Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 12:17 AM   #16
Veteran Member

One problem some people have had coming from a modern P&S is persisting in using the screen on the back instead of the viewfinder. Result - massive camera shake and blurry picture.

01-24-2011, 01:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Show us your pictures, we'll tell you what went wrong with them.
Then you can decide if you want to learn how to use an SLR or go back to a compact camera.
01-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #18
Veteran Member

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Second of all, this is not a technical troubleshooting question and should be listed elsewhere

Thirdly, what you are feeling coming from the spoon-fed point and shoot world to the much, much more versatile and potential-for-anything world of DSLR is very normal and has many many threads here in the past to support that theory.
Learning to use a DSLR to its optimum benefits doesn't happen right out of the box, it's an interest or hobby to be learned just like any other and takes time, patience and the want to understand, in order to obtain skill. You could put the camera in Auto mode and fire away and get something that pretty much reminds you of what your point and shoot can deliver, or you can desire to understand how some photographers achieve beautifully crafted shots that almost no P&S can come close to. This is not just skill in the hands of the photographer, but also the realization of better lenses, better sensor technology, and the manual shooting parameters usually associated and loved by users of DSLR cameras and lenses.

Take some time to learn your equipment as well as learning the basics of exposure and how it relates to shutter speed, aperture settings, etc and enjoy the new world that is laid out before you. Take lots of photographs as you learn and dont get caught up in the frustrating, anal-retentive world of measurebating and pointless brick wall shooting. Go out, put yourself in the position to shoot many different subject matter and be in tune with what the camera is doing as you learn and become happy that you gave this interchangeable lens and camera body thing a try.

Good luck and have fun with your very capable K-r and 18-55 lens.

Jason
01-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #19
Forum Member

Think of it like moving from a Prius to a vintage Ferarri. Yeah, the engine is better... but it'll take some coaxing to really make it perform. The P&S you're used to does a lot of stuff under the hood (and w/o your knowledge) to make things work. The DSLR gives you control over these things... but it doesn't necessarily automate them well.

Your DSLR should run rings around any point-n-shoot quality wise... you just have to know how to use it.

If you give us some shots to work with, we can point you in the right direction. This is a good read regardless. Digital Photography Tips and Tutorials

While we're at it - the Pentax kit lens is among the best on the market... but it's still a kit lens. They're optimized for cheap, not for amazing photos wide open. You have to help it out a little - stop the lens down to F8 if you can. It seems to do pretty well between f8 and f11. Don't be afraid to raise the ISO - the Kx can work comfortably up to iso3200, with a little post-production help. The Kr does even better. Above all, practice practice practice.

Last edited by sgtkashim; 01-24-2011 at 12:37 PM.
01-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe that one of the most important realizations one comes to when leaving 'point & shoot' photography for the world of the (D)SLR is that it is NOT the SLR that takes bad pictures. It's you.
01-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
... but doesn't understand that the pro take 10 kazillian pictures to get 1-2 good shots and put on a magazine.
Most real professional photographers take only a handful of shots to get one or two publish worthy ones.
01-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #22
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I have a couple nice point n shoots to choose from if you want to trade....
02-17-2011, 05:28 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
[langtitle=pt]Pentax K-r[/langtitle]

Obrigado pelas orientações e também pelas críticas. Estou tendo um domínio maior sobre o equipamento e em consequência disso, melhores fotos.

Abraços

02-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #24

Photos: Albums
Hehe, hugs.
02-23-2011, 02:23 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Braga,

Your complaint is often heard and seen.
A few days ago I wrote the following reply on a post similar to yours.

I hope it helps you understand what is happening.
Please follow this link:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/133727-new-digi...ml#post1392765

Cheers, Bert
02-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Quanto mais conheço a maquina, melhores sao os resultados obtidos.
Tenho feito fotos incriveis. Retiro o que disse negativamente sobre a camera, a K-r e sensacional.
02-23-2011, 05:13 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Learn your camera functions, then shoot, then post. Knowledge is necessary to master DSLR over a PS, but in P mode you should get acceptable pics, even scene mode, but DSLR has so many more features and capabilities, this you need to master.
03-09-2011, 01:10 AM - 1 Like   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
A friend of mine followed my recommendation and bought a K-x for her sister, who used the camera for about 2 weeks before declaring herself dissatisfied with it. I told her she should read the manual, read online tutorials, etc., to which she responded that she had tried all the settings... I met with her a few days ago, explained her the relation among ISO, aperture, shutter speed. I also told her about DOF, focusing points and focusing in general, bokeh, etc. Although much better than her initial results, her photos still suck, but at least she no longer thinks it's the camera's fault.
I would not be so sure about that unless you actually used the camera and got good results that you checked on a computer.
I purchased my Kx 5 days ago and could have written the opening post myself.

