Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well the camera arrived with hacked firmware (0.10) but I thought it was normal firmware (later I found out normal firmware is 1.00)

So went to update the firmware because the menu was weird (because it was hacked firmware)

So I download the newest firmware (so far sensible)

But it said I needed to incrementally update

So I Googled and found the previous firmware (OK, not weird)

It was from Pentax K-M but since K2000 and K-M are the same body I tried it out - an going from hacked firmware 0.10 to K-M firmware 1.10 is what caused the problem.

But I guess you are right, I'm changing the title of this thread to "Adventures in firmware flashing gone wrong"

So it was the 0.10 that corrupted my camera, if I'd received it with it's normal 1.00 I would have been all set.

Also if the seller had been the actual owner he could have told me what was going on with the camera, but the camera was sold to me by a 3rd party that doesn't know anything about cameras and claimed it was "excellent".

So really it's a lack of communication and a hack that caused the problem.

Also the camera isn't really "broke", it just has the wrong firmware, it can still take photos but they are all pink. I am confident that once the right firmware is on there the hardware itself all works just fine.

01-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #32
Veteran Member

You might be right all will be well once the right firmware is on, but I still think you should simply have returned it to the seller in the first place and that in not doing so you have substantially eroded your rights (whatever they might be).

I am also puzzled you couldn't find Pentax K2000 firmware:

Latest K2000 Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

This is version 1.11 and the upgrade is for cameras running Ver. 1.00 and Ver. 1.10, so its looks like it's complete - no need for an incremental update.
01-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, well I just got confirmation from eBay, I can return it for a full refund.

I also called a Pentax authorized repair center and spoke to a tech, he said that when a hacked firmware in installed sometimes they can fix ti with Pentax's proprietary software - but other times it's impossible to get the camera back to specs and they have to dismantle the camera and replace the board.

So avoid hacked firmware

OK case closed!
01-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
hope you find a working camera soon
and congrats on the ebay confirmation..it was the best course of action

01-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks

I just ordered a K-X
01-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
good welcome to the club...you'll see what an amazing camera you'll get
01-22-2011, 07:42 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome, I actually rant about it here :

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/129995-hey-i-ordered-k-x.html

I rant a lot and keep a soap box nearby at all times