Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20D to TV Set?

Can someone tell me how to connect my K20D to the TV? I read the instructions but can't seem to get it. If you can help me, it might be good to know that I often need help in using my very seldom used cell phone to make a call...No, I am not a technical person, so about the third grade level would be best for me.......actually, I did better in the second grade, but whatever you can provide will sure be appreciated!
Best Regards
Rupert

01-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Exactly how to do it depends on your television but...

You should have received with your K20d a cable that has a USB looking thing on one end and an RCA type plug on the other end. Plug the mini USB type end into your camera (I think it's the same socket you would use for Remote Assistant). Plug the other end into a Video Input (usually Yellow) jack on your television. Select the appropriate input on your TV and that should be all there is to it. If you want further help you'll have to tell what type of TV (brand and model) you have.

IF you still have your manual, it's on page 191...

Last edited by JeffJS; 01-19-2011 at 05:11 PM.
01-19-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I read p191, did all that, but get no picture. Since the LCD goes blank, I have no way of knowing what is happening......or not happening, which is more the case. The TV is disconnected from cable, the camera is on and the TV is on...I have tried different channels, but still get nothing...maybe we should go to First Grade language for me now? I did great in the First Grade.....just use some Crayon Drawings and I will pick it up fast! Is the camera supposed to be on a certain setting, and what might that be?
Regards!
01-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You will need to set your TV to AV1, AV2, or whatever input you are using. To do this, you will also need to read your TV manual.

01-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I read p191, did all that, but get no picture. Since the LCD goes blank, I have no way of knowing what is happening......or not happening, which is more the case. The TV is disconnected from cable, the camera is on and the TV is on...I have tried different channels, but still get nothing...maybe we should go to First Grade language for me now? I did great in the First Grade.....just use some Crayon Drawings and I will pick it up fast! Is the camera supposed to be on a certain setting, and what might that be?
Regards!
QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
You will need to set your TV to AV1, AV2, or whatever input you are using. To do this, you will also need to read your TV manual.
^^^^^^

What he said. That's why I asked which TV you have. There should be an Input button or something like that on your TV remote. I would assume that you watch DVDs or Video Tapes? Somehow you select the input to watch them.

01-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I found the AV1 AV2 etc on the remote and tried it, but still can't get a photo on screen. Is there some way you should start the camera "rolling" the shots or is it automatic?
Regards!
01-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I just tested with my K20D - works like a charm - selected "AV1" (your setup my be different), plugged the cable into the AV1 input (yellow connector), other end into the "PC Video" connection on the K20, turned on the camera and selected "playback" - Viola!! Pics on TV! Depending on your TV setup, you might have to change the aspec ratio so your pics look right. Good luck.
01-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I found the AV1 AV2 etc on the remote and tried it, but still can't get a photo on screen. Is there some way you should start the camera "rolling" the shots or is it automatic?
Regards!
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
I just tested with my K20D - works like a charm - selected "AV1" (your setup my be different), plugged the cable into the AV1 input (yellow connector), other end into the "PC Video" connection on the K20, turned on the camera and selected "playback" - Viola!! Pics on TV! Depending on your TV setup, you might have to change the aspec ratio so your pics look right. Good luck.
^^^^^^^

What he said.

I no longer have the cable to test it so don't take this as gospel but you Should be able to see whatever would be on your LCD (Menus, etc) on your TV as well.

01-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
I just tested with my K20D - works like a charm - selected "AV1" (your setup my be different), plugged the cable into the AV1 input (yellow connector), other end into the "PC Video" connection on the K20, [COLOR="Yellow"][COLOR="Red"]turned on the camera and selected "playback" - Viola!! Pics on TV! Depending on your TVsetup, you might have to change the aspec ratio so your pics look right. Good luck.
As is stated in the manual, and as I have found, the instant you turn on the camera with the plug installed and connected, the screen on the LCD goes blank......so how do you get to Playback mode in the camera?
Regards!
01-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #10
Inactive Account

You Really have JUST (only) taken pictures with your camera, haven't you? Imagine that... Using the tool for it's intended purpose

There is a button on the left of the screen that is an arrow inside of a box. That's the playback (it's the one on the bottom). You should be able to cycle through the images with the 4 way controller, zoom in with the e-dial (rear), etc.

