Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
Inactive Account

disposable cameras

I will be attending coachella this year and unfortunately we are not allowed to bring SLR to the festival ( sorry spotmatic and KX ) so i decided that i would shoot the whole weekend with disposable cameras. (fun right?) i wanted to know: 1. Does anyone have experience shooting a music festival with a disposable camera? 2. Are there any wholesalers who happen to have expired disposable cameras the would like to sale? 3.what would be the best brand of disposable cameras ( the highest film quality) ?

thank you in advance.

01-20-2011, 01:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you have a decent quality point and shoot digital camera? The reason I ask is that because even a cheap P&S is leaps and bounds better than a disposable film camera. I hesitate to even call them cameras, rather last choice option camera-toys. Unless you are close to the stage, forget about any detail with a disposable..unless all you plan on doing is catching snaps of you and your friends playing in the mud and other ensuing hilarity. Even then, a camera phone is still better than disposables. Just my opinion, of course.

Jason
01-20-2011, 01:40 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
yea i have a sony P&S but im not trying to get pictures of the bands more just "candid/street style photos" ... & i like really like shooting with film thats why i was contemplating the disposable cameras
01-20-2011, 06:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'd still reconsider the disposables. Yes, they use film, but that's not saying much about them giving you much of anything promising. I'd take the P&S digital and use it the same way as you would any camera and see what you get. I take my LX3 almost everywhere with me and have used it in many different ways as far as in traveling, concerts, street shots, and just all around miscellany. The great thing is if you have some real keepers, you can process them with a film look and bring out magic.

Have fun at Coachella!

Jason

01-20-2011, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Disposable cameras make a Holga look good. Get a Canonette G3 or a Yashica Electro. My parents used a Canonette, and my brother-in-law had a Yashica Electro and both took good pics. There are many others that will do a much better job than disposables. Look on ebay.
01-20-2011, 06:55 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For image quality JAson makes some good points for PS. If you want to shoot film though rather than a disposable why not watch out for one of the many varied Fixed lens rangefinder type cameras. some of them have excellent lenses, most of them are very cheaply had, and the make great street tools year round (better in a lot of ways than your SLR cameras as they are unimposing and quite) Minolta, Konica, Rollei Argus ..... there are many. pop over to rangefinder forums a lot of people there use them all the time. I have a Konica that is excellent I paid $15 for but it is limited in some ways (junk shop find couldn't pass it up)
Lenses will also be in the f2-2.8 range most of the time
Gold Standard would be a Hexar for my money (but they will cost)
Most of the Lomo cameras will also give you better results than any disposable camera (and some of them are pretty small many use Medium format)
01-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm thinking of a really small olympus 35mm camera but can't come up with the name. 'trip', perhaps? Film p&s is a great idea, they are practically free on ebay or in craigslist.
01-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Olympus XA is a stellar little camera. there are a couple of versions the best being the original which is a full coupled rangefinder and includes auto exposure and a 6 element f 2.8 lens in the smallest package i can think of (aside from perhaps a rollei)
I'm actually searching for one myself as I let mine go ages ago and regret it to this day. You can just stick it in your pocket and go. sometimes you'll get the matching flash, it's useless for the most part
the trip 35 is pretty good but zone focus certainly cheap but a lot bigger and more plasticky

EDIT:

Cameraquest has a great page on the XA series that will be very useful

http://www.cameraquest.com/xa4.htm

01-20-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for the feedback ... even though its not what i asked for ... if a moderator could delete this thanks!
01-21-2011, 06:57 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LosHollyBeach Quote
I will be attending coachella this year and unfortunately we are not allowed to bring SLR to the festival ( sorry spotmatic and KX ) so i decided that i would shoot the whole weekend with disposable cameras. (fun right?) i wanted to know: 1. Does anyone have experience shooting a music festival with a disposable camera? 2. Are there any wholesalers who happen to have expired disposable cameras the would like to sale? 3.what would be the best brand of disposable cameras ( the highest film quality) ?

thank you in advance.
to answer your original questions then
1. no experience with a disposable at a music fest (I usually have a media pass so use the slr)
2. Expired diposables best bet is go to various stores that stock them and check dates then negotiate for a discount. You could check Freestyle though under clearance
3. They are all about the same more due to the lens and camera itself not being any good. get some with flash/

If you go this route don't expect anything that approaches even the most basic point shoot film camera (I picked up a canon z115 that retailed for $400 when new for $5 at value village and this would outperform disposables at a lower overall cost as the film is also way cheaper on the roll)