Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 04:50 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
And probably wont be posting like the OP.
97/100

QuoteQuote:
If you saw what I saw you would understand. Having images taken with a Pentax A 50mm f1.7 look worse than the cheapest P&S is not funny. Especially when you can compare with the result from a K100D.
That's unfortunate but I'll misquote you : Judging the experiences of the fortunate majority on your own unhappy experience is not helpful. 97/100

QuoteQuote:
Judging the experiences of the unfortunate few on your own happy experience is not helpful.
Excuse me ? Point out where I judged anything / anyone - then we'll continue. You are rather inventive aren't you.

QuoteQuote:
So you don`t think that using a Kx in auto mode will produce a satsfactory result for a noob or anyone else presumably. This is an entry level camera designed to give a reasonable result in auto mode.
Are you asking me or telling me what I think ? Don't presume you have any idea what my thoughts are on any subject. Comment only on what I've posted and don't concoct alternative versions to suit your purpose.

Ask around, auto modes in DSLRs don't work anything like as well as auto mode in a P&S. They are in fact a compromise, put there to reassure the noob, though usually they give reasonable results there are many limitations. In fact the Green mode on both my K7 & K5 works very well, within reason, when I'm using the cameras for work and don't have time to adjust & implement my usual mode for each shot. It shouldn't be a total failure and should give a reasonable output - however neither you nor I know what other settings the OP may have adjusted which may have been influencing the output.

QuoteQuote:
So, just let them suffer.
You seem to have an agenda. Yet again you seem to want to force me to take responsibility for statements you have concocted.

QuoteQuote:
Picture the situation for a beginner with a defective camera. No knowledge. No confidence. No hope.
3/100. Should anyone find themselves to be one of the unfortunate 3/100 then one would hope they have the good sense to either a) come on a forum such as this for advice .... and follow it as the OP did, or b) if they don't frequent a forum or have someone of experience to test the camera for them, take or send it back to the retailer for them to check it out.

QuoteQuote:
I hope it wasn`t you who in a thread on this forum blamed the kit lens and suggested that a Pentax FA 43mm F1.9 Limited would help get a better result.
Why are you attributing someone else's statement to me ? IF I DIDN'T SAY DON'T CAST ASPERSIONS THAT INSINUATE I MAY HAVE.

The bottom line is that, from your own statistics, only 3 out of a 100 Kxs need calibrating, therefore your coruscating statement that : From my experience the first advice to the OP should be "Take the camera in for a checkup. It may be the camera, not you." is without doubt obscenely exaggerated. It quite obviously should NOT be the first advice given.

The advice given to the OP from the other forum members was correct ... learn how to operate the camera first then if there is no improvement consider that maybe you need to have your camera checked by Pentax. And in fact, as the OP has now stated, that advice was in fact correct.

03-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
3/100. Should anyone find themselves to be one of the unfortunate 3/100 then one would hope they have the good sense to either a) come on a forum such as this for advice .... and follow it as the OP did, or b) if they don't frequent a forum or have someone of experience to test the camera for them, take or send it back to the retailer for them to check it out.
In other words anyone with a camera with the softness problem would be better off getting it checked without coming to the forum because you won`t tell them until all else fails. Right on.

As any further discussion would be pointless I shall not comment again till next month when I have got my camera back, as previously stated.

For now it`s back to taking photos.
03-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
If you saw what I saw you would understand. Having images taken with a Pentax A 50mm f1.7 look worse than the cheapest P&S is not funny.
What does camera calibration have to do with this? That is, that you expect Pentax service to fix?

Last edited by JeffJS; 03-09-2011 at 06:51 PM.
03-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #34

Photos: Albums
I'll jump in with my experience...

I had a Kyocera M410r for over 3 years. In this time i took 20000+ pictures so you could say i was aquainted to its quirks and the way it worked.

I purchased a K20 2 years ago.. and struggled like mad.. i wasnt getting many keepers, and the learning curve seemed huge.

The main issue i was having was everything seemed soft, blurred etc. The main reason? As has already been metioined here DOF.

P&S have a teeny sensor, therefore the DOF is massive. F2.8 on the m410r woud give an insane depth and therefore was easy to shoot at with everything remaining in focus.

for example if i use my sigma 28-70 2.8 at 70mm and f2.8 shooting a person 3m away i have a DOF of 20cm to play with.. all it takes is the camera (if on auto) to choose a focus point to the side or above and your DOF being shallow means the face will be soft or out of focus.

This is one reason i always use focus and recompose, i know the centre point is what i am focusing on. so i pre-focus and then frame. Saying that as the focus sensor points are fairly large it can still miss focus if i am not careful or am trying to focus on something small.

Realising the above made the single biggest difference for me. On top of that, realising the amount of light required, the effect of focal length vs shutter speed regarding shake etc..

It took time but my pictures are still rubbish.. but are an improvement on what they were and on my old camera. But occasionally i get lucky.... Our wedding day, my newly wed wife, and a lucky pot shot while my camera was hung around a friends neck while i was showing them how to adjust something.. no skill required but i still needed to be familiar and comfortable with the camera to operate it that quick.

I guess what i'm saying is TAKE THE TIME TO LEARN, dont blame the camera straight away, but also dont rule out the fact that it could be the camera too at some point.. the chance is slim tho....

Steve