Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #1

K20D Focus motor

About 5 months ago I started noticing on my K20D that pictures were just slightly out of focus. Initially I thought it was me as they say that 99% of focus problems are on the user, but then it kept happening picture after picture. So I ended up looking into and then much to my surprise I learned there was this calibration feature. However, after doing more research and using those calibration charts the focus was still off.

To make a long story short I sent my K20D, 16-50mm DA and 85mm FA lens to Pentax and asked them to calibrate the lenses to the body. After about 2 weeks looking at the camera they said the lenses were fine, but the body needs to be adjusted. Anybody have any idea what they're going to adjust. One supervisor told me the autofocus motor is bad while another person just told me they are making adjustments.

Anyways, I did actually end up authorizing the repair. It was a tough pill to swallow at first because it's $230 to fix it and I thought about buying a replacement, but then I'm not willing to fork up $1400 for a K5 at this time. And then I figured I could buy a good condition on Ebay for $500, but it's not warrantied and then maybe the focus on that one could die, or I could have the focus fixed on my camera and then know it's been fixed with a new part and be at ease (or at least I hope.) My hope is that if I get another 2 good years out of the camera it will be worth it to me and by then the K5 will be an outdated model and it will be cheaper.

01-21-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by minitw Quote
About 5 months ago I started noticing on my K20D that pictures were just slightly out of focus. Initially I thought it was me as they say that 99% of focus problems are on the user, but then it kept happening picture after picture. So I ended up looking into and then much to my surprise I learned there was this calibration feature. However, after doing more research and using those calibration charts the focus was still off.

To make a long story short I sent my K20D, 16-50mm DA and 85mm FA lens to Pentax and asked them to calibrate the lenses to the body. After about 2 weeks looking at the camera they said the lenses were fine, but the body needs to be adjusted. Anybody have any idea what they're going to adjust. One supervisor told me the autofocus motor is bad while another person just told me they are making adjustments.

Anyways, I did actually end up authorizing the repair. It was a tough pill to swallow at first because it's $230 to fix it and I thought about buying a replacement, but then I'm not willing to fork up $1400 for a K5 at this time. And then I figured I could buy a good condition on Ebay for $500, but it's not warrantied and then maybe the focus on that one could die, or I could have the focus fixed on my camera and then know it's been fixed with a new part and be at ease (or at least I hope.) My hope is that if I get another 2 good years out of the camera it will be worth it to me and by then the K5 will be an outdated model and it will be cheaper.
The thing about buying a replacement is that like yours, it's going to be used. There's no real way of knowing that a month from now you won't be having the same problem, or even right out of the box (as you note). They may be doing a physical alignment of the mechanism that is beyond the range of the AF adjust menu.

01-21-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
plus 1 on jeff's comment
Also buying a used piece you may well end up with one that has seen more actuations than your own. really as long as you aren't sitting at 60000+ actuations the $230 is probably a good investment as it will now be calibrated correctly with all your lenses as well
01-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by minitw Quote
After about 2 weeks looking at the camera they said ...

QuoteQuote:
Anybody have any idea what they're going to adjust. One supervisor told me the autofocus motor is bad while another person just told me they are making adjustments.
Could be, could be.
Normally they adjust the AF module which is sitting beneath the mirror.