Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to clean the imagesensor in a Kx

I got some dust on my Kx sensor. One little spec that shows like a mole when using the prime for photos, and like a dot when I am shooting birds. I tried the method of shaking the sensor as indicated in the manual, and the spec moved a little. However, it is still there. The next step is to raise the mirror and blow. There is a more advance step that involved wiping the sensor, but I am afraid of doing it. Has anyone done it? I lifted the mirror and with my flash light, I can see the dust particle there. I just need to know the proper stuff to use. The manual recommends some type of q-tips with some non abrasive cloth, but the Pentax store does not have it. Anyone knows where to go? Thanks. Below is a photo with the dot.

Attached Images

01-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I use Visible dust swab on my K-5 or K-X . Work good for me
Thanks
01-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Step one was the sensor shake, Step 2 would be to use the mirror up (sensor clean in the menu I believe) and use a good blower like a giotto
If neither of these work there are sensor cleaning kits out there (pentax makes one, the visible dust as mentioned, ) you can however use a medical grade qtip (needs to be tightly wound and soft otherwise you risk scratching the sensor or just leaving more crap behind. if you choose this option go very very lightly and brush the dust away. I've done this in a pinch a couple of times. The sensor cleaning kits are really quite good but cost about $50 here YMMV
There are also some specialized tools for cleaning sensors on the market like the artic butterfly. this is a cool little tool with a moving brush that attracts dust. personally as it has a metal arm attached to the brush i think its a bad design as it would be way too easy to accidentally scratch the sensor but some people love them (they are also stupid expensive)
if the blower/swab don't work I'd suggest letting an authorized camera shop do it. if they damage the sensor they will have to replace it. (sometimes dust bonds to the sensor apparently, never been an issue for me. blower deals with 98% of it swabs the rest)
01-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you, my local camera store charges $40 for cleaning, but they gave me the alternative of buying a deluxe blower for $11, I did and I blew the hell out of those or three specs of dust. The sensor is now clean. There was another option if the blower failed, a lolly pop look alike with a gummy ORANGE rubber in one end that would be used to briefly touch the dust speck and grab it, to deposit it in another special paper provided. This second option was $35 more. I did not need it, but I know I can do it. The repairman told me how to do it.

Last edited by Pepe Guitarra; 01-13-2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: attach photo
01-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is the result

A recently taken pic, after the cleaning:
Attached Images

01-13-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter