eyeglass repair kit should fit this screw. Loosen it a few turns. If it falls out, it's a little tricky to reinstall.
You can then unscrew the lens barrel and expose other screws.

Unfortunately I can't remember anything else about this lens, but I don't think it should be loose like that.
01-16-2023, 08:58 PM   #10

Thank you Dave!
So it seems I will have to repair it.
Is it just a matter of tightening screws, or maybe it has to do with normal wear?
To tell the truth, I kind of hesitate to try to open it, I am afraid that I might mess it up.
01-17-2023, 06:21 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Obviously each lens is different in exactly how well it's made and each lens copy has it's own history of use and abuse, but as a rule the A series is where Pentax build quality started to go downhill. It's most noticeable in the cheaper 50mm lenses (f/2 and f/1.7) and their gritty aperture rings but even on others there's more plastic used instead of metal. Unless there's a specific reason to get an A lens (faster, better optical formula, or you need the auto-aperture) then the older K and M series are much better built and give a better vintage lens user experience.
01-18-2023, 09:52 PM   #12

Thanks for the input everyone!
Well, I got this because of the A setting.
Maybe I worry too much for this?
Should I try to fix it or should I just live with it?
01-19-2023, 03:41 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by irakliszs Quote
Thanks for the input everyone!
Well, I got this because of the A setting.
Maybe I worry too much for this?
Should I try to fix it or should I just live with it?
Used gear has been used, and If you are satisfied with the images the lens produces, Live with it, and enjoy it.