01-19-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll try it again in the morning, Mrs Rupert just ran me out of there and said she was tired of me playing with her TV tonight. I have another larger one, but I can't get to the connections easily. She leaves for work early, I'll give it another try then. I'm already on thin ice, I pretty much skate my whole life there, but there is no need to push my luck tonight. She caught me surfing the net earlier and was ticked....no,not what you think....I was lens shopping and was in the check out area, just to see the price, but she didn't believe it.
Regards!

---------- Post added 01-20-11 at 10:11 AM ----------

OK, Mrs Rupert is gone and I tried again....Got it! I now feel like a High Tech Wizard, Thanks!

.....I wanted to see if I could shoot and view the results instantly on the TV while connected, and I can! I can make adjustments to the settings etc. and instantly view the results. which could be very helpful in shooting portraits. Shoot and view on the large screen at the same instant, very neat!

Next Question: Since the TV is not calibrated and does not have the resolution of a Monitor, can I make a similar connection to a Monitor? Would maybe a Monitor that could also double as a TV screen be useful or just what would the best set-up be to view the photos on a good resolution screen?
Best Regards! & Thanks!
01-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Next Question: Since the TV is not calibrated and does not have the resolution of a Monitor, can I make a similar connection to a Monitor? Would maybe a Monitor that could also double as a TV screen be useful or just what would the best set-up be to view the photos on a good resolution screen?
Best Regards! & Thanks!
With the K20D, you can use the Pentax-supplied software for tethering to a computer. That should give you the most functions with the least trouble.

I have a K-7 which has a jack for an HDMI cable, and a new computer monitor with an extra HDMI port. I can make the connection easily. I don't know about calibration; that might work if the monitor was able to hold onto its settings after being calibrated by a computer.
01-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
With the K20D, you can use the Pentax-supplied software for tethering to a computer. That should give you the most functions with the least trouble.

I have a K-7 which has a jack for an HDMI cable, and a new computer monitor with an extra HDMI port. I can make the connection easily. I don't know about calibration; that might work if the monitor was able to hold onto its settings after being calibrated by a computer.
You can control everything about the camera with Tethering. The only flaw of it is, 64 bit windows applications don't seem to support it very well. If you're running a Windows XP machine (as far as I've tested it with 32 bit operating systems), you're golden. My windows 7 laptop is very finicky about remote assistant. Tethering also does not give you a live view, which it sounds like what you may be after. You only see photos after the fact and they are saved to the computer rather than written to the card. It's a nice feature to have if you can make use of it but I never got much from it other than some playing around.

To more accurately answer your question Rupert, with a composite signal like that coming from the cable on the camera, you won't get any better images on a monitor. Other than the fact that the monitor will be smaller. Look at the difference between your camera's LCD and your television. The bigger the TV screen, the worse the image will look. You just simply are not filling the sceen with real information, everything is stretched out.

Somehow you can probably adjust your television for better photo viewing but other than an extension of the camera screen, you aren't going to get a Whole lot better. The best thing you can probably do is take a photo of a White background, show it on the television, and adjust until it looks proper white.

01-21-2011, 06:23 AM   #14
Pentaxian

tethering is good if doing desktop macros or a string of similar images such as school IDs or student photos using a set lighting set up. A real time saver in that case.
01-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses, it has helped make things clearer for me. It might be useful to some degree but it won't provide what I was hoping. As it is now, I shoot a dozen or shots, pull the card and view on a monitor, which is not a bad set up, but does not give you real time information.
Best Regards