Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
Inactive Account

ISO setting...Driving my crazy

Hi

I am trying to change my ISO setting and the book says the camera starts at ISO200. I even saw this last week when I first got my camera. However now I can't get it below 400. When I scroll to change the settings, it will not go below 400. Am I losing my mind or what? I have a dslr Pentax K-X

I would really appreciate any help. Thank you

Last edited by PentaxKX-2011; 01-19-2011 at 05:54 PM.
01-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
turn off the extended dynamic range option

this limits the lowest ISO to one full stop higher than the camera's lowest.

it's in the manual somewhere
01-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
turn off the extended dynamic range option

this limits the lowest ISO to one full stop higher than the camera's lowest.

it's in the manual somewhere
Yep, that did it. I should have posted in the "beginning" forum instead, sorry I will be more careful next time. Trying to go through the camera fast to make sure all functions work. Thank you very much!
01-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxKX-2011 Quote
I am trying to change my ISO setting and the book says the camera starts at ISO200.
FYI, the Kx starts at ISO 100 (the extended range) and goes up to 12800. You can turn this on in the custom settings menu.

01-18-2011, 01:01 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
FYI, the Kx starts at ISO 100 (the extended range) and goes up to 12800. You can turn this on in the custom settings menu.
Is there major advantages to turning the extended range on? Just wondering if most people with a k-x do this. Why is it not default?
01-18-2011, 03:10 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by camo Quote
Is there major advantages to turning the extended range on? Just wondering if most people with a k-x do this. Why is it not default?
Can't find the other recent thread on this, but a member's comparison shots showed significant more noise at 200 than 100.

On the Kx, you have to turn expanded sensitivity on and highlight correction OFF to access 100. I shoot in 100 99% of the time.
01-19-2011, 03:20 AM   #7
Forum Member

I think most of us who have the K-x switch on the expanded sensitivity, if only to have that option. You might like to take some practice shots
with 100 and 200 so that you can see the difference.

01-19-2011, 05:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Since you were stuck on ISO 400, it's clear that you're also using highlight and/or shadow correction. While they are great features, they are not intended to be left on all the time. They will help in some situations, hurt in others. Read the manual to see when the dynamic range features should be activated. If you only want to leave them on or off, then choose off.
01-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Like Ira said, to be able to use certain correction features you have to be at ISO 200 or higher and sometimes 400 or higher so that is why it's not by default.

If you compare ISO 200 to 100 I think you might not notice a difference unless you zoom into 100% so depending on how you plan to use your photos (3x4 print) ISO 200 will be enough or 16x19 print you would need to drop down to ISO 100.
01-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I saw the example on the other thread that Ira spoke of. the comparison shot was a pure blue sky at 100 and 200 cropped at 100%
the 100 was noticeably cleaner with less noise.

here is the link to the page

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/127350-iso-100-k-x-k-r.html
01-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all your help. I am chilling more now and taking the time to read the manual. I need to keep in mind I will not learn this overnight, it takes time. It gets overwhelming if you let it. Again thanks.
01-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxKX-2011 Quote
Thanks for all your help. I am chilling more now and taking the time to read the manual. I need to keep in mind I will not learn this overnight, it takes time. It gets overwhelming if you let it. Again thanks.
Well, take comfort in the fact that you're paying attention to the important things, or you're going to learn what IS important to YOU in the grand scheme of things.

The world isn't going to end and you're still going to get wonderful pictures at 200, 400 and higher. For all intent and purposes, shooting at 200 as opposed to 100 ain't gonna hurt you unless we're talking about those 100% crops or large-size printing, and even then, it's not going to hurt you that bad at all.

I shoot 100 because it's so sunny where I live, so I figure, what the heck. But I'm a maniac when it comes to convincing new shooters to always shoot manual ISO, that you should select it and not let the camera do it for you.

Doing it this way simply helps you learn faster about the interconnection of ISO, aperture, and shutter speed...gives you greater control...and better teaches you how to manipulate your settings for best effect on a particular shot.

For example, do you think there's any logical reason to use IS 400 on a sunny day in Miami Beach in July? Well, usually there isn't--but if you're shooting sprint runners, there IS, to give you a faster shutter speed. It's all about balancing the 3 elements.

You're on the right path and asking the right questions, that's for sure. So don't get aggravated or feel overwhelmed by "all there is to learn."

It's still mostly about those 3 things--ISO, aperture, and shutter speed.

Last edited by Ira; 01-19-2011 at 07:41 PM.
01-22-2011, 07:25 AM   #13

Here's the argument against it: the natural ISO of the K-x sensor is around 125, so using 100 means under-exposing and then scaling, which reduces the dynamic range.

However, this argument is controversial, with some tests claiming the dynamic range is actually higher at ISO 100 than ISO 200. Even if there is some loss in range, it's probably very slight. It may be worth the increase in quality (although that's also pretty slight), or the benefit of being able to use a faster shutter speed. Especially as many scenes won't need the full dynamic range anyway, and you can check the photo (eg with the histogram) and retake it if there's a problem.

Some people claim ISO 100 isn't the default merely because it's too hard for beginners to use. I don't see it, myself. Partly because I don't think it is any harder for beginners. If they are using an Auto mode, the camera will do it for them, and if they are using a manual mode they need to understand exposure anyway. They are no more likely to get bad pictures from ISO 100 than ISO 1600. In addition, if there wasn't a drawback to low ISO, why not allow ISO 50 or ISO 25 (at least for experts)? They'd be useful sometimes for the slower shutter speeds, even if they didn't improve quality over ISO 200.