Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2011, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good site for help with composition

After taking numerous bad photos, I've decided to try and get back to the basics. I found this website (which I think was originally referred to me by a forum member) which has a lot of good articles on composition.

Just thought I'd pass this along for anyone else who might benefit from it, I'm finding it very helpful and am looking forward to getting out and practicing these techniques.

Photography Composition Articles Library

01-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great site... I also like digital photography school.com.
01-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd also encourage you to find a gallery nearby. There's something completely different about viewing large prints on a wall, compared to images on a screen. Some things don't come thru on the screen, others don't on a wall.

Best thing you can do is look at as many pics as you can, and make mental notes of what your respond to.
01-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grainbelt Quote
I'd also encourage you to find a gallery nearby. There's something completely different about viewing large prints on a wall, compared to images on a screen. Some things don't come thru on the screen, others don't on a wall.

Best thing you can do is look at as many pics as you can, and make mental notes of what your respond to.
I absolutely agree with this... Check out your local photographic galleries.

I'm lucky in that the city I live in is home to a national photographic museum, dedicated photographic galleries and a thriving general arts scene as such it has a strong network of working artists and photographers putting on frequent workshops and tutorial sessions based out of the museum but more often the smaller galleries... Went to a lightroom tutorial workshop session last week which was awesome!

01-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I also like digital photography school.com Good stuff on there. A gallery is a good idea and one I've never really thought about doing. Thanks everyone!
01-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

And an online critique Flickr group (real critiques, not just 'great capture'!):

Flickr: Photography Critique
01-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
And an online critique Flickr group (real critiques, not just 'great capture'!):

Flickr: Photography Critique
I just found that yesterday. I'll probably use that. Thanks for the suggestion!
01-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Great suggestions! For those new to the forums, there's a photo critique section right here.

Photo Critique - PentaxForums.com

Paul

01-20-2011, 09:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've received a lot of good advice the the critique section of this forum. I do recommend it.