Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bob13bob Quote
the auto mode sucks on this camera. It likes to choose 1/8 shutter speed = way too slow.
I have to see this to believe it. No program mode I ever saw picked 1/8 and f/7.

01-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any particular reason why you have +0.7EV bias set on most of your Flickr shots ?
01-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Any particular reason why you have +0.7EV bias set on most of your Flickr shots ?
+1
Used camera?
01-25-2011, 03:00 AM   #34
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No brand new camera, could be that I accidently set it when playing with it?

01-25-2011, 04:47 AM   #35

The EXIF data is showing the K-x firmware( software) to be a version 1.0. You should upgrade the firmware to resolve some issues with false battery level reporting.
01-25-2011, 05:19 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twintastic2 Quote
No brand new camera, could be that I accidently set it when playing with it?
You go Mama!
Put some miles on that thing!
Yeah...you dialed in some exposure compensation at some point. Do you know how to do the green button reset? Hold down the green button and the exp comp at the same time until it goes back to zero. Same with Flash comp.
01-25-2011, 05:29 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Another thing would be choosing what settings the camera keeps when switched off and then back off, exposure compensation is one them. This is somewhere in the first few menu tabs under 'Memory'; with this unchecked the camera will always 'forget' what the setting was and return to 0 EV (default) when turned back on. Another setting that is probably at is best at the default might be white balance so that there is less change of leaving it on some specific setting instead of the default (auto) by mistake.

01-25-2011, 05:39 AM   #38
Pentaxian

WOW Thanks guys, great advice and tons of encouragement here! I have 2 books that I am trying to get through but as a busy teacher and mum to 4 children under 8 I don't get much me time. Anyone recommend some online tutorials??

Welcome to the forum. Here are a couple of camera simulators that will help you begin to understand the relationship between ISO, shutter speed, and aperture and doesn't take as much time as transferring pictures to your computer.

Aperture, shutter and ISO value | SLR Camera Simulator

The SimCam: Film and Digital Camera Simulator - Photonhead.com

Here are a couple of links with enough information to keep you busy for a month or more.

Ron Bigelow Photography Articles

The Luminous Landscape Contents - Don't forget to click on the Tutorials hotlink for more good stuff.

And the Articles section of Pentax Forums has a lot of great information also. Here is the link for the General Photography articles. Photography Articles - PentaxForums.com

Tim
01-25-2011, 06:12 AM   #39
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DanWeso Quote
The EXIF data is showing the K-x firmware( software) to be a version 1.0. You should upgrade the firmware to resolve some issues with false battery level reporting.
I know I was amazed that I have the old firmware as I have no battery issues at all...initial batteries that came with the camera when I got it Christmas Day still going strong!

Thanks for links guys, much appreciated...
01-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I know I was amazed that I have the old firmware as I have no battery issues at all...initial batteries that came with the camera when I got it Christmas Day still going strong! ...
Those lithium batteries are incredibly durable and I'd think they work ok even with the older firmware. In case you want rechargeables, Sanyo Eneloops with the new firmware would be good to avoid problems; the Eneloops are not really even expensive compared to the generic NIMHs so getting anything else is not worth the potential hassle IMO .
01-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Sanyo Eneloops
Agreed, much better than other kinds of rechargables.

I think the OP may be getting information overload here.
01-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I have a really hard time with this myself. Those tips above about body stance and keeping the camera close to your body are very important and they really do help The other thing that really helps me is to exhale and hold my breath when I am actually taking the shot. Also I tend to make my own tripods out of just about anything even when I don't have one. I often lean against a steadier object than me quite a bit.
01-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gashog Quote
But aperture priority mode is nice for getting to know your camera. You decide what aperture you should be shooting at for the lighting and you control depth of field for the shot. Everything else seems to fall in right behind.
Completely agree... Aperture priority was great for getting to know my camera... when you feel a little more confident you can whack it in manual and use the green button to set the shutter... Sorted.
01-26-2011, 12:59 AM   #44

upgrade teh firmware. 1.02 seems to be much better at choosing appropriate shutter speed with flash.
01-26-2011, 03:41 AM   #45
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bob13bob Quote
upgrade teh firmware. 1.02 seems to be much better at choosing appropriate shutter speed with flash.

Ahh will do then, thanks for the tip