Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #1

problem with m42 lens adapter

hey guys, i know i made the mistake of not buying the official pentax one, but i bought one off ebay that listed as infinity focus m42 to pk adapter, and i think i got completely ripped off. it fits on the m42 lens, but it doesnt turn at all in the k mount? with or without the lens on it, and theres also no screw or spring or anything that iv been seeing with alot of the threads about the adapters. this is the adapter i got, is there anything i can do to use it? at this point i dont even care if it doesnt focus to infinity, id just like to use the lens iv had waiting. or did i get screwed?

" />

Last edited by joeylives; 01-11-2011 at 03:12 PM.
01-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not an infinity focus adapter. An infinity focus adapter will fit entirely inside the lens mount. Sorry, but you got ripped off.

Last edited by boriscleto; 01-11-2011 at 02:06 PM.
01-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, that's a non-infinity focus adapter. There should be no reason it doesn't work, though: are you sure you've got it aligned right? There'll generally be an indicator there.

The nice thing about these is at least they mount and unmount easily, just like a k-mount lens, (possibly the lens itself could end up turned in a funny direction, though you clearly lose infinity focus and all. If it's made right, the usual release button ought to work.
01-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #4

Original Poster
yea i line up the orange dot and it drops into place, it just doesnt rotate at all

01-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Some of these are machined so terribly that they will get Stuck on the dSLR mount. Strangely enough, usually they work fine on a film body. If you paid any more than a few bucks for it, return it as not as advertised.

01-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #6

Original Poster
paid around 8 bucks, but i just filed a claim with ebay. il see how it works out and learn from my mistakes. can anyone recommend a safer way to get one, possibly without having to spend the 40 bucks for the pentax one? or is that really the only safe option? i would prefer one that i can leave on the lens because i have other non m42 lenses that i switch frequently
01-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Some of these are machined so terribly that they will get Stuck on the dSLR mount. Strangely enough, usually they work fine on a film body. If you paid any more than a few bucks for it, return it as not as advertised.

How are we supposed to archive this thread as another warning to the uninformed?

I forget how you stand on the issue, but even one of my Bowers from B&H wouldn't mount!

01-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Definitely, I suppose, poor machining's a real possibility with the cheapies, , there. (Hadn't really thought they'd be that bad. I got one like that and felt like I should de-burr the threads a little, (And I did find some filings) but it did work fine after that.

I should add that sometimes that can mean filings in the threads: on general I'd clean such threads some times over with mineral oil and a fine rag or some such, before letting them near your camera's mirror box.
01-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
How are we supposed to archive this thread as another warning to the uninformed?

I forget how you stand on the issue, but even one of my Bowers from B&H wouldn't mount!
I'm never quite sure how to take your responses, Ira. Maybe that's a good thing.. Keep em wondering. All I know for certain is the One and ONLY time I bought a knockoff adapter, it got stuck and I consider myself lucky to have removed it. That was on my (then) brand new K10d that I'd just paid nearly $1000 for. Now tell me. Which is better... a Phked up $1000 camera or spending the couple extra $ to get the proper adapter? I put that right up there with the people who spend $1500 for a K5 and then look for a $2 card. It makes NO sense to me.

01-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm never quite sure how to take your responses, Ira. Maybe that's a good thing.. Keep em wondering. All I know for certain is the One and ONLY time I bought a knockoff adapter, it got stuck and I consider myself lucky to have removed it. That was on my (then) brand new K10d that I'd just paid nearly $1000 for. Now tell me. Which is better... a Phked up $1000 camera or spending the couple extra $ to get the proper adapter? I put that right up there with the people who spend $1500 for a K5 and then look for a $2 card. It makes NO sense to me.

There's definitely that factor, too. The 'genuine Pentax' adapter's really just the way to go, I think. (I wanted a flanged one for my macro bellows, being my own rationale with one. You'd think whoever bothered to make them would bother to make them at least fit, though. )
01-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
There's definitely that factor, too. The 'genuine Pentax' adapter's really just the way to go, I think. (I wanted a flanged one for my macro bellows, being my own rationale with one. You'd think whoever bothered to make them would bother to make them at least fit, though. )
I guess the difference between the bellows and a lens is with the bellows, you don't need infinity focusing. You are correct though and without getting into some never ending debate, I'll just note (in my mind) where most of the Garbage items are made these days.

01-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

We're on the same page, but I just didn't remember.
01-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
We're on the same page, but I just didn't remember.
Got ya!

01-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think that the bottom line take-home here is to buy the genuine Pentax adapter, they are not that expensive and you save a lot of grief later. Unless you use a lot of M-42 Lenses and switch them around you really only need one.
01-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Greeneg Quote
I think that the bottom line take-home here is to buy the genuine Pentax adapter, they are not that expensive and you save a lot of grief later. Unless you use a lot of M-42 Lenses and switch them around you really only need one.
I guess that that depends on where one lives. When I bought mine a year ago, it was roughly 8% of the price of a FA31Ltd I accepted the price as I got the FA31 with about 10% discount, so basically got the adaptor for free