Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #1

*istDL Takes Black Pictures

Hey There,
I just got a used *istDL for next to nothing. I knew in advance that it had this problem. I figured that it was worth a shot to see if I can get it going again.
Anyways everything seems to work in the menu, lcd screen, the mirror is working, the af works fine, it has fresh eneloops, the lens cap is off. The sd card is confirmed good in the k100d and I have tried formatting it in the camera, I have tried a reset and the firmware is the latest one.

I will go through the process of taking a picture and press the shutter to take the picture. It goes through its process as well the sd light comes on and brings up the preview of the pic. The pic is black and so is every one that is taken. I put some pics from a k100d on the card and I can see them in the lcd so I think the lcd is working.
I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and how you fixed it? Taking the camera apart is not a problem but before I do it I just wanted to know what every ones thoughts are on it.

I suspect a bad sd slot but I am not sure until I take it apart. If I have missed anything please let me know.
Thanks,
Have a great day!

01-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #2

Sensor toast?
01-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think Donkeypunch may be right on this one unfortunately. I read a post like this elsewhere a while back. Canon guy. Old Rebel. He sent his camera in and it turned out it was the sensor. They wouldn't even fix it, said it would have taken him more to fix it than it was worth. Hope it didn't cost too much.

01-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #4

Original Poster
Ya I was thinking about the sensor too. I'll take it apart anyways and see what happens.

01-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
Just a quick update. I took it apart and a couple of the metal contacts in the sd slot are broken. I'm hoping that's the problem. I just got to get a replacement sd slot now.
Anyone know where I can get them in Canada?
thanks
01-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tpx60s Quote
Just a quick update. I took it apart and a couple of the metal contacts in the sd slot are broken. I'm hoping that's the problem. I just got to get a replacement sd slot now.
Anyone know where I can get them in Canada?
thanks
I have an exploded parts diagram for the ist DS (should be essentially the same as the DL) that I'd be happy to send you. Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll get it off to you.
01-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
Forum Member

I had exactly this issue with the first Kx I got. I took the lens off and put it into mirror lock-up (sensor cleaning) mode... turns out the protective shutter over the sensor wasn't opening. This also resolved itself after 3 days of not using the camera, but I exchanged it anyway...

Worth a check.

01-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #8

Original Poster
Hi ChipB- thanks for the offer! I already have the service manual for the istdl so I am good. I really appreciate it though.
sgtkashim how long did you put into mirror lock up for? The person I bought it from said that he had it in storage for a couple of months and it worked when he turned it on later then it just started doing the black pics.
01-19-2011, 11:34 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tpx60s Quote
Hi ChipB- thanks for the offer! I already have the service manual for the istdl so I am good. I really appreciate it though.
sgtkashim how long did you put into mirror lock up for? The person I bought it from said that he had it in storage for a couple of months and it worked when he turned it on later then it just started doing the black pics.
By mirror lockup I meant the sensor cleaning mode - it turns off the sensor, raises the mirror and opens the shutter. I don't think length of time has anything to do with it. I used that to test the shutter - make sure it was actually opening. It went black about a week after I bought it, though, while I was riding the train in to work.

I think if you had a bad card bay, it wouldn't even record black images - the fact that it's recording anything at all (and the fact that it plays back images) says to me there isn't anything wrong with the card bay. I'd check the shutter. If the shutter's fine, the sensor could have lost a line somewhere... but I think that would generate an error in firmware - you'd see an error displayed on the back LCD.
01-20-2011, 01:15 AM   #10

black pictures, relevant to my K2k.

When i bought my K2000 around september 2009,
all the camera functions worked correctly just that it didn't produce anything but black..
so i returned it to local store where i bought it and they send it for replacement.

Got whole new body in few days and they told me:
"it turned out one of the processors was missing from the body."

did sound very weird to me but who knows.
01-20-2011, 03:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Donkeypunch Quote
Sensor toast?
A shame the camera doesn't have Live View - that would have been an easy way to check the sensor.
01-21-2011, 03:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

does it have digital dof preview? Maybe that image is not written on the card?
01-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The other possibility is the shutter, it might be broken & blocking all light. It would be another case of not being worth it to fix though.
01-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #14

Original Poster
ovim- there's a black image being written to the card. it takes up the usual amount of space that it would take if it was a "good" picture. to my knowledge it does not have digital dof preview- if I am wrong please somebody correct me.
Jonathan Mac-how do I check for a broken shutter? if you don't mind me asking
01-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #15

Original Poster
as an fyi I found out from the gentleman that I bought it from that he had taken it in to get the viewfinder and the ccd cleaned. he then stored it for a couple of months. I wonder if it was damaged during the cleaning process.

I'm curious when the mirror is locked up what is the bottom (i'm assuming this is the ccd) supposed to look like? I see what looks like a smaller mirror that's on an angle.