Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Black Stripe When Viewing DNG in Picassa

There's a black vertical stripe on the right hand side of dng images I import into Picassa. None in PEF or JPG. Is this a Picassa thing?

01-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I get the same thing. You might occasionally see a multicolored stripe instead of black. I happen to be using a K-R. What camera are you using?

I think the stripe occurs because Picasa has not been updated since the K-R (and K-5) were released. Pentax probably modified their DNG format and Picasa needs time to catch up.

My PEF files get a horribly skewed white balance in Picasa: blue indoors, sepia outdoors. DNG file colors are great so I've stuck with DNG over PEF.
01-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Picassa should read DNG the same whether from a K10D or from a new K-5 or K-r. If it was PEF, that would seem more plausible. Are you getting black lines or spaces with all shots or just occasional ones? Either way, I would make sure you are using the latest version of Picassa and then try again and also make sure this isn't happening on any other sort of raw conversion software. Have you tried to see if this is happening on any other software? If so, I would be suspicious of a camera fault. I use Picassa as a viewer only and I shoot DNG and have for the past 4 years, but if you have something more robust as your converter/developer, you can get some much nicer results than what Picassa shows on screen right from the camera. I find Picassa tends to to be warmish and over highlighted when viewing as opposed to standard untouched viewing on Lightroom.

Jason
01-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've seen the same thing with Paint Shop Pro XII and K7 DNG files. Don't know about other cameras, I stopped trying to use PSP 12 for RAW conversions.

01-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Picassa should read DNG the same whether from a K10D or from a new K-5 or K-r.
Not quite. All these DNGs are camera-specific. There is a generic DNG format but to the best of my knowledge all cameras emit a camera-specific version. Bibble 5 supports the latter but not the generic version, which you e.g., obtain if you convert a PEF file into DNG.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I find Picassa tends to to be warmish and over highlighted when viewing as opposed to standard untouched viewing on Lightroom.
"Untouched viewing on Lightroom" is not a well-defined term. Lightroom applies some standard development settings (e.g., more brightness and contrast) and the user can change those defaults. LR also has its own idea what the correct colour mix is; it differs from what the Pentax Utility program produces. Hence, if you don't make any adjustments in LR, it doesn't mean no adjustments have been made.
01-25-2011, 05:17 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The camera is a K-X.
It's consistently down the right side.
Picassa prompts me to update, but it's not that old.
I'm also one firmware version down on the camera.

The jpegs of the same subject looked better than either of the raw formats, in Picassa.
01-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VelvetFoot Quote
Picassa prompts me to update, but it's not that old.
Why don't you update nevertheless?
It could help.

I'm also one firmware version down on the camera.
That's fine (regarding this problem).

The jpegs of the same subject looked better than either of the raw formats, in Picassa.
That's normal. The camera has already done some processing to your JPGs while RAW files typically need a boost in contrast, saturation, etc. I believe Picasa already does a bit of default boosting but it will depend on your JPGs settings how big the differences are.

01-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
I have a K-x and get the same results with dng files. I gave up looking for a solution once I realized that Picassa likes to strip the EXIF data when saving files. I now only use Picassa to view jpg's.
01-26-2011, 04:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DanWeso Quote
I gave up looking for a solution once I realized that Picassa likes to strip the EXIF data when saving files.
My Picasa version (3.6.0) retains EXIF data. I just checked it by exporting a DNG. I guess you should check again.
01-26-2011, 04:38 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
My Picasa version (3.6.0) retains EXIF data. I just checked it by exporting a DNG. I guess you should check again.
I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe it is version or task specific. I now have version 3.8.0 and I just cropped a dng file and save it as a jpg and it stripped the data.
01-26-2011, 05:44 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I get the same thing. You might occasionally see a multicolored stripe instead of black. I happen to be using a K-R. What camera are you using?

I think the stripe occurs because Picasa has not been updated since the K-R (and K-5) were released. Pentax probably modified their DNG format and Picasa needs time to catch up.

My PEF files get a horribly skewed white balance in Picasa: blue indoors, sepia outdoors. DNG file colors are great so I've stuck with DNG over PEF.
Yes, I get the stripe using Picassa and saw in another thread on this forum that this will be metadata, not image data, and most likely all the EXIF stuff. Picassa seems to darken all my .DNG files by 3 stops (!?) I'm saving up for Lightroom 3 so I hope I won't get any problems with altering the image or the crashes I get with my Mac when using Silkypix as supplied with my K5.
01-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DanWeso Quote
I now have version 3.8.0 and I just cropped a dng file and save it as a jpg and it stripped the data.
Just updated to version 3.8.0, cropped a DNG, saved it as a JPG (via EXPORT) and all the EXIF data is there.

I checked with PhotoME. What are you using to look for the JPG's metadata?
01-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same here - it's just how Picasa deals with the DNG format. Not to worry - when you go to edit the photo and then save as jpg or whatever, the stripe is no longer there
01-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Just updated to version 3.8.0, cropped a DNG, saved it as a JPG (via EXPORT) and all the EXIF data is there.

I checked with PhotoME. What are you using to look for the JPG's metadata?
Here, this time, dng cropped and saved it as a jpg via export

Picasa Web Albums - DanTWeso

I use PhotoME or Picassa.
01-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #15
kwv

I have the same black stripe for DNGs from Picasa. For the year that I've had my K-x, I've just incorporated cropping around it in my workflow.

I realized that I stopped taking so many pictures because it was such a hassle to process the 100+ pictures I'd get on an afternoon shoot (and I don't like the default jpeg colors). I started looking into alternatives like UFRAW / Digikam to convert DNG to jpegs.

I suspect that Picasa inherited this from the open source c code DCRAW.
DCRAW has been fixed in the most recent version (9.05) for both K-x and K-r, and it's starting to migrate to downstream tools (UFRAW built from CVS .18 has the fix, as well as K-x white balance settings).

With a simple batch script & UFRAW, I hope to automate a rough first pass at DNG to jpeg, identify those that i want to tweak, and crop out the black line. My backup plan is Lightroom, I just started a 30 day trial, and the stripe is not present.