Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here we go, first time using manual Lens

OK, it's time to play
Im about to try my manual lens for the first time, I have yet to even attach it to the camera.
I've found a guide to using manual lens, and I understand I have to tell the camera the focal length.
If I use extension tubes, does that mean I have to change the focal length in the menu - is it the lens focal length or the actual focal length I use?
Im sure there will be a few more questions, but I will see how I go, though the light is fading fast and I worry I might have left it a bit late for today

01-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Extension tubes have no glass elements in them so they do not alter the focal length. You therefore use the lens focal length.

You might also want to read here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/32-can-i-use-...td-series.html
01-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want to first play with those tubes with SR off. When SR is off, it doesn't ask you the focal length when you power up, since that's the only reason it needs to know it.

Also, do you have the camera set to allow use of aperture ring?

Finally, I assume you're going to use it with your macro? Also remember that on a tripod, SR should be off anyway.
01-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
OK, thanks for the advice, that is all good stuff to know..
I found it interesting taking pictures without seeing the apperture setting!
It would seem that focussing is my problem as they looked fine in the viewfinder, but not on the PC. Would shake reduction cause this?

So far..

They looked in focus when I took the shot..
I was pressing the shutter halfway, releasing it, pressing the green button and then taking the shot..

I didn't have focus assist turned on as I couldn't find the "FI with S lens used" option in the menu - I have a K20D..

Im hoping I can get some better shots tomorrow with brighter natural light.

Even though they aren't great, I can practice, and it was fun, I felt quite creative

01-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The viewfinder is very small, so being able to judge if something is accurately focused is rather tricky. My ME Super has a split image focusing screen and it was easy because of that - plus the giant-size super-bright viewfinder. I started checking the depth of field scales on the lens at one point which helped a bit, and I found using LiveView helped as well - the LCD on the back (K7) is bigger and easier to see than the viewfinder, and if I knew how to do it I could zoom in with it as well.
01-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #6

Hello.
I have a K20 as well, and the live view on that has never been any help to me.
When I shoot with Macro / Extension tubes I always use a tripod and SR off. I use a 2 second timer - that will make the mirror lift before the picture is taken (mirror lift can make blur at low speed).
You also have to make sure that the dioptric correction is correct, otherwise it will look as it is in focus, but actually is not.
After a while you get "a feel" for when the lens are correctly focused - so the practice part is important