Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #1

Optio M20 light sensor issue

After speaking with a Pentax Tech Rep today over the phone, it seems my Optio M20 may have a light sensor issue on the internal circuit board. I purchased the camera used and the seller was mistaken or misleading about issues with outdoor photography using this camera. No matter what compensation is entered in "Program" using White Balance Shutter Adjustment. EV Adjust or Sensitivity (ISO) settings, outdoor/sun photography is grossly overexposed, "washed-out" over-white images. Placing the camera in "Snow & Sun" mode makes no difference either, yet indoor photography with or without flash works fine.

The tech suggested the light sensor might be faulty. Local repair facilities in my area and the Pentax factory repair fees aren't justified for this more budget-minded camera, yet it's a perfectly usable device and I don't want to toss it in the trash.

I'm very saavy with a soldering gun with respect for circuit boards. Might anyone in the know advise if it's recommended to acquire the needed light sensor part and repair it myself ? I'm willing to give it a try--nothing to loose even if the camera is unrepairable at this point, and I realize doing so could incur needless expense if this isn't the problem with the unit.

thanks

01-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know there are people who have ordered parts directly from Pentax. I cannot find the exact info right now. It might be worth a search. You might also try ebay for a parts donor.

Good luck with it..

01-12-2011, 11:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, that's exactly what I've been doing the past couple days--looking for parts camera.