Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2011, 01:00 AM   #1

emergency k20d help, won't shoot

I'm currently traveling and have with me my k20d and a fa-50mm 1.4. My camera shows no errors and all of the displays are correct. However on powering on I can tell the camera is no shaking the sensor. When I go to take a photo I can feel some click in the body, but it won't lift the mirror or actuated the shutter. I can't even do an optical or live view preview. This is the third time this problem has happened and the first time it has lasted this long, the first time it lasted for almost no time at all and the second time I came across another pentax user and put on their da lenses and it suddenly started working, but I think this was likely a coincidence. A little history, In the summer my mirror return spring broke and I had the camera repaired by crisis and every thing has been fine 'till now. I have very limited internet access while traveling, so I will check back here when I can.

Thank you all for your help.

01-13-2011, 01:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Three things you can try:

Try removing and re-attaching the lens.

Try cleaning the contacts on the lens and the body.

Try removing the battery for an extended period of time - at least an hour, preferably overnight.
01-13-2011, 01:30 AM   #3

Original Poster
I've tried one and two numerous times, had the battery out of the camera for 12hrs, no help. I've cleaned the contacts with lenses tissue, but I will try to find some alcohol swabs and maybe that will do a better cleaning job.

Thanks for the input. Should I try updating the firmware?

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Three things you can try:

Try removing and re-attaching the lens.

Try cleaning the contacts on the lens and the body.

Try removing the battery for an extended period of time - at least an hour, preferably overnight.
01-13-2011, 02:20 AM   #4
Forum Member

Had the same issue with my K10D. They had to replace the shutter/mirror box.
It would power up, focus but NOT lift the mirror. I could hear something working, but nothing happened.

Love the fact that Norwegian laws ensured I got the repair for free on my 3 years old camera

01-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
I was afraid that might be the problem as that is what was repaired. Luckily it looks like the repair is covered by 90 a day warranty. The big problem though is that I'm in Israel right now and am planning on traveling for a long extended time to other places and I will be with out camera for most of the trip it now seems. No where in Israel seems to sell or work on pentax cameras which is just complicating matters. I will be in Denmark soon and perhaps will have better luck there. Otherwise I will just send the camera in for repairs and be without it sadly.
01-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What happens if you remove the lens, turn on the camera, and enter Cleaning Mode (in the setup menu)? Does the mirror flip up?

01-14-2011, 02:58 AM   #7

Original Poster
Nothing, it makes the same sounds as when it tries to take a photo.
01-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doesn't sound promising.

Good luck.