Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #16
Pentaxian

When I look at my local Craig's List, the prices are way too high! Like $400 for a K-1000. I've never seen anything that was even close to being reasonably priced. Not much Pentax stuff, anyway.

That said, if I found a good deal on CL, I might go for it, but I would never buy anything off of CL that I could not go see and pick up personally. Unlike eBay, CL offers no buyer or seller protection. They're like the classified ads in the newspaper. If you send the money and the seller doesn't send the merchandise, CL won't help you. They certainly won't refund your money.

01-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mojoe_24 Quote
I'm looking to buy a couple lenses off ebay. What should I look for to make sure they are of quality?
I've gotten @ 10 lenses through Craigslist.

8 of the 10 lenses are superb, even an SMC-Tak 135 2.5, Pentax-m 200 4.0, Pentax-f 35-70 and 70-210, Vivitar 300 and Soligor and others... all I think way under what I would get the same lens on Ebay. Ebay, IMHO, has gotten way out of hand price wise, although I've gotten a few through ebay, they're the most expensive...

The one thing to look for other than the usual scratch, fungus, etc... is the operation of the aperture blades. They MUST be snappy otherwise if they're at all sluggish, they won't stop down properly... this is the advantage of Craigslist over Ebay, one man's snappy aperture is another man's sluggish. You get to see and use the Craigslist item...

Good luck... Rick
01-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #18

I bought the Sigma Super-Wide II 24/2.8 last year. It mounts and dismounts without any problem on my K20. It's an excellent lens, although a bit cool color-wise. But what can I expect for a lens that cost me $3.00 (sorry, I had to rub it in).
01-25-2011, 03:36 PM   #19
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Wise Quote
I bought the Sigma Super-Wide II 24/2.8 last year. It mounts and dismounts without any problem on my K20. It's an excellent lens, although a bit cool color-wise. But what can I expect for a lens that cost me $3.00 (sorry, I had to rub it in).
Are you related to Rio?

01-25-2011, 03:59 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Every lens I've ever gotten from CL or Ebay has been a piece of ****. Except one Nikkor I got from Henry's.
They all either had dissolved coatings, anti seize flecks all over the inside of the front group, fungus or undisclosed botched repair jobs.
Just shop here.
When I buy used lenses (cuