Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #1

setting autofocus with the self timer

A quick thing before I actually get to my question...

I'm unbelievably grateful that this forum exists, I've already had probably dozens of questions answered from friendly forum members. I've had my K-x for about 3-4 months now and I'm completely in love with it.

Anyway, I've been scouring the manual and the forums to see if what I'm looking for is even possible with zero luck:

If I set up my my camera up on a table or a tripod and set the remote timer and then step in front of it to take a self portrait, is there a way to have the camera autofocus AFTER the timer has started but before the camera fires? Say, 5 or six seconds later?

I can get the actual camera to fire after a delay of course, but as soon as I depress the shutter button, the focus kicks in.

I apologize if this question has already been asked/answered.

Thanks!

01-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
on my K200D it is in the custom menu. Check the specific section of the k-x menu that addresses the custom menu options.
01-13-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think so. AF always happens first, and there doesn't seem to be an option to delay it.

You might be able to use a remote control instead, with a 3 second delay. You'd have to change option 11 in Custom Setting menu 2 to get AF with the remote control. Then you can be in position in front of the camera. The three second delay gives you a chance to ditch the remote.

The Pentax remote is tiny and convenient, but you can get a compatible remote from places like DealExtreme for $5.
01-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yeah, I figured there wasn't much of a way around that. Thanks for the help everyone!