Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #1

When is the best time to buy a lens?

I am new to photography and of course have my eye on a couple of used lenses to upgrade beyond the kit lens (18-55). I am wondering if there is a particular time of year when used lenses can be found at a discount. Kind of like waiting until winter to buy a motorcycle when demand is low.

Also, just wanted to say that this site is a great resource. Thanks to all who contribute time and wisdom to the rest of us.

01-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let everyone else buy first, then when they find out that it is not what they wanted, they will put it for sale cheaper. In case of new models, wait a year, when everyone buys it. The price will fall by itself. Never buy before Christmas either.
01-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
Let everyone else buy first, then when they find out that it is not what they wanted, they will put it for sale cheaper. In case of new models, wait a year, when everyone buys it. The price will fall by itself. Never buy before Christmas either.
The marketplace does not seem to work like that - at least for "good" lenses. For instance, even if you find that you don't like your DA 15mm Limited, you still don't sell it short.

I agree that for new lenses it makes sense to wait - if you don't need the lens right now. The DA 100mm macro WR initially stayed at $850 for few months at all retailers, and then went down to $610-620.
01-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Kammerer Quote
The marketplace does not seem to work like that - at least for "good" lenses. For instance, even if you find that you don't like your DA 15mm Limited, you still don't sell it short.

I agree that for new lenses it makes sense to wait - if you don't need the lens right now. The DA 100mm macro WR initially stayed at $850 for few months at all retailers, and then went down to $610-620.
I agree with this mostly, but don't agree partly:

Prices CAN go down after awhile, but there's no guarantee.

If I had to live without a lens I really needed and wanted for 6 months to save $200, I probably didn't really need or want it in the first place.

01-11-2011, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanker Quote
I am wondering if there is a particular time of year when used lenses can be found at a discount. Kind of like waiting until winter to buy a motorcycle when demand is low.
I've been wondering myself but haven't found out that time of the year yet

Lenses are not like motorcycles. If you don't ride your motorcycle, it still takes up room in the garage, you still have to maintain it, and your wife still sees it everyday and nags you about it

About winter, many people get a DSLR for Christmas (either as gift from others or from themselves). Of course they need lenses.

During summer, everyone needs new lenses for their vacations.....

You can't win.....

About waiting long enough and the price will drop, look at prices of Pentax 50mm F/1.4 or F/1.7 (any models from Super Takumar to FA). About 12 months ago, I sold 3 copies of F50 and two of FA50, all F/1.7, none of them for more than $140. They are $200 - $250 now.

If you want/need a lens and have the fund, buy it now. You can't put a price tag on the enjoyment you get out of it.
01-11-2011, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

If you want graphs tracking the price of major US and Canadian retailers for certain products by month, this site has them:

Pentax DA 15mm f/4 ED AL Limited Autofocus Lens - Canada and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca

Scroll to the bottom to see that the 15mm limited took a bit of a dip in early December 2010. Of course, that's no indicator of future performance. Just look at the rise in the price of the 21mm Limited over the past 2 years!
01-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Personally, I think any time is a good time to buy a new lens.
01-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm still kicking myself for not buying the FA 31mm a few years ago, before the price more than doubled. It's all about supply and demand, even for used lenses. I think the 15 Limited will do the same thing eventually.

01-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I've been wondering myself but haven't found out that time of the year yet

Lenses are not like motorcycles. If you don't ride your motorcycle, it still takes up room in the garage, you still have to maintain it, and your wife still sees it everyday and nags you about it

About winter, many people get a DSLR for Christmas (either as gift from others or from themselves). Of course they need lenses.

During summer, everyone needs new lenses for their vacations.....

You can't win.....
HA! You have no idea how close to home your comment hits!

Everyone, thanks for the advice. Probably not worth fretting over a few dollars either way for a lens I could be enjoying NOW.

On the bright side, Pentax lenses seem to hold value pretty darn well so it's not too difficult to get money back out of a lens if I decide to go a different direction. Marketplace, here I come!
01-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

As a general rule they are only going to be going up. New lenses such as the wr 100mm macro will come down from the msrp, bt once they are settled there wont be a huge amount of fluctuation as far as new pricing goes either. If you have something in mind and have the funds, you're better off having it to use than waiting.
01-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I buy them about a month before I need them, so I can take 1000 shots and get used to them.
01-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
If you want graphs tracking the price of major US and Canadian retailers for certain products by month, this site has them:

Pentax DA 15mm f/4 ED AL Limited Autofocus Lens - Canada and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca

Scroll to the bottom to see that the 15mm limited took a bit of a dip in early December 2010. Of course, that's no indicator of future performance. Just look at the rise in the price of the 21mm Limited over the past 2 years!
Very cool site! Thanks for the tip.
01-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't know if there is a best time of the year to buy lenses, I just say, if you find a lens you want/need and it's a good price, buy it.
01-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I buy them about a month before I need them, so I can take 1000 shots and get used to them.
I was going to answer "When you need it" , but I think Johh has the better answer.

I think too many people wait until a once in a lifetime event is about to occur, then start asking themselves what they need to shoot it.

I'd much rather test out my gear well ahead of time in a simulation, then go into the event with confidence the gear will perform as I had anticipated. I expect to be surprised by some unexpected conditions, but at least the basics are covered. . .

We are shooting digital after all. . . practice is cheap.

Scott
01-12-2011, 01:52 AM   #15
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The best time to buy a lens is after you've done your homework when you know what you want and you have the money.