Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Shake reduction question

I keep reading that when you use a tripod you must turn off the shake reduction function. I was just wondering why? I mean will it mess up the pics, or what?

Last edited by PentaxKX-2011; 01-22-2011 at 06:26 PM.
01-22-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't use a tripod very often, so my shake reduction is always on.
That being said, I don't think I have ever turned it off when I have used a tripod and I have never seen a shot ruined because it was on.

That's just my personal experience, nothing technical.
01-22-2011, 11:54 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

SR vibrates the sensor. Rather, at any specified focal length, it assumes that you'll shake-rattle'n'roll by a certain amount, so it shakes-rattles'n'rolls to counteract that. On tripod with SR on, it shakes even though the tripod doesn't. And how much does it shake? I've put a big Kenko (Hoya) fisheye adapter onto a 35-80 zoom on my K20D, with LiveView and SR both ON, the camera and lens rig sitting on a table -- or more precisely, rattling across the table. Yes, SR can shake and move the camera body!

Generally when tripodding, you'll use some Timer function -- a 2- or 3-second delay. The camera automatically shuts off SR when you use a delay or a remote. But whenever the camera is 'podded, or is sitting on or braced against something solid, you should turn SR off.
01-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

SR is not smart enough to know that the camera is steady on a tripod for long exposures. So it will *try* to stabilise the image even if already stable, and thus introduce (at times, not always) a noticeable level of blurriness to long exposure images.

I reckon that Pentax could have implemented a rule to automatically switch off SR if the shutter speed is extraordinarily long, like for >1sec (or at least given the option in a menu item).

01-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
...and why camera switch off the SR in case of remote FLASH controller?
01-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gflauti Quote
...and why camera switch off the SR in case of remote FLASH controller?
My guess is it`s assuming that you are doing studio work with tripods.
01-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That clears it up, Thanks for all the answers. I can't wait till the weather breaks so I can really get out there. I want to try night shots.

01-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to say I've learned something here too.