Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K7 Rear Dial

Has anyone had trouble using the rear dial in any of the non auto modes? I've been trying to use M and can't get the rear dial to change anything. Reset to factory settings and still not working.
Thanks!

01-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you attempting to use the rear dial with a lens without the "A" aperture position, or with the aperture dial set to a number rather than the "A"? Other than that, I cannot think of anything that would cause this particular problem.
01-14-2011, 01:28 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Are you attempting to use the rear dial with a lens without the "A" aperture position, or with the aperture dial set to a number rather than the "A"? Other than that, I cannot think of anything that would cause this particular problem.
Other than a defective or dirty dial contact. It has happened but usually there is Some response. For now, I'm going with your suggestion until we learn otherwise.

01-14-2011, 01:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I shoot 90% in M and have never had this issue. I hope it's one of the potential causes above and that you can correct it without returning it for repair.

01-14-2011, 06:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what is the status of the battery?

I found that when I pushed the battery to the end of charge, the camera did not recognize properly the thumbwheels. it would still work but the thumbwheel reaction was eratic at best.

I think the pressure to have long battery life has pushed pentax to have the dead battery indication a little lower in voltage than the correct operating threshold of the thumbwheels (OOPS)
01-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
what is the status of the battery?

I found that when I pushed the battery to the end of charge, the camera did not recognize properly the thumbwheels. it would still work but the thumbwheel reaction was eratic at best.

I think the pressure to have long battery life has pushed pentax to have the dead battery indication a little lower in voltage than the correct operating threshold of the thumbwheels (OOPS)
Battery is full.

---------- Post added 01-14-11 at 05:22 PM ----------

So I went to the camera store and they told me that the K7 does have a history of rear dial problems. He checked my camera and it's definitely the dial. So, has ordered in another K7 and will test it's dial. If the dial works will give it to me and send mine to Pentax for repair. Great service! If the 2nd one fails, it will have to be repaired, but then will be as good as new!
01-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You might have a faulty e-dial control board in your camera. I had a similar problem with my K-7, and Pentax replaced the e-dial control board.

01-29-2011, 11:39 AM   #8

Had the same problem with my new K-5. Rear e-dial would be erratic and unresponsive. It was suggested in another forum to turn the dial backwards and forwards for a few minutes with the camera switched off. Tried this and problem solved - the dial is now working perfectly. Not sure how permanent a fix this is but if it saves sending the camera off for repair it's good enough for me.
01-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Johnny B Quote
Had the same problem with my new K-5. Rear e-dial would be erratic and unresponsive. It was suggested in another forum to turn the dial backwards and forwards for a few minutes with the camera switched off. Tried this and problem solved - the dial is now working perfectly. Not sure how permanent a fix this is but if it saves sending the camera off for repair it's good enough for me.
I had the same problem with my front dial on the K-5.
Tried the back/forwards trick and it worked for a while but then went back to being erratic.

Had to send the K-5 back because of staining, new one arrived yesterday and the dial is absolutely perfect.