Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
Inactive Account

k200d mode dial help!?

okay so this morning i go to get my camera out and for some reason when i try to change the dial to a different setting noting happens on the LCD screen is just says Aperture priority... etc etc.. i can go into the Menu and all the other stuff just the Dial isn't working?
also the little screen up the top isn't its usual self. is has the shutter speed (which is normal) then it has the aperture which is stuffing up.. it says F- - , the ISO is fine and the battery life is normal just something must of happened? i baby it so its not like it gets thrown around. i used it last night working perfectly fine and this morning this

any ideas? iv been searching on google but i cant find anything similar

just to ass also when i change the dial the only two settings that come up are manual exposure and Bulb exposure ? but again in the top screen the F - - still looks like that

01-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
F-- suggests the camera cannot communicate with the lens. Either the contacts are dirty, the lens is faulty, or its a manual lens. Take it off, rub the contacts on the lens and the body and see what happens.

The dial issue sounds similar to that which I had with my K10d - will look for a link for you.
01-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Here's the thread about my k10d mode dial, with pictures of the innards.

Does this sound similar to your issue?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/115731-faulty-k10d-mode-dial.html
01-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for the quick response, i just tried my other lens and thats working fine (thank god!) so its just the lens that is playing up ill give it a clean, but nothing looks wrong or damage from the last time i used it?

01-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

No problem - is everything working as it should with the other lens?

If it is, and the kit hasn't been dropped or anything, I'd suggest it's just a connection problem. Try some electrical cleaner or something?
01-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
yea everything is fine with the other lens no problem at all i think i might of turned something with my other lens im looking through the manual now

i think i turned something last night when taking off the lens. near the mount of the lens there is a series of numbers that i think i turned and its not turning very smoothly (not sure if it should never turned it before) kinda sounds a bit starchy if i try to turn
01-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
the distance scale (the series of numbers near the mount of the lens) is the problem i think it might have a bad connection
01-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The series of numbers near the mount is the aperture scale if it is numbers like 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22.

Is there an A setting? That's the setting at which your camera can control the aperture. Put it in A and it should work, I think. It's a long time since I changes aperture manually, and I have no camera body to check with at the moment.

01-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for your help!, helped out a lot actually. i believe i have it on the 'a' setting but it is working now
i was freaking out before love my camera, saved for so long and hard trying to get it and the thought of it breaking down nearly gave my a heart attack lol and im only 19