Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #16
Veteran Member

If you are considering a K-r even if the K-x is on your mind, i would say even if after you bought the K-x, you would still be ending up thinking about the K-r.
Buy the K-r.
At least after buying the K-r, you would have no reason for thinking about the K-x.

01-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
If you are considering a K-r even if the K-x is on your mind, i would say even if after you bought the K-x, you would still be ending up thinking about the K-r.
Buy the K-r.
At least after buying the K-r, you would have no reason for thinking about the K-x.
But then you will find yourself thinking about the "what if I got the K-7?" and then get a K-7, then you will find yourself thinking "what if I only got the K-5"

.............just get the K-5, it will save you a lot of grief from that kind of reasoning.

Truth be told......you will get what makes you happy and only you know what that model will be. You are going to get many different opinions in here, just do what you are comfortable with, I am sure you won't regret it.
01-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #18

KxBlaze - Easy to see that you're in the US, mate - cameras-etc at such very low prices!

Here in Sydney we'd love those prices - particularly for the ED 55-300mm, which is AUD$670.00 here - and no, we can't have the L 55-300 as a kit lens, either. There again, if we got the L as a kit lens, they'd sell very few DA/EDs at around twice the US price... (The AUD and USD are about the same at present.)

Here we can have the last 3 Pentax entry-models as "current" versions:

K-M with kit 18-55mm - $799.00
K-X with kit 18-55mm - $659.00
K-R with kit 18-55mm - $889.00

The K-R has only the Pentax 18-55mm + 50-200mm lenses (for $1,069.00) as single or pair kit lenses, while with the K-X they offer 10 single or pair kits...

So, while I'll get a K-R sometime this year, I will be waiting a few months until the price drops a little - and they offer the same kit lens range as the K-X now has.

I'm not sure whether they don't really want to sell K-Rs until overstocks of K-Ms and K-Xs are sold - or if Australia gets used as the "clearance area" for discontinued cameras - albeit still at "Australian" over-prices...

I'm even starting to think of just getting a second-hand K200D or similar, to use my half-dozen K-mount and M42 lenses on... A used K20D might be better, but prices here with 90-day shop warranty are absurd.

Prices here are daft - yet sellers of cameras and lenses here are whinging because so many now buy overseas "on the Internet" - with no Australian Warranty - as the savings are so great.

Dave.
01-24-2011, 05:43 AM   #19
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by exwintech Quote
Prices here are daft - yet sellers of cameras and lenses here are whinging because so many now buy overseas "on the Internet" - with no Australian Warranty - as the savings are so great.
Why is stuff so expensive in places outside the U.S.? Is it import/duty fees, or that your retailers mark up so much?

I never understood this.

01-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #20

Original Poster
Hmm Henry's in Canada has the Kr with DA L 18-55mm and 55-300mm for $829. Seems like a good deal to me so I'll probably pick this up.
01-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #21

I was undecided at first, but I end up with the K-r. As it's definitely an upgrade from K-x.
01-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Why is stuff so expensive in places outside the U.S.? Is it import/duty fees, or that your retailers mark up so much?

I never understood this.
Yup! Mostly however you call it, duties or whatever, it is still plain old tax!
Government would usually tax anything!
In the Philippines, most items government deem "luxury" is more of like price is doubled because half of the item is tax!
Vehicles there are twice the price so as with most electronic items.

01-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
But then you will find yourself thinking about the "what if I got the K-7?" and then get a K-7, then you will find yourself thinking "what if I only got the K-5"

.............just get the K-5, it will save you a lot of grief from that kind of reasoning.

Truth be told......you will get what makes you happy and only you know what that model will be. You are going to get many different opinions in here, just do what you are comfortable with, I am sure you won't regret it.
Lol!
It's a good thing he is only considering the K-x and K-r!
01-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
...........just get the K-5, it will save you a lot of grief from that kind of reasoning.
That's what I did!
01-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #25
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sixteen12 Quote
Hmm Henry's in Canada has the Kr with DA L 18-55mm and 55-300mm for $829. Seems like a good deal to me so I'll probably pick this up.
You won't be sorry.

And you do know that the 55-300 is fantastic lens, right?
01-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Buy the K-r.
Although this might be human nature, but I kind dislike this.
So after another new model come out in one and half year, would you consider sell kr, and buy the newer one again?
01-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
Although this might be human nature, but I kind dislike this.
So after another new model come out in one and half year, would you consider sell kr, and buy the newer one again?
I think with these two cameras in particular it's partly because there's so little to choose between them. Virtually the same body, a few extra features that only barely (and arguably) justify the extra cost, but the features are pretty useful...
01-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #28
JHD
Veteran Member

Focus points are so utterly annoying I have them turned off in my cameras. So what does the Kr have over the Kx?
01-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #29
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Focus points are so utterly annoying I have them turned off in my cameras. So what does the Kr have over the Kx?
Dramatically improved AF speed, an LCD that blows the K-x away, improved high ISO, and I am sure RADICALLY improved firmware.

For 200 bucks, seems worth it to me.
01-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #30
Veteran Member

AF is a bit better, the LCD - well, I guess that's useful for live view. I thought the K-x was marginally better at high ISO?