Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
Pentaxian

advice in cold/wet environment

Hey guys, could you give me some advice and practical tips in caring my equipment (non-WR) whenever you shoot cold places (i.e. snow, foggy/misty places), I plan to shoot in those types of environment these coming days.

Thanks in advance.

01-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Don't breath on the optics if they are cold, and they will ice up. This includes the viewfinder eyepiece.
Bag the camera (or wrap it in a towel) before you take it inside and let it warm up before you unwrap it.
01-17-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
generally speaking you need to let the camera get to the temperature of wherever you are shooting without pushing it to the extremes. Most people keep their equipment in a bag that insulates to some degree so if you take the bag outside, going from warm inside environment to cold outside, you should let the whole bag get adjusted to the temperature so when you take your camera and such out its not too much of a jump in temperature. Likewise, when you take your camera inside from being out in the cold for long periods of time let it warm up in the bag for a while so it slowly get to the temperature of the room.
The smaller the amount of moisture the better obviously but if you do encounter moisture most will suggest keeping silica gel packs in your camera bag to absorb the moisture. Most of the online retailers sell packs of silica gel packs for this purpose. These are the same things that you typically find in new shoe boxes and such that say DO NOT EAT all over them. I have heard that if your camera get really saturated that you can pack it in rice and the rice will absorb the excess moisture if there is a lot of it. I have never tried this and I will not be responsible for the results of any experiments you choose to conduct!!! I would suggest though that it would be best to wrap the camera in paper towels or something before packing it in rice because I think rice gets sticky when it gets wet.
A few years ago my dog jumped on me while I was traversing a shallow river with my optio point and shoot in my hand without the wrist strap around my wrist. Sure enough the camera ended up in the drink totally submerged. I grabbed it out, took it home and let it dry out and a couple days later it worked just fine for about six months and then it got Gremlins and I had to get a new one. Whats the point? Its that Pentax cameras are awesome!
Just one more thing, cold weather drains batteries so keep some backups on hand and keep them in a pocket of your jacket or something close to your body so they stay warm and they should hold their charge longer.
01-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Going from a warm place to a cold one is not a problem, unlike what was stated in the post above. Going from a cold place to a heated one will "fog" all your lenses, mirror and viewfinder. When going from "cold" to "warm", you need to put the camera in an insulated bag (preferably with a bag of dessicant) and let it warm up slowly.

If you are taking pictures while it's snowing (not raining), putting a towel on the lens barrel will keep it dry and safe. The cold itself is not much of a problem. Just remember to bring spare batteries, since the cold weather will deplete them way faster than usual.

Have fun.

01-18-2011, 05:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you very much guys!