Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A Rocket Blower has been enough to take care of any dust on the sensor for me.

01-31-2011, 06:21 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks fellas I just had an adventure in untrained sensor cleaning LOL

I tried it with a "lens pen" brush and vacuum, I will order a rocket blower and maybe a sensor swab...

In other news, I also bought a 55-200mm "DA L" for $120 delivered, brand new.

I like it a lot Though I kinda miss the internal lens motors. Otherwise the transition from Nikon to Pentax has been nice. Tomorrow I'm taking my camera for a walk in the park, if they've removed the snow ...

We are buried in snow right now, it's such a bland landscape.

OK have fun!
Craig

Last edited by spystyle; 02-02-2011 at 10:09 PM.
02-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I find the autofocus with 18-55 DAL and 55-200 DAL fast but noisy, I am inclined to start with manual focus and get it "close", then use autofocus.

It seems like if it has to go "far" it's crazy loud.

I would take slow quiet autofocus over fast loud autofocus, is that an option ? Can I set the focus speed ?

(That was probably a dumb question)

This is what happens when I switch from silent motor to screw mount AF (LOL)

----

Other than that, I am really enjoying my Pentax K-X. It's rockin'

02-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
50-200 or 55-300???

Or have I missed something?

02-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #35
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by spystyle Quote

I would take slow quiet autofocus over fast loud autofocus, is that an option ? Can I set the focus speed ?

(That was probably a dumb question)

This is what happens when I switch from silent motor to screw mount AF (LOL)

No you can't adjust focus speed - most people want focusing to be as fast and accurate as possible. Nevertheless, there are a number of DC and SDM lenses that are whisper quiet:

The one that would suit you best would probably be the new DA 18-135.
02-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks,

and oops, I wrote 55~200 but I have a 50~200 DAL (55~200 was my old Nikon lens LOL)
02-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #37
Forum Member

and now for an evil thought

Pentax released a newer update for the K-X. like yours, my K-X also is white. firmware 1.02 adds support for SDXC cards, or if you wonder what is so special about SDXC, it is any SD card over 32 GB to 2 TB. SDHC was for 4GB to 32GB. I always have a 16 GB card kept with mine. if you want to shoot video, the extra support should help. but if you are like me, the extra space hold the full resolution pictures, and who could not like having space for 2467 pictures... but as the old adage suggests, better to have several cards in case a card goes bad. some may that the Sandisk eXtreme cards are fast, not finding much speed limits on a class 4 card. as for batteries, some swear by enloops, I prefer energizer brand with the rating of 2500 MA. 1 item to have with rechargeable batteries is a plastic AA holder for 4 batteries, amazon has some of the best offers for them, such as here: Amazon.com: AA battery holder case: Electronics. if amazon is not shipping the item, you pay 2.99 to 3.99 for shipping. but for 19.95 from bugeyedigital, you get free shipping for 10 cases, best option for several sets. I would go for a case of 10, never know when you may want to have extra sets for other usage of AA and AAA batteries. just a thought.
02-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for chiming in

04-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
No you can't adjust focus speed - most people want focusing to be as fast and accurate as possible. Nevertheless, there are a number of DC and SDM lenses that are whisper quiet:

The one that would suit you best would probably be the new DA 18-135.
That's crazy expensive LOL, $600 yikes! It cost more than the camera.

Sigma HSM looks good

I was outside with my K-X today with kit lens and did not hear the focus motor, I guess it's only noticeable in quiet settings. But the Sigma HSM kit lens replacements do look interesting...

OK have fun!
Craig
04-23-2011, 12:06 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by spystyle Quote
That's crazy expensive LOL, $600 yikes! It cost more than the camera.

Sigma HSM looks good

I was outside with my K-X today with kit lens and did not hear the focus motor, I guess it's only noticeable in quiet settings. But the Sigma HSM kit lens replacements do look interesting...

OK have fun!
Craig
I have the Sigma 50-150 HSM: it is whisper quiet and super fast focussing on my K-x.
04-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well the lack of a battery grip was driving me batty, especially when I used heavy film era flashes or heavy film era zoom lenses, I really missed having a big grip to balance it all.

