Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How to test one lens against another ?

Hello from Maine

I will soon have a Sears (Chinon) k-mount 135/2.8 and a Vivitar (Komine) screw-mount 135/2.8 lens.

I don't need both, how do you recommend I test them against each other ?

Two lenses enter, only one leaves

Thanks,
Craig

01-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

There are the old Brick Wall and Bookshelf tests: these will let you compare resolution, edge sharpness, etc.

There's the Head Against Sparkly Background shootout: this lets you compare bokeh, punch / dimensionality, etc.

I always shoot an impromptu Light Near Bright Edges test: this quickly displays fringing and color aberrations.

Or you can just wander around with each for a day or three, shooting whatever, and see which one works best for you.
01-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do it this way:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/68032-135mm-le...imes-zoom.html

Which features one of the lenses you have but not the other. Offhand, my guess is those two are going to be close. I had a couple of the Sears 135s with very oily apertures, but fixed and sold them before my big test.

It's not necessary to test like that. You can just use the lenses and see if they work for you. You only have to satisfy yourself.
01-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spystyle Quote
Hello from Maine

I will soon have a Sears (Chinon) k-mount 135/2.8 and a Vivitar (Komine) screw-mount 135/2.8 lens.

I don't need both, how do you recommend I test them against each other ?

Two lenses enter, only one leaves

Thanks,
Craig

check out the review website, all they do is setup a table with stuff (juice box, fruit ect...), take pictures at different aperture, and compare, those are in the same FL so it should be easy, mount on a tripod and start the tests.