Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2011, 07:24 AM   #1

Filter & hood size - 77mm, 72mm, or less?

I am trying to get a good hood and 3 good filters for my K-r. I made a newbie mistake and got a 52mm hood and filter. Well, the hood is standard (and sticks out only an inch or so) but gives too much vignetting (at 18-24mm and probably higher). So I figure I should buy a step up ring or two, and a bigger hood and filters.

I know pros would step up to 72mm or 77mm. I think this is because when they do wide angle lenses they need it this wide. What about for me? Right now I only own the 18-55mm kit lens. Someday I would like a telephoto zoom and some lens(es?) for macro. Wide angle, maybe that too.

From what I can tell, the downside of using 72mm or 77mm is the filters cost more the bigger they are. Also taking up more space in my bag and weighing slightly more. The upside would be compatibility with wide angle lenses. Are there more upsides or downsides?

77mm seems like overkill to me and then less filters are compatible, compared to the selection at 72mm. Or not? And typically the filters would only cost about 30% more, being this size, right?

The main thing I disliked about going so big (I consider 72mm big) is that the hoods flare out and then my hood is really wide, the outer diameter of the hood would be around 80mm? On the other hand, it seems silly if I invest in 67mm or 62mm, isn't it?

Someday I would like to get a nice 1080p video camera, so if any of this works for the video camera, that would be nice too.

What else might I need to consider?

01-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #2

Original Poster
Also, I was just reading about a certain lens and how it blocks the viewfinder and flash sensor! Would I be blocking anything at 72mm or 77mm with a hood?
01-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lets back up a few steps.

Lens hoods are often designed specifically for each lens - if your kit lens didn't come with one, I suggest you buy the OEM pentax lens hood. This will eliminate any vignetting. The 'petal' shaped hood for the 18-55 is shaped that way to eliminate vignetting.

The 18-55 lens has 52mm filter threads. The correct size filter for that lens is 52mm. Some filters are expensive, and it is nice to be able to share them between lenses. That being said, filters get more expensive as they get larger - a 67 or 72mm filter is going to cost quite a bit more than 52mm.

I also struggled with this a bit. I use a 58mm circular polarizer on my DA 55-300, and a 52-58mm step ring to use it on my kit lens. That setup still fits inside the lens hood. If you get a larger step ring, you won't be able to use a bayonet hood.

That is one nice thing about the pentax primes - they almost all have 49mm filter threads.
01-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #4
MJL
Site Supporter

Filter size

Hi Kitty,

My experience is most lens manufacturers care less about what filter size owners already have, Penatx is one of them. Only specialty company like Hasselblad or Leica keep their filter size consistent as much as possible. I would buy the lens that I need first and worry about the filter size later. One thing for sure, be prepare to pay more for filter >67mm.

01-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eh, if you just have the one kit lens, just get the stock hood, and you can do fine with the filters. (AFAIK, Pentax has been pretty consistent about the filter sizes they use, as much as anyone. Don't worry about bigger filters till you find out what actual size you might need on a bigger lens. The proper hood for that kit lens will let you turn a polarizer without removing the hood and a lot of the rest. There probably aren't a ton of filters you'll actually want to put on a kit ens, anyway, a polarizer, and maybe, ...well, a polarizer... Maybe a diffuser or ND.
01-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

I use Cokin.

One holder (although I have several)...inexpensive holder rings to accommodate all my lenses...one Circular Polarizer which handles everything...and 5 cheap little lens hood modules to make the length of hood I want. (You clip as many as you want for the needed length, and just one module can take you to 18 with no vignetting.)

The Cokin polarizer and clones are not known to be the best, but in the big scheme of things and all the lenses I own, this is the best and cheapest solution. It's also the smallest solution for packing in your bag.
01-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Kitty Quote
Also, I was just reading about a certain lens and how it blocks the viewfinder and flash sensor! Would I be blocking anything at 72mm or 77mm with a hood?
Many hoods will screw up a pop-up flash because they block the flash output and cast a huge shadow, but in no way do they affect the viewfinder.
01-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks. I want a CPL, one or two graduated NDs, regular ND, and maybe one or two other.

I think I better to plan ahead and not have to rebuy -- if I know I'll get a macro & telephoto & ultra wide lens then should I get 68mm filters, 72mm, or what? Or I would be limiting myself if I picked one? It's better to buy a different hood for each?

I am trying to do things right and have good equipment, of course nothing like pros with big budgets, but something a pro would not be horrified with if they had to use it.

The CPL I ordered isn't slim type, and I read you can get vignetting with the CPL alone. I got it to save money and because I read the thinner CPL can be a pain to turn. But I didn't realize how bad vignetting can get (with the hood) but the filter should be better. I'll try it when I get it and decide.

I was wanting a rubber hood, and got one, since they collapse. But terrible vignetting. I would probably be willing to go plastic. Is there a slip on or push on that's any good? Which hoods are bayonet or slip on that fit this camera? I tried to read on bayonet hoods and I didn't find a good link about them.

01-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Is there a slip on or push on that's any good? Which hoods are bayonet or slip on that fit this camera? I tried to read on bayonet hoods and I didn't find a good link about them.
This is the OEM 18-55 hood.

Pentax PH-RBA Lens Hood 38741 B&H Photo Video

You simply turn it the other direction for storage.
01-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #10

Original Poster
I read the reviews on B&H and that stock hood does sound great. I might want to step up and use bigger filters however. I can still do that if it's not a very big one and only one or two filters?
01-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter

You can fit a 52-58 stepup ring and filter inside the stock hood.

If you're really concerned about it, consider a cokin setup like Ira mentioned above.
01-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #12

Original Poster
Oh, thanks for the info and link, that cokin setup looks nice and I'll think about it.
01-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks. I want a CPL, one or two graduated NDs, regular ND, and maybe one or two other.

I think I better to plan ahead and not have to rebuy -- if I know I'll get a macro & telephoto & ultra wide lens then should I get 68mm filters, 72mm, or what? Or I would be limiting myself if I picked one? It's better to buy a different hood for each?
Take Ira's advice. Get P-size Cokin filters and and adapter ring for the lens you have now. When you get a lens with a different filter size get another adapter ring. And get a lens hood for each lens - they are all different if you get a Pentax OEM or good copy.
01-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

You can also buy really cheap clone systems on eBay, and they sell sets of different size holder rings for peanuts.
01-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Since you mentioned a graduated ND, I can't imagine doing this with other than a cokin-like system. I use the plastic gray grads ($8 when I bought them in the '80s), but you can buy good quality grads for the cokin-compatible holders as well. If you can't shift the filter (change where the transition occurs), it really won't do you much good. And before someone mentions it, holding a plastic filter in front of the lens will chew up the filter - I'm on the last of my $8 filters and don't want to have to replace them at the current prices. It might be that I need the grads more than people with newer cameras (the k100 has less dynamic range than a k5, for example) but I find they are essential under a lot of circumstances. I felt that way with film too.

Sometimes I use a polarizer enough that I find it's important to have one for each lens, but I use relatively inexpensive polarizers. Honestly I think I'd lose as much having just one better quality expensive polarizer than several cheap ones, because I'd miss pictures while changing filters. Sometimes I use the k100 with one lens and the k200 with another, because again, what I lose in megapixels with the k100 I get back in terms of pictures I'd lose by seemingly always having the wrong lens on one camera.

Paul