Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #1

K-7 Firmware update problem!

I just got the firmware update email and went to do the update on my K-7.
Downloaded. Put it on my SD card in the and followed the instructions for starting the update on my camera. It has been saying
QuoteQuote:
UPDATING

PHASE 1/2
For minutes now, and not the "approximately 90~150 seconds to complete update" quoted from the instructions.

What do I do now????

Don

01-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's not looking good... FWIW, I updated my K-7 earlier and had no problem. It took under 2 minutes.

Has the progress bar moved at all ? I guess you can wait a bit more, but at some point you'll have to turn the camera off and hope for the best (or you can wait until the battery runs out, but the end result will be the same). Unfortunately, there's a big chance it will now be unusable and will require servicing by Pentax.
01-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #3

Was the memory card freshly formatted or did it have other stuff in the root directory?
I always worry about this happening, it can be expensive and annoying getting it serviced.
01-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Monobod Quote
Was the memory card freshly formatted or did it have other stuff in the root directory?
I always worry about this happening, it can be expensive and annoying getting it serviced.
Freshly formatted! No Movement on Bar and battery is quite fresh!

Don

01-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #5

Original Poster
Also posted at K-7 Firmware Update-Help

Since the progress bar seemed not to have moved, I decided to try just turning the camera off! Voila, no upgrade. Not stuck! Whoopy!

But now I am hesitant to try again! Currently running Pentax K-7 1.03!

YMMV

Don
01-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1.03 > 1.11 can take a while longer than normal because it's a point upgrade. Try formatting the card and running it again - I remember mine took about 5 minutes.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-13-2011, 11:12 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
1.03 > 1.11 can take a while longer than normal because it's a point upgrade. Try formatting the card and running it again - I remember mine took about 5 minutes.
Thanks for the reply! I will try again at home when I can put the camera on the AC adaptor and start fresh with a recopy of the upgrade to another card!

I will post results as I go along!

Don

01-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like the update Never got going for some reason. I wouldn't repeat that shutdown experiment if the progress bar has moved (indicating it's working). I understand though. At some point you'll have to shut it off or let it power down regardless of what happens.

FWIW, also, I've NEVER formatted the card before doing the update. I simply make sure that the BIN file is in the right place. That may someday be to my peril but for now, no issues (multiple cameras and updates).

01-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
FWIW, also, I've NEVER formatted the card before doing the update. I simply make sure that the BIN file is in the right place. That may someday be to my peril but for now, no issues (multiple cameras and updates).
I have never formatted the card beforehand either.

Here is what I do:
- copy the firmware file to the SD card (in a card reader on my PC)
- unmount (or otherwise "Safely Remove Hardware") the SD card and take it out of the card reader
- reinsert the SD card in the card reader
- verify that the firmware file has the same checksum on the card and on my hard drive (I use the "md5sum" program on Linux)
- unmount (or otherwise "Safely Remove Hardware") the SD card once more
- insert SD card in camera and upgrade firmware

I have installed every firmware upgrade of the K10D and the K-7 to date using the above procedure, and I have never had a failure.