Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Cannot open back!

I can't open the camera back of my MeSuper, i've attempted lifting the film rewind knob and the back hasn't popped open. I've even tried using force but unfortunately that hasn't worked either!

Help!

01-16-2011, 01:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If I had that problem I'd take it to the local (ish) repair man, but you might not have one. The chap I would go to does it himself, he doesn't send stuff away.
01-16-2011, 03:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It could be that you didn't lift the rewind knob far enough. Or it could be that the light seals have turned to mush and cemented the back shut.
01-16-2011, 06:42 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is one of those things that is hard to help without actually being there. I had that happen with my MX many years ago and if memory serves me right, I just played around with it trying to relieve the tension until opened.
How long has it been sense you had it opened? If it has been a long time then Mike might have something there with the seals being mush. Maybe try squeezing back like you are trying to close it. If the latch has too much tension to let go, maybe that will free it.

01-16-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Have you tried kryptonite?

Bet Dr. Phil could get it to open up.
01-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Dr Phil would just use a sledge hammer. That would make good TV.

Last edited by Ron Kruger; 01-16-2011 at 08:53 AM. Reason: adding
01-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Somebody should use a sledge hammer on Dr Phil... Doctor.....

To the OP.. Try pressing down on the back where it latches while pulling up on the rewind knob. Sounds like it's jammed shut (could be glued shut as Mike suggests).

01-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Dr. Phil - "Now, le' me see if ahh have this raht. You used uh ten pound sledge hammer.."
Original Poster - "No Dr. Phil. It was only a five pound sledge hammer."
Dr. Phil - "You used uh five pound sledgehammer, tuh op'nup a Me Super camera? How'd that work for ya?"

bcher just be careful not to bend the back. You have some good advice so
far from the previous posters but the camera back and hinges can be bent if you
try to pry it open. Then you risk light leakage.
Make sure you are pulling the winder out fully, press a bit in the middle of the back and finally try using your finger nails to pull on the opening.

Last edited by Nowhere Matt; 01-16-2011 at 11:48 AM.
01-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

bcher,

It is summer in Australia is it not?

Put on the lens cap and place the camera in a sunny spot for an hour or so with the back facing the sun.

Then try to open it while it is still warm.

You might try every 15 minutes or so.

Mickey

Last edited by mickeyobe; 01-16-2011 at 11:52 AM.
01-16-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First, I would try to figure out if lifting the rewind knob is moving the latch. If the latch isn't moving, that is a difficult problem.

You can remove the bottom plate easily, just three screws. That at least allows you access to the bottom edge of the door, and a place to pry without cosmetic damage. On the MX I have in front of me, you can then see two screws holding the socket for the bottom hinge pin. Unfortunately, you can't get to the top hinge pin socket without removing the top plate, which is not too hard on the ME Super but still something I'd avoid.
01-17-2011, 04:07 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
yay

Thanks for all the help and wise words everyone!
I fiddled around a bit, pressing and pushing like you guys had said - it was just stuck. iIshould really have more patience. Hadn't opened it for a couple of months and that was the issue most likely

As to Doctor Phil, I'm sure Judge Judy would be more efficient and effective. haha

Thanks again to all!
01-17-2011, 04:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
First, I would try to figure out if lifting the rewind knob is moving the latch. If the latch isn't moving, that is a difficult problem.

You can remove the bottom plate easily, just three screws. That at least allows you access to the bottom edge of the door, and a place to pry without cosmetic damage. On the MX I have in front of me, you can then see two screws holding the socket for the bottom hinge pin. Unfortunately, you can't get to the top hinge pin socket without removing the top plate, which is not too hard on the ME Super but still something I'd avoid.
In the case of just needing to get a little more leverage on the back to pop it open, if there is no film in the camera you can take off the lens and open up the shutter on "B" (for those that have it), and use something to nudge against the pressure plate on the inside of the back. Have to be careful to use something that isn't going to scratch or mar the pressure plate, though. I wouldn't want to try this method, but it is an option. Also have to be very careful not to let the shutter go while you have something poked through there.