Most of the responders in this thread seem to blame user error for the poor results completely overlooking the fact that Auto mode should still give reasonable if not great results even for a noobie.

Since I am past the noobie stage (just) I knew that the soft, blurry results I was getting were not my fault. After a bit of testing I contacted Pentaxes Australian representatives and described the problem.

The technician told me to send the camera in for recalibration and so I have taken back to where I purchased it.
I expect that in 3 weeks I will have the camera I thought I was buying.

On enquiry I was told that this problem affected approximately 3% of all Kx cameras.

The reason for this post is that I have been concerned by the responses to posts similar to the OP in this forum as well as other sites including flickr. Many Kx buyers are new to DSLR photography and the 3% who get faulty cameras are in the main being misled when they seek help. Some will even give up on DSLRs because they can`t make it work.

From my experience the first advice to the OP should be ``Take the camera in for a checkup. It may be the camera, not you.``

My hope is that anyone looking for help with their soft ,blurry, out of focus and unsatisfactory Kx photos will find it here.
03-09-2011, 02:33 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hartless_1 Quote

From my experience the first advice to the OP should be ``Take the camera in for a checkup. It may be the camera, not you.``
Welcome to the forum Hartless !

Whilst your post, like almost everyone else's, is well intentioned, using your own stats that means 97/100 new Kx buyers will not have any problem with their camera and so sending it off for calibration / checking just to have it returned in 3 weeks with a note saying ... nothing wrong with your camera ... is surely not the way to go.

Possibly it's really just a suggestion that should be borne in mind in case, after trying everything else, there is no improvement. Once you start getting the basics right, which should only take a a few days at most, the improvement in the quality of the shots should be obvious ... if it's not then your advice may well be the way to go. Personally I wouldn't be telling any Noob that it could be the camera so send it in !

Good to hear you have had your issues dealt with and look forward to seeing the results of your perfectly calibrated camera !
03-09-2011, 03:41 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Welcome to the forum Hartless !
Thanks.

Whilst your post, like almost everyone else's, is well intentioned, using your own stats that means 97/100 new Kx buyers will not have any problem with their camera
And probably wont be posting like the OP.

sending it off for calibration / checking just to have it returned in 3 weeks with a note saying ... nothing wrong with your camera ... is surely not the way to go.
If you saw what I saw you would understand. Having images taken with a Pentax A 50mm f1.7 look worse than the cheapest P&S is not funny. Especially when you can compare with the result from a K100D.
Judging the experiences of the unfortunate few on your own happy experience is not helpful.
I should point out that my intention was that the camera should be checked by someone knowledgable at point of sale not just sent back for service automatically. In my case I considered myself that person.

Possibly it's really just a suggestion that should be borne in mind in case, after trying everything else, there is no improvement. Once you start getting the basics right, which should only take a a few days at most, the improvement in the quality of the shots should be obvious
So you don`t think that using a Kx in auto mode will produce a satsfactory result for a noob or anyone else presumably. This is an entry level camera designed to give a reasonable result in auto mode.

Personally I wouldn't be telling any Noob that it could be the camera so send it in
So, just let them suffer. Picture the situation for a beginner with a defective camera.
No knowledge. No confidence. No hope.
I hope it wasn`t you who in a thread on this forum blamed the kit lens and suggested that a Pentax FA 43mm F1.9 Limited would help get a better result.

Good to hear you have had your issues dealt with and look forward to seeing the results of your perfectly calibrated camera
Not as much as I am!

And I will report back in 4 weeks after the Pentax techs have worked their magic. I have read good reports about Pentax service else I would have asked for a refund.