Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #1

Filters and manual exposure

I think if I screw on a CPL or other filter that cuts light, then I have to get my exposure to be like +1 or +2 to get a normal balanced photo. Is this correct? The one filter I have states +1 or +2 fstops.

So the next part of my question is: I was thinking of using a lens without AE, and using the green button trick. So how would I do it now, if I have to get +1 or +2 instead of 0? I mean are there other ways and shortcuts, or would I do green button then move the dial two clicks over? (Which sounds easy but I was thinking of keep the dial set for controlling shutter speed.)

01-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I might be wrong but some logical thinking gets me to believe that you're wrong.

The camera measures light that comes in through the lens. If you put something in front of the lens that darkens the image, the camera will measure less light. Based on the measured light and iso, the camera will set a shutter speed when the green button is pressed.

It's a different story if yoy use a seperate light meter, as that meter is not aware of the filter on the camera's lens and you want to copy the advised settings to the camera.

You can do the tests quite easily.
1) Camera/lens and use green button; write down apperture/shutterspeed/iso
2) Add filter to above and use green button; write down apperture/shutterspeed/iso and compare
01-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
Oh, that makes sense that the green button would still do it... that would be great.
01-21-2011, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

One of the joys of using a SLR is TTL (through the lens) sensing. Whatever light comes through the lens system (lens+filters+extensions+strap-ons) is what the camera sees and meters. It's different if shooting with a camera lacking TTL metering -- then, you must account for exposure factors and other tedious trivia. But with TTL, using either automation or the Green button, the metering happens automagically.

01-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I might be wrong but some logical thinking gets me to believe that you're wrong.
Can I borrow this sentence in the future?
01-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

As long as you add a copyright notice

PS
My logical thinking is not always logical

PPS
You may borrow that one without copyright notice
01-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The answers are correct, but it's digital. You could just try it.

01-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
The answers are correct, but it's digital. You could just try it.
You mean it should be,

QuoteQuote:
I might be wrong but some digital thinking gets me to believe that you're wrong.
???