Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
If I've read this right you are comparing a manual and an autofocus lens.

It doesn't matter how good the lens is if the shot is out of focus. Personally I found using MF lenses on my K7 a trial, yet I never had any problems with them on my ME Super. However it has a huge, almost blindingly bright viewfinder, and a split-image focusing screen.
No. The A lenses are capable of having the aperature set with the camera dial and the lens focul length and aperature used is automaticaly present in the exif file of the photo. But it is still a manual focus lens. Where you have to set the aperature on the M lenses on the lens itself and then meter before shooting.

Sounds like a lot to do but after an afternoon shooting it should occur instantly and effortlessly.

Eric

01-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It all sounds like a lot of work to me LOL! Maybe I should stick to the lenses I have now and learn more about THEIR use first!!!!
01-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

the "A" makes it easier for a new shooter

"M" lenses make it more like a K1000, it's more advanced.

(my opinion)
01-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
I have the K100D, bought it last year as a refurb because we had a bunch of lenses sitting in a closet from a k1000.

Of those lenses, we have a the 50 1.7 and 50 1.4

I don't really use the 1.7 in the dslr, obviously, why would I when I have the 1.4?

Anyways - I love them. I would highly recommend getting one of them.

01-23-2011, 06:42 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
If I've read this right you are comparing a manual and an autofocus lens.
No, an A50/2 with a M50/1.4 (see post #5)
01-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Leana Quote
It all sounds like a lot of work to me LOL! Maybe I should stick to the lenses I have now and learn more about THEIR use first!!!!
There are also auto focus lens like the f50/1.7 and the fa50/1.4. They cost much much more.
01-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Like Capslock, I have both the M 50 1.4 & M 50 1.7, but unlike him, I find myself using the 1.7 more, perhaps because it's a little smaller and a little lighter, but they're both great and can be had for very little money.

Leana, I don't think you should be discouraged by thinking it's a lot of work to use an M lens. It's easy and fun. Once you've set your camera to manual mode, you just have to remember you'll be setting the aperture yourself--experiment--and the ISO level--if your outdoors during the day, go for 100 or 200 and forget about it--and remember to use the green button for the fearsome sounding 'stop down metering', which just means the camera will take a light reading through the lens at the aperture you've set and pick the best shutter speed. Action shots are, of course not going to be as easy as with AF, but even there with a little pre-focusing, you should be able to manage.
01-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #23
Veteran Member

pentax A is much nicer than the M counter part, I'm not gonna stop down all the time, it's annoying. People uses DSLR shoot 70% in aperture priority mode, this alone warrant the 50 dollars or w/e is extra for the A model VS the M, not only you don't have to stop down, you get to be in aperture priority, that's worth the money IMO.

01-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I'd go with the M50 1.4 hands down. I own one and I love it. but the A series will let you shoot in all modes where as the M series only manual mode.
01-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #25
Pentaxian

It's really not a bad idea to get used to the lenses you have now before venturing into a "fast 50." You might find you really miss having one... or might find you'd rarely use it. it just depends on what you're trying to do.

Even in the 35mm world, I always had 50/1.4 lenses (SMC Takumar, and Canon FD.) I used the Takumar a lot, because I had no other lens that covered its range. I rarely used the Canon, because I had the 28-55mm zoom. There are certainly types of photography and circumstances where fast lenses are important/necessary, but a lot of what I do is outdoor/landscape, where shallow depth of field isn't the usual objective. The performance differences between lenses (prime vs. zoom, etc.) become a lot less when you're shooting at f8 and below.

Remember that if you get a fast 50 for use at f2 or f1.4 or whatever, you're going to have to be very, very accurate with focusing, and I've found it a lot more difficult to focus with my k100/200 than with my old 35mm cameras. And you won't have autofocusing with a 50 in the Pentax world unless you want to spend a lot of money.

Paul
01-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #26

Any one else disappointed that there isn't an affordable "nifty fifty" for pentax like the canon 50mm f1.8? ~$100 for the canon seems like a great deal for a new autofocus prime.
01-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Actually there are ways to use an M (or K) lens in Av mode. I'm somewhat reluctant to recommend it at times but here it is.

Set the lens to the smallest aperture (f22, etc).
Turn the camera and hold it to some light source so you are looking through the lens at the light coming through the viewfinder.
Press the lens release button and turn the lens about 10 degrees until the aperture stops all the way down.
Put your camera in Av mode, use the aperture ring to set your aperture, and fire away.

Ignore the dirty screen and the sensor stain on the f22 photo (exifs should be in tact). Also ignore the f stop shown in the exifs. This is an f2.0 (K28 f2.0) lens.

01-23-2011, 11:03 PM   #28
Veteran Member

i wouldn't consider that an alternative haha, nifty trick though.
01-24-2011, 12:32 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
No, an A50/2 with a M50/1.4 (see post #5)
Of course, a lens with an 'A' on the aperture ring and one without. The lenses I was using had the 'A' but it was the manual focus I had problems with.
01-24-2011, 04:13 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drewv8 Quote
Any one else disappointed that there isn't an affordable "nifty fifty" for pentax like the canon 50mm f1.8? ~$100 for the canon seems like a great deal for a new autofocus prime.
Is the Canon lens any good?

Used Pentax lenses in the UK are shooting up in price at the moment and they appear to be doin the same in the US