I happened to have my (Nikon) D40 battery grip by Targus left over. I've been modifying it to fit. It's a paint in the butt and not especially effective, but when I'm finished there will be room inside for 4 spare "AA" batteries and a spare SD card. It is also possible to solder the vertical shutter button to a shutter remote.

Because the grip is passive, I can't call it a battery grip, I think I'll call it a love handle LOL

Here are some poor pics detailing the modifications, though I'm not completely done yet...

(the tripod socket wheel had to be moved back a little bit)

(Now the back lip fits well)

(I use a pencil to mark where it has to be cut)

More cutting

I use JB Weld to cover any holes I don't want, it's like adding plastic.

This is my idea about connecting the vertical shutter button to a shutter release remote

There is an on / off switch that used to enable or disable the vertical shutter button, I tested it with my multi meter and it has continuity when "on" and does not have continuity when "off".

There is also a momentary switch as the vertical shutter button. I can solder the momentary switch's 2 wires to the 2 contact points on the shutter release remote - then I can solder the 2 wires coming out of the on / off switch to one of the momentary switch's wires - this means the momentary switch will only work when the on / off switch is set to on.

So the vertical shutter button can be turned on and off. Then to use I'll have to go into the camera's menu and enable remote shutter release, it's not perfect but it's better than nothing. The little LED at the tip of the remote is an Infrared transmitter, like an antenna - so it can't be covered, I'll have to arrange it so it's pointing out of a hole in the grip.

The remote has to remain in it's case as the case holds the battery. The back of the case has to be accessible for changing batteries occasionally.

Here it is almost finished

It fits pretty good, but it's not perfect. I'd rather have a grip that actually uses 2 rechargeable lithium batteries and adds a vertical shutter release, but this is better than nothing

After this, and seeing the other thread (where a fella took an N75 film camera battery grip and modified it(*) I think practically any battery grip can be modified to fit a K-X passively

I wonder if the K100D grip could be modified to actively fit the K-X ?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/96319-battery-grip-k-x-4.html

In other news I ordered a PTTL flash for $60 delivered. Digital Concepts 918AF

As reviewed here :

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/49880-d...tml#post476496

OK have fun!
Craig

Last edited by spystyle; 04-27-2011 at 01:09 PM.
04-30-2011, 02:56 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Wow, I don't have a Kx but this is an excellent job !
Congratulations, man
07-14-2011, 03:06 AM   #43
Inactive Account

So How is the Grip Coming along?
07-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To answer your question about the grip - IIR it's available if anyone wants it.

---------------

Hey I'm back

OK, I sold the K-X and all my Pentax stuff except for a couple film cameras and the 50-200mm lens.

I bought a Nikon D200 and learned that not all DX cameras have small viewfinders LOL. Also not all Nikon cameras are "crippled". I tried the Nikon 18-200mm lens too and the entire lot was too heavy for my liking.

So I sold that and I just ordered a Pentax K200D with 18-55 "WR" lens and battery grip

Here are the pics from the auction, it looks good

It has less than 1,300 shutter actuations so I consider it "new"

We'll see how it goes but from what I've read on Dpreview I bet it's just what I like

Pentax K200D Review: 29. Conclusion: Digital Photography Review

I suppose it has a nice big viewfinder, a quiet AF motor, good image quality, and I can bring it out in bad weather

We'll see how it goes but I bet I'll like it. It seems to replace the D200 but with less weight and all the Pentax goodness.

It lacks the K-X's amazing high ISO.

I will not miss the noisy AF of the K-X, it's a matter of preference, but I like a nice balance between noise and speed. I feel the K-X's AF was all about speed with no regard for noise.

I also didn't find the K-X viewfinder to be too great, but I expect the K200D's viewfinder will be big like the D200's was.

I have my eye on the Sigma 10-20mm lens next

I'll post some pics when the K200D comes in

I don't have any extreme brand loyalty, I try a variety of different cameras, but I have some conclusions :

(my opinion only)

1. Pentax is the most virtuous.
2. Nikon, in some cases, removes backwards compatibility for no good reason.
3. Olympus, in some cases, has the smallest viewfinders.
4. Canon, in some cases, has the most flimsy cameras.
5. Kodak, they make affordable pocket cameras LOL

I have yet to try a "mirror-less interchangeable lens camera", but I don't like the trend of sensors shrinking.

First they shrunk our viewfinders into keyholes, now they are shrinking our sensors into ladybugs sized squares and smaller ? I am waiting for someone to come out with a medium format digital for $1k LOL, but instead the trend seems to be to make dSLR's indistinguishable from cell phones.

Cheers!
Craig

---------------

Update :

Well I received in the mail the K200D body, the 18-55 WR lens, and D-BG3 battery grip. It's all very nice

I find the build quality of the 3 items to be excellent.

1. Body : The K200D is very nice

Viewfinder - The viewfinder is nice in an "entry level" way, it is smaller than the Nikon D200 but larger than the Nikon D40 (according to snapsort.com).

Build - The build quality is excellent. It's solid but not especially heavy.

Startup - It starts quickly, I don't need to leave it "on" all the time for fear of missing a shot.

ISO - The ISO range is very limited for this time (July 2011), a range of 100-1600 would be a hard sell to some. But I use "strobist" flash or fast lenses so it's not a big deal for me. The range of ISO is like Nikon's D50 in 2005, but with the addition of ISO 100. I will probably find ISO 100 more useful than ISO 3200. This camera was released Q4 2008, and it has the K10D's image sensor of Q4 2006. So a sensor from 2006 would explain the limited ISO range.

Camera's controls - the controls and screen are pretty easy to navigate, while dedicated buttons for aperture, ISO, and shutter speed, would have been nice, they are easy enough to change using the back and top LCD.

Camera's grip - It's easy for me to grip, I am a tall fella with big hands. I could use the camera one-handed if I had to (like holding an accessory for a few shots). My daughter is 13 years old and smaller, she also finds the grip comfortable.

Shutter sound - to my ears the shutter sounds very quiet Probably due to the body being weather sealed.

Image quality - According to snapsort the image quality is comparable to Nikon D80, August 9, 2006 (DX midrange), and Nikon D40X, March 6, 2007 (DX, entry level). Which is reasonable as the sensor is from Q4 2006. I find the image quality to be similar to the D200 I recently sold. I like it just fine Good quality 10 megapixel images, there is room for cropping.

File sizes - Curiously the 10 MP JPEG and RAW files are about 20% larger than the ones from 10 MP Nikon D200

Weather sealed - this is so amazing, it's not to be overlooked. If more photographers could "transcend brands" they'd have no reason not to buy a weather sealed camera and lens from Pentax. While Nikon has some weather sealed bodies, it makes more sense to have a weather sealed lens attached to it LOL. I am not aware of any other dSLR manufacturers who cater to the aqua-phobics I was shooting an equestrian event once with my Nikon D40, it began to rain and I had to leave because I didn't have an umbrella. My camera got a little wet and I was very nervous. I have also hiked in a blizzard, with an umbrella, but I did not dare to bring my "real" camera so I only had my pocket camera. (See http://www.flickr.com/photos/41681212@N02/5420544554/ ) I bet I could have gotten much better photos with a dSLR and a tripod. Now I can really go shooting in any weather, it's quite empowering

2. "WR" Lens : I have previously owned the 18-55 "DAL" entry level lens, and this 18-55 "WR" lens has a noticeably nicer build quality, including manual focus override and a manual focus scale. The plastic barrels that make up the outside of the lens, and rotate, are all precise. And the rubber grip is attached precisely. The build quality is inspiring for a plastic lens. And as a weather sealed lens it's very quiet to focus.

3. The D-BG3 battery grip is nice too, it seems to have weather sealing, and it doubles the number of batteries for the camera, four AA becomes eight AA. It has a shutter release button that can be turned on and off. It also has a "AE-L" button. The battery grip is not especially big but, in my estimation, adds just enough surface area to the K200D to balance a large lens.

So that's my review of the kit I like it just fine.

I also tested the K200D with manual focus lenses and manual flashes, it all works well, quick and responsive.

Last edited by spystyle; 07-29-2011 at 01:52 PM.