Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Telling what firmware you have

I just recently got a new K-7 and was wondering how I tell what firmware version it has. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

01-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hold down the menu button as you switch your camera on.
You'll see it displayed on the rear LCD.
01-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much! I'm new to updating firmware so I have a couple questions. When I did what you said the camera said I have version 1.00. If I want to update this, do I download just the latest version or do I have to download the earlier versions as well. Thanks!

Last edited by jswillems; 01-20-2011 at 07:12 PM.
01-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aw, you beat me to it Ash...

01-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jswillems Quote
Thank you very much! I'm new to updating firmware so I have a couple questions. When I did what you said the camera said I have version 1.00. If I want to update this, do I download just the latest version or do I have to download the earlier versions as well. Thanks!

No, you do not need to download and install intermediate versions. The firmware updates are cumulative. That is, each release contains all the changes in prior releases. Just install the latest version.

Read the instructions that accompany the update, carefully. It really is not difficult, but there are a couple of "gotchas" that can trip you up, if you've never done a firmware update before.

First of all, make sure that your battery is fully charged. If the battery should go dead in the middle of the update, you have a very expensive paperweight. It is my understanding that Pentax does not consider this a warranty repair. IOW, you have to pay them to re-install the firmware and revive your camera.

Secondly, unzip the downloaded file. The file that actually contains the update is the one with the .bin extension. A few beginners have tried to simply put the downloaded file onto the memory card.

Put the .bin file in the ROOT directory of the memory card, not in the DCIM or any other folder. The instructions say to use a freshly formatted card, but that isn't really necessary, as long as there is room on the card. With the very large cards (up to 32GB, for SDHC) we have today, it isn't likely that the .bin file won't fit.

Do not disturb the camera until it says that the update is complete. Above all, do not turn it off. That's the same as the battery going dead.

The update should only take a minute or two.

When I updated the firmware on my K10D, I used the memory card reader/writer on my PC to write the .bin file to the card, but you can use the USB cable if you prefer, or if you don't have a card reader on your PC/MAC.

BTW, as far as I know, the only time Pentax has applied firmware updates to cameras during their production run, was the K10D Grand Prix special edition. All the others I have seen, even after the camera has been in production for almost a year and has had two or three updates, are still shipped with version 1.00 installed.
01-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your very helpful reply. I have not tried this before so I will definately be careful.

Well, I just updated the firmware and everything seems to be working perfectly, so thanks to everyone for the help!

Last edited by jswillems; 01-20-2011 at 10:20 PM.
01-21-2011, 12:26 AM   #7

"
Secondly, unzip the downloaded file. The file that actually contains the update is the one with the .bin extension. A few beginners have tried to simply put the downloaded file onto the memory card.

Put the .bin file in the ROOT directory of the memory card, not in the DCIM or any other folder. The instructions say to use a freshly formatted card, but that isn't really necessary, as long as there is room on the card. With the very large cards (up to 32GB, for SDHC) we have today, it isn't likely that the .bin file won't fit."

This part confuses me and I don't want to mess something up......how do I "unzip" the downloaded file? Do I need to download winzip?

How do I find the "ROOT directory" on my memory card? When I put the card into my computer it usually just pops up in iphoto/aperture.

What is the difference between a formatted and unformatted card?

Sorry for the silly questions!
01-21-2011, 02:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You download a .exe file, which is a self-extracting zip. Run it, and the .bin file will appear plus a readme.txt.

Format the card in the camera - that way it's bound to be formatted the way the camera can read it.

The root directory is the one at the top. Connect the camera with USB, close the stuff that opens automatically, and it appears as a removeable HDD. Copy the .bin onto the card into the top level.

Then follow the instructions in the readme.txt.

I reformatted the card again after I updated my camera.

Make sure you download the correct file for a Mac or Windows PC.