Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-20-2011, 12:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Hey! I ordered a K-X :)

Well I sold my Nikon set, a D40 with accessories and 3 lenses, and I ordered a Pentax K-X

I look forward to having extra stops on account of the cool high ISO availability

The main reason I decided to sell all my stuff and switch over to Pentax 100% was their dedication to legacy glass. I really enjoy using the old lenses in addition to the new stuff, and everything in between.

My D40 had the metering of manual lenses intentionally disabled (even though they actually fit) - it was really irritating because sometimes I just like to use a 135/2.8 or a zoom with constant 3.5 aperture. It also lacked the in-body motor to use AF lenses, what a drag for a shooter on a budget that needs something outside of the 3 affordable kit lenses.

Besides Pentax's dedication to preserving and using the legacy glass, I think they give the most to their users. It seems that each entry level Pentax body is crammed full of nearly every feature Pentax cameras have to offer - and not just fluff, useful things like super high ISO and in-body HDR. Their entry level cameras don't feel as if they were intentionally crippled like Nikon's does.

I also like that they make solid equipment, for example I think Canon's "low end" is much too low, I've seen Canon entry level gear that was easily broken. Pentax's gear (that I've handled so far) seems nice and tight, good and solid.

I also feel that Pentax is innovative, they seem to be trying all kinds of different things rather than just sticking to a formula. My K-X is as white as snow, that's a unique offering And the array of new prime lenses available is really cool.

OK, I'm a 100% Pentax user now

Cheers,
Craig

01-20-2011, 01:22 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats, Craig.. I hope this turns out better than your other purchase. You're correct for the most part about the Pentax 'entry' level cameras. They do water down the features somewhat and there Is some fluff (IMO) but they do not take away the important stuff. That is, what is needed to hang a Pentax lens and take pictures with it.

Show us what you can do with some legacy glass when you get the camera.

By the way, I wouldn't expect too much out of the in camera HDR. If it works like it did on the K7, there is no RAW saved, in fact you cannot even use it if you have RAW enabled. It doesn't line up the images very well so you need to have a rock solid mount for the camera. Also IIRC, you cannot use a time delay shutter release and SR is turned off. You're much better off using a bracketed shot and combining the images in post processing.

Last edited by JeffJS; 01-20-2011 at 01:38 AM.
01-20-2011, 01:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congrats on new kit :-)
01-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I just got one last Friday, I am just starting to get comfortable with the features. I can't wait to get really started. It has been so cold that I have not been shooting outside as much as I wanted to. The people on here are great if you need help.

01-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by spystyle Quote
Well I sold my Nikon set, a D40 with accessories and 3 lenses, and I ordered a Pentax K-X

I look forward to having extra stops on account of the cool high ISO availability

The main reason I decided to sell all my stuff and switch over to Pentax 100% was their dedication to legacy glass. I really enjoy using the old lenses in addition to the new stuff, and everything in between.

My D40 had the metering of manual lenses intentionally disabled (even though they actually fit) - it was really irritating because sometimes I just like to use a 135/2.8 or a zoom with constant 3.5 aperture. It also lacked the in-body motor to use AF lenses, what a drag for a shooter on a budget that needs something outside of the 3 affordable kit lenses.

Besides Pentax's dedication to preserving and using the legacy glass, I think they give the most to their users. It seems that each entry level Pentax body is crammed full of nearly every feature Pentax cameras have to offer - and not just fluff, useful things like super high ISO and in-body HDR. Their entry level cameras don't feel as if they were intentionally crippled like Nikon's does.

I also like that they make solid equipment, for example I think Canon's "low end" is much too low, I've seen Canon entry level gear that was easily broken. Pentax's gear (that I've handled so far) seems nice and tight, good and solid.

I also feel that Pentax is innovative, they seem to be trying all kinds of different things rather than just sticking to a formula. My K-X is as white as snow, that's a unique offering And the array of new prime lenses available is really cool.

Cheers,
Craig
Couldn't have said it better myself. Welcome and Enjoy!
01-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Mine is navy blue. It took a couple of days to notice it was sprayed with a nice metal flake paint. I thought that was cool, and a nice surprise. Looks nice in the sun. I got the 18-55 and 55-300mm lens kit.

I kind of wanted the Navy green camera that is available on Pentax website but I would have paid a lot more with the extended lens and all. I got mine at B&H and they only had 4 color choices. But the blue rocks!
01-20-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome wagon fellas It's a nice community.

I've noticed Pentax users have a sense of community and take great pics

Also the more I think about it, the more I feel it's a conspiracy when camera makers try to get you to ditch your lenses every few years. Lenses should last forever

Canon switched from FD to EF mount and left a lot of shooters with expensive glass that wasn't forward compatible - they never released an adapter for those shooters with a big investment in their glass.

Nikon stayed with it's F-mount forever but cripples their entry level cameras from using yesterday's lenses for no sensible reason other than greed.

Pentax is the only company I know of that has and encourages backwards compatibility.

Also when it comes to Nikon's crippling of the entry level cameras - a camera's limitation becomes a photographer's inconvenience. And I don't want to support a system of forced inconvenience.

I've been thinking about it for a while, now I've finally done something about it LOL

OK I'm stepping off my soapbox now

have fun!
Craig

p.s. I got an OK deal I think, a K-X with 7k shutter actuations only, white, with kit lens, for $425 delivered.

01-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Also, compared to what I'm used to :

D40, up to 1600 ISO with acceptable image quality

Sample :

2010 September 4 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

... Apparently I get 2 extras stops. I've heard the K-X is good at ISO 6400.

If that's true it makes a 5.6 lens into a 2.8 lens (relatively speaking)

2 extra stops I look forward to trying that out.

Here is an F-stop chart for the K-X :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41681212@N02/5373674086/

Last edited by spystyle; 01-20-2011 at 01:29 PM.
01-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by spystyle Quote

Cheers,
Craig
Ken Rockwell, you've been served!
01-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

Congrats, Craig. When is she arriving?

As you can see from my sig, I have a thing for the old glass too. (Not like Rio though--that guy's NUTS!) My M42 Taks are built like TANKS.

Did you order your PK-42 adapter yet?
01-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Congrats, Craig. When is she arriving?

As you can see from my sig, I have a thing for the old glass too. (Not like Rio though--that guy's NUTS!) My M42 Taks are built like TANKS.

Did you order your PK-42 adapter yet?
Actually Ira, I don't see your sig at all at the moment.
01-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Actually Ira, I don't see your sig at all at the moment.
Maybe my wife sold all my stuff while I was out and deleted my sig.

Or maybe because I'm posting this now from the bar with my iTouch and basic mobile app for this site?

I'll see when I get home.
01-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #13
Forum Member

What about HD video?
01-22-2011, 12:40 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations
01-22-2011, 07:28 AM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account