Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2011, 02:27 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanker Quote
I am new to photography and of course have my eye on a couple of used lenses to upgrade beyond the kit lens (18-55). I am wondering if there is a particular time of year when used lenses can be found at a discount. Kind of like waiting until winter to buy a motorcycle when demand is low.

Also, just wanted to say that this site is a great resource. Thanks to all who contribute time and wisdom to the rest of us.
Before you need it.

01-12-2011, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Panoguy's suggestion is excellent, that site (Photoprice) just saved me a bunch of money on a 18-135. And no, I wasn't going to wait. I have a fast moving child, and I've now actually got a zoom that can keep up!

I've found Nextag in the US to be a good predictor, and it also has price history. Of course Adam maintains links with Adorama and B&H here, click through for free reseller access here when you want to sell.
01-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Panoguy's suggestion is excellent, that site (Photoprice) just saved me a bunch of money on a 18-135. And no, I wasn't going to wait. I have a fast moving child, and I've now actually got a zoom that can keep up!

I've found Nextag in the US to be a good predictor, and it also has price history. Of course Adam maintains links with Adorama and B&H here, click through for free reseller access here when you want to sell.
I could see Nextag being a very handy site although it looks like the site might be just for new items. That still gives me a good upper range when shopping in the PF Marketplace. Unfortunately it also shows me that I let a good deal get away. Maybe next time....

Anyway, thanks for the great site.
01-13-2011, 04:03 AM   #19
Veteran Member

That depends on your budget. I am cheap. I buy and sell used lenses on eBay. For those, the best time is 1) when they're available, and 2) when I'm not broke. So, anytime is the right time to buy a weird projector lens for one buck. And the best time to sell a lens is when the auction is scheduled to end at drunk o'clock somewhere. I've sold more than a few at 1 AM in Australia.

For something special, the best time is when I've saved up enough for a deal. December 2010 was the right time to buy a new Tamron lens because of rebates. Otherwise, as suggested, the best time is some time before you actually NEED the lens. Practice practice practice.

01-13-2011, 05:35 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

There is no particular time of year that lenses are cheaper. Every so often a bunch of lenses pop up for reasonable prices on the market place -- usually because someone decided to consolidate their collection or, because a new camera body came out/lens came out and they need some funds to purchase that item.

If there is a lens you truly "need" for a situation (a trip, special event, etc), you are better off just getting, even if you could find it cheaper later. Better to have the photos and the memories than the 150 dollars.
01-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
... And the best time to sell a lens is when the auction is scheduled to end at drunk o'clock somewhere. I've sold more than a few at 1 AM in Australia. ...
That's a good one. The last thing I want to do is try to outbid a drunk guy.
01-14-2011, 06:54 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
That depends on your budget. I am cheap. I buy and sell used lenses on eBay. For those, the best time is 1) when they're available, and 2) when I'm not broke. So, anytime is the right time to buy a weird projector lens for one buck. And the best time to sell a lens is when the auction is scheduled to end at drunk o'clock somewhere.
Sounds like a good way to end up with another case of the very tasty wine one is sampling at the moment. That has put a few cases in my cellar.
01-14-2011, 07:05 AM   #23
Site Supporter

On the general subject, the best time to buy a lens is either 1) when you need it or 2) when you see a screaming deal. Usually, it is the former. I just bought that VL ultron 40 for my MX a few weeks before my extended family was here for a visit around Christmas (like John was suggesting). I got to know it, it gave me just what I wanted, and I love the shots, so it was the perfect time to purchase. Two weeks later would have been too late.

01-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As my zen master used to say

when you asked him what time it was

"now"

NaCl(or when you have enough money to pay for it)H2O
01-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I thing time in the USA could be a good to buy lenses. Canon USA just announced a price increase on their lenses between 5 & 10% for February 2nd. I suspect the others will follow . USD lost a lot of value against other currency.
01-14-2011, 08:39 AM   #26
Pentaxian

there are a lot of good answers here, personally I think you need to do the following:

1) learn how to use your presne tlens through all aspects, then look at what you find lacking, or impeeding your development as a photographer. This will define what you "Need/Want"

2) once the "Need/Want" is defined research, look at the forum postings, ask questions, look at lens reviews etc, and narrow down the selection to 1 or 2 lenses that would suit each need,

3) if possible, go to a store and play with both. See how they perform.

4) make decision and buy the one you decide upon.

5) repeat process starting with step 1.

You will note there is no end to this process until Need/Want = 0
01-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #27
Veteran Member

This is the fun thing about everything Pentax lens.. they just don't die in humility, rotting in some dark and cold dead man's closet in some forgotten side of someone's attic (yes, I over-pictured it..haha)

..instead.. they (still and will always) proudly shine on a recently announced $1000+ cameras..
01-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #28

From what I've been researching so far, it appears that just about every Pentax lens is on sale somewhere online.

My experience has been that if you wait just long enough you'll get a good deal but if you wait too long you lose it. That's how I ended up getting my Pentax, I wanted a Panasonic GF1 but was waiting for it to drop more and it turns out right after holidays it went back up.
01-15-2011, 09:41 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I noticed a large amount of long teles on Ebay last fall and the prices were down a bit. I picked up an M300/4 for very reasonable and I was the only bidder. I could take that as people selling some long lenses after the birds moved south and the outdoor school sports season was over. Generally, January and Febuary are good months for bargains as people may sell some unused gear when the energy bills are very high and seasonal layoffs are more likely. Prices do seem to jump up late spring/summer. There are other factors I'm sure. I look through the marketplace daily and Ebay on occasion all year.
01-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Oh this is an easy one, I know the answer to this : as soon as the LBA craving kicks in, always works for me.