Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Adventures in firmware flashing gone wrong

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resolved

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yikes, my K2000 came with firmware 0.10, which I think is a weird hack. So I downloaded k-m firmware 1.10 and now the photos are all pink and corrupt.

I try to upgrade it to 1.11 K2000 firmware and I can't do it.

I found in another thread the debug tool (MODSET.464), can I go into the debug menu and force it to update to 1.11 K2000 firmware ?

Or can I get back to 1.00 firmware for K2000 ?

Right now the camera works properly but the photos are all screwed up

I talked to tech support and it was less helpful than talking to plants.

Help

Last edited by spystyle; 01-21-2011 at 09:40 AM.
01-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you return the camera? It shouldn't have come with 0.1...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can, it was an eBay purchase.

In the interest of time, I'd like to fix it - do you think it's possible ?
01-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by spystyle Quote
I can, it was an eBay purchase.

In the interest of time, I'd like to fix it - do you think it's possible ?
Just return it, especially if you can't reflash it. You're going to spend more time and money screwing around with it than it's worth.

After re-reading your post, I'm confused why you used a K-m firmware on a K2000. I know that supposedly the same but Pentax does have 2 unique fw downloads for the cameras. I'm surprised it even worked at all.

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/download_digital.html

01-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, will do (shrug)
01-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am in talks with the seller to return it (eBay has a lot of BUYER protection so I'm in the clear, as a seller I get screwed a lot though LOL)

but as I wait, as I look at this lovely Pentax creation, I can't help but wonder if I can fix it ?

In the debug menu I am able to copy the eeprom to SD card, and vice versa - while I only barely understand it, I get the impression that I can overwrite the eeprom with one from a not corrupt K2000 ???

Also I wonder if there is a service manual for k-m or k2000 that I could refer to, it might say how to "force install" the correct firmware.

This camera is bound for the service center so I've got nothing to lose...
01-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Why would you install firmware for a camera that you're not meant to install it on?

Yeah, it's going to a service center, and it's gonna cost.

01-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tried to install the K2000 firmware, but it wouldn't go, it only took the K-M firmware, but then it broke.

The tech support guy I talked to said I could use either firmware as they are exactly the same bodies.

I am confident the camera arrived with a hacked firmware on there in the first place - it had a part of the menu for a battery grip, and of course there is no battery grip for the K2000. It was called 0.10 and I think it was actually a k200d firmware hacked to go on k2000.

I think all K2000 came from the factory with the 1.00 firmware.

Had I known what to do with the hacked camera maybe I could have done something, but I didn't know anything. I assumed it was factory straight.

The hacked firmware did not have shake reduction, so the previous owner scraped off the shake reduction sticker (weird).

I did not buy the camera directly from the owner otherwise he might have given me a clue - but I bought it from one of those reseller places. Like "I sell your stuff on eBay" sort of place.

They didn't know anything about the camera and described it as excellent etc.

Last edited by spystyle; 01-19-2011 at 02:26 PM.
01-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

I would return it and skip the service center.
01-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I can get a K2000 for like $230 on eBay.

The only way I'd keep this broken K2000 is if they let me have it for $50 total, then I'd gamble with the service center, and hope they could fix it for $100

I offered that but the seller is being a hot head and sending me mean letters with all CAPS

Oh well, eBay will just take the money out of their PayPal account, that's how it works.

But still, I wish I could fix it A broken Pentax dSLR is a sad sight !!!

If Pentax would release the service manual and software we could possibly do it ourselves...
01-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I tried to install the K2000 firmware, but it wouldn't go, it only took the K-M firmware, but then it broke.

The tech support guy I talked to said I could use either firmware as they are exactly the same bodies.

I am confident the camera arrived with a hacked firmware on there in the first place - it had a part of the menu for a battery grip, and of course there is no battery grip for the K2000. It was called 0.10 and I think it was actually a k200d firmware hacked to go on k2000.

I think all K2000 came from the factory with the 1.00 firmware.

Had I known what to do with the hacked camera maybe I could have done something, but I didn't know anything. I assumed it was factory straight.

The hacked firmware did not have shake reduction, so the previous owner scraped off the shake reduction sticker (weird).

I did not buy the camera directly from the owner otherwise he might have given me a clue - but I bought it from one of those reseller places. Like "I sell your stuff on eBay" sort of place.

They didn't know anything about the camera and described it as excellent etc.
You should have returned it right then and there. You have now modified the camera from what you got. I hope you report THAT on the claim.

01-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes I did

I followed tech support's advice, so I didn't do anything wacky.

Anyway, I just bought the camera from a faceless reseller, they wait a long time to ship, then ship via UPS ground, you know the type.
01-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Yes I did

I followed tech support's advice, so I didn't do anything wacky.

Anyway, I just bought the camera from a faceless reseller, they wait a long time to ship, then ship via UPS ground, you know the type.
Good luck with it.

01-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Do we have a resident repair guy in this forum ?
01-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account

Do we have a resident repair guy in this forum ?
If you have a busted toilet, I'm your guy.