Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #1

Kx or Kr

Yes I realize this has been beaten to death, but I can`t find an answer to the questions I have. So:

I`m just getting into DSLR and have decided on Pentax. I absolutely love how the camera sits in my hands and the menu is by far the best on any other dslr I have used. I want to take pictures of architecture, landscapes, night shots, and snowboarding and action spots shots.

I can get the Kx with kit 18-55mm for $500 CDN or the Kr with the kit 18-55mm for $680. Would it be worth it for me to spend the extra on the Kr? Or get the Kx and the DA 35mm prime? for about the same?

I didn't like the lack of autofocus points on the Kx and I've heard the Kr has a greatly improved shake reductions which might help with macro shots?

Anyways, help would be greatly appreciated.

01-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Shake reduction has never been a problem for me with the K-x. Neither has the lack of visible AF points. If you are interested in macro photography, get the K-x and invest in a good macro lens. The DA 35 is a fine lens i'm sure, but a macro lens it is not.
01-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you're doing macro photography, you're going to want to be on a tripod, not handheld and relying on SR. The AF points not being visible would bug me, but you may get used to it.

Of the things you listed, the kit 18-55 is suitable for architecture and landscapes but not action sports or macro.

Suggest looking at your entire budget and considering how soon you might want a) tripod b)telephoto for sports c) macro lens. That will help sort out whether the extra 200 for the K-r makes sense. The K-r is really a minor tweak of the K-x.
01-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #4

I say K-r, the focus points and SIGNIFICANTLY higher resolution lcd make it worth it to me. If focus points and a lesser lcd are not a problem for you, then the K-x would do just fine.

01-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Hi
I also have just got into dslr photography and i personally love the k-x. It does have some down points in the area of auto focus within live view and shake reduction but it is a great camera to get started with. i would suggest you get the k-x and a macro lens.
01-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #6

Original Poster
Alright. I think the autofocus points are a big deal. Ill get a 18-200mm lenses in place of the kit or something then see what old Pentax lenses my dad and uncle have. They have a bunch of old Pentax lenses from when they shot film. So maybe even a wide angle and macro? Probably manual focus.
01-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The Kr has extra features that are not on the Kx but when it comes to IQ I think they are identical, so you have to ask yourself if those features outside of IQ are important to you or not. My personal opinion, they are not. I would rather get the Kx and a good lens for the same price as the Kr.

01-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wide angle won't really be wide, but a macro lens would be a good score. Manual focus is less of a hinderance with macro.
01-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #9

Original Poster
Alright so $500 a good deal for kx?
01-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The improved live view of the K-R would be a help with Macro. The K-R is a little faster than the K-X, That would help with action shots. You need a K-5, (or K-7, K20, K10, K200) for wet shooting, neither K-R or K-X is weather sealed. The K-R has one stop higher ISO for night shots (doesn't matter if using a tripod). The K-R comes with a Li ION battery and uses AA batteries with an optional adapter, if that matters to you.
Consider the two lens kit with the 55-300mm lens for sports. I got the that kit with the K-R on sale for $750 usd. Check sales on the internet often, it might come again.
01-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sixteen12 Quote
Alright so $500 a good deal for kx?
I got mine from Amazon a year ago for $488, I wonder why it went up, especially since the Kr came out? Either way $500 is ok but not great. Have you thought about the Kx with the 18-55 and 55-300? It's $631 right now on Amazon. That's a tiny bit less $ than the Kr with just the 18-55.
01-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
I got mine from Amazon a year ago for $488, I wonder why it went up, especially since the Kr came out? Either way $500 is ok but not great. Have you thought about the Kx with the 18-55 and 55-300? It's $631 right now on Amazon. That's a tiny bit less $ than the Kr with just the 18-55.
You have to take into account the VAT.
01-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a K-x owner, for 200 bucks more, I would definitely go for the K-r. because of much faster continuous shooting mode due to faster AF, and the better LCD (although I don't shoot much in LiveView).

You can always save up for the optimum macro lens.

If there was a $400 difference, I would say no. But for $200, the upgrades make it worth it in my opinion.
01-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Metalwizards Quote
I say K-r, the focus points and SIGNIFICANTLY higher resolution lcd make it worth it to me. If focus points and a lesser lcd are not a problem for you, then the K-x would do just fine.
I do just fine without the focus confirmation points-- never had them before, so I don't notice that I'm missing the feature-- but the point on the LCD is right on. In-camera review is a little difficult because of its low resolution.

Keep in mind, I've never handled a K-r. But am in love with the K-x otherwise.
01-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I have had my K-x for a month now (wife got it for me) I originally wanted the K-r but the wife didn't know better, I am actually glad she got me the K-x and got it with the lenses that came with the kit, I use those lenses mainly for parties and get togethers, they are really great for those types of situations where I really don't have to think of camera settings and focusing and such. I have all my old manual lenses from my ME Super SE that is now sitting on my shelf or should I say my photography shrine lol. I prefer to use my manual lenses when it comes to doing all the rest of my shooting, I really love the "old school" feel about them.
All in all the K-x is a great all around camera, I really don't miss the focusing indicators (really don't have a use for that anyways)
The LCD screen is just perfect for me as well because I really never use it for much other than to change the setting in the camera, once in a while I will preview my images with it but all in all I really don't use it much and when I do it is adequate enough for me. I love having the AA battery option that comes with the K-x, so far I just use the best lithiums that money can buy and they last me plenty long enough, most folks use rechargeable batteries, I might use them one day, but for now I really like the lithiums. I highly recommend the K-x, for the price difference it really isn't worth it to me, instead if you want to spend that kind of extra money then buy the K-x and get an extra lens with that money. If you want to spend extra money on a camera save up for a K-5 or something of that caliber, if you are going to spend money on bells and whistles then don't sell yourself short and just get the one with the most.