Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K20D Loses DATE when turned off

Periodically, the date needs to be re-entered when I switch on my K20D. So I set the date, continue shooting, switch it off. Then when I switch it back on, the date needs to be re-entered again. It's only happened 3 or 4 times (I've had the camera since July '09). It has gone for several months without the problem but now it's happened again and it just will not retain the date after I reset it. The battery is fully charged, and I've done nothing different.

Has anyone else had this problem, or heard of it? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
TonyD

01-14-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Tony:

My experience with anything like what you describe was connected with a K20D camera not having any power supply for a while (like the battery was pulled out of the body overnight). I see you said that the battery was fully charged.... any chance that the battery could be old or faulty? How old is it? Any chance that the camera was left sitting in a cold environment for a while and the battery lost voltage? If the problem happened predictably and consistently, I'd be wondering if something is up with the camera circuitry... but if it only happens every so often, I'm wondering if there's something up with the battery.

Are the battery contacts clean? Any crud building up on the metal contacts?

I'd try a new or at least a different battery to see if you can duplicate the problem.

Best of luck,

germar
01-15-2011, 06:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
Germar,

Thanks for the comments. I have two batteries; one from July '09 and the other from Oct '10. I bought a battery grip in December (which I'm really happy with by the way) and keep it on the camera. Both batteries are charged. All was well until a few days ago. What's frustrating is that after setting the date and switching off the camera, when I switch it back on a moment or two later, I have to reset the date all over again even though the battery has been fully charged.

I'm just curious if anyone else has come across the problem.

I'll keep playing with it as I've done in the past.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!
01-15-2011, 06:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyD Quote
Germar,

Thanks for the comments. I have two batteries; one from July '09 and the other from Oct '10. I bought a battery grip in December (which I'm really happy with by the way) and keep it on the camera. Both batteries are charged. All was well until a few days ago. What's frustrating is that after setting the date and switching off the camera, when I switch it back on a moment or two later, I have to reset the date all over again even though the battery has been fully charged.

I'm just curious if anyone else has come across the problem.

I'll keep playing with it as I've done in the past.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!
Germar,

I forgot to mention that I have not checked the contacts but will do that today.

Thanks again.

01-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Hmmm .... Tony, your description does make it sound like there's something up with the camera. In the configuration you describe, it shouldn't behave that way.

Maybe someone else here has experience or a better idea.

Best of luck.
01-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tony, I have a K20D and never had that problem. (Knocks on wood!!)

I would think that if power was lost for an extended period of time, you'd lose other settings as well.

Just for grins, you might try using the K20 without the grip and see if that makes any difference. Only thing I can think of.
01-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds like the built-in batt is dead.
01-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Interesting, didn't know the K20 had an internal battery - is it user replaceable? Or, is it rechargeable somehow?

01-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Yes. I kinda wondered about that, because that's how I've seen other devices that have an onboard BIOS type battery do the same thing once the battery dies ....remove power and all the settings are "forgotten." But I didn't bring it up, as I never recall ever hearing of an on board battery for this reason on a Pentax digital camera. Is there such a beast?
01-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The DS & K100D do, and there is a good chance the K20D does too. I am not entirely certain the battery could be pop off though (I remember some did replace the batt but my memory could be wrong), but the camera back has to be removed first. Usually the built-in batt would last much longer if the main batt is loaded even if not used. Otherwise, the built-in batt would be drained a lot faster.
01-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #11

Original Poster
Well folks, thanks for all the interest. I tried cleaning the contacts but that didn't help. Then I decided to set the date/time again and leave the power on for a while (about an hour or more). When I switched the power off and then back on ... Bingo ... the date and time were OK. On and off again, and still OK. I read somewhere in a different thread that it could take some time for the internal battery to charge back up again (like some others, I didn't know there was an internal battery either). I'm hoping this will resolve the issue. But like I said in my original post, this has happened before so time will tell. If it does happen again, I'll leave it powered on for a while and see if that fixes it again. Maybe this will help others with the same issue. Thanks again!
01-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Some electronic devices use a capacitor instead of a battery. The capacitor gets recharged every time you put a battery in the device. But I think Pentax is using batteries instead of caps.

All electronic devices with a clock keeping time continuously need some type of power supply to keep the clock running.
01-19-2011, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

My ist-DL had the same problem but it's alright now.
Can't remember how I fixed it. It was either when I changed to decent batteries or firmware upgrade.
Anyhow it's time is kept by capacitor, best I could work out from the circuit is that it's the same capacitor as used for the flash.

Try tricking it by flipping up the flash and going through all the steps as if you're going to take a snap with flash, even push the shutter button half way down, but don't actually take the shot. Doing this should ensure that the capacitor is fully charged....Then switch off the camera and remove / replace batteries as quickly as possible and see if the time stays...This might also prove if the capacitor is faulty.

Chromo.

Last edited by chromo; 12-03-2011 at 05:35 AM.