Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
FLASH TRIGGER and K-x

Sorry for trivial question.
I have a K-x.
If I want use a trigger to command a Metz 50 AF-1,

Question1:
I need to by only the receiver or both transmitter and receiver?
I saw K-x allow to select a Channel. Is this a radio channel?

Question 2:
Is there a standard for radio communication between transmitter an receiver? In other word, transmitter and receiver of different brand, work togheter?

Thanks

01-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1. a: You need both a transmitter and a receiver.
b: That is for flashes that use Pentax' P-TTL (it uses light pulses, not radio frequency)

2. No. Pretty much every brand and sometimes model is going to have different communications. They don't work together between brands.
01-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
1. a: You need both a transmitter and a receiver.
b: That is for flashes that use Pentax' P-TTL (it uses light pulses, not radio frequency)

2. No. Pretty much every brand and sometimes model is going to have different communications. They don't work together between brands.
Thanks for answers.
So it is convenient to buy at least a couple of receivers.
Receivers should be compatible with all flash brand. Right?
And trasmitters? Do I need to buy a specific transmitter for Pentax?
01-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

We need to know if you want wireless TTL or wireless manual. I'm assuming manual based on your comments. (Plus, that's the only kind I know anything about.)

Receivers may not be compatible with all flashes. Some (Canon) have reversed trigger polarity, and older flashes may have sync voltages that are too high. The manufacturer should be able to tell you if their product is compatible.

Depending on your needs, you may only require one Tx/Rx pair. For additional flashes, you could use optical slaves. Plus, some devices are transceivers, meaning that they can be used as either a transmitter or a receiver.

Popular brands include PocketWizard, CyberSync, RadioPopper, MicroSync, and my favorite, Cactus. There's a glowing review of the new Cactus V5 transcievers over in the gear forum.

01-21-2011, 03:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
I would have Wireless manual.

In case I use internal flash as controller and Metz 50 as optical slave,
there are limitations in terms of minimum or maximum shutter time?

Example: can I use t = 1/180s? or I need a trigger to have this time?

(Sorry, I ordered the flash and not received yet...)
01-22-2011, 06:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You can't use the internal flash as the controller for an optical slave. I think you can for TTL wireless, but that's not manual, and I don't know anything about it, someone else would have to chime in.

If you're interested in off-camera manual flash usage, I HIGHLY recommend investing in a radio trigger right away. A Tx/Rx set of Cactus V4's is only USD$40/€31.54 from Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Flash Trigger :: Wireless Trigger :: Cactus Wireless Flash Trigger Set V4
01-22-2011, 07:12 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
You can't use the internal flash as the controller for an optical slave. I think you can for TTL wireless, but that's not manual, and I don't know anything about it, someone else would have to chime in.

If you're interested in off-camera manual flash usage, I HIGHLY recommend investing in a radio trigger right away. A Tx/Rx set of Cactus V4's is only USD$40/31.54 from Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Flash Trigger :: Wireless Trigger :: Cactus Wireless Flash Trigger Set V4
OK
I will invest in triggers...
Many thanks for your advise!!!!
01-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gflauti Quote
OK
I will invest in triggers...
Many thanks for your advise!!!!
Great!

I did some really jury-rigged stuff before I got that set of remotes. No idea why I held off.

Example 1: Single off-camera flash, camera set to 1sec exposure in a very dark room, hit the test button on the flash during the exposure.

Example 2: shoe-mounted flash set to low power and pointed up or backwards solely to trigger optical slaves.

Also, the V5 units come out on Monday, and there are some really awesome new features for $20 more. Check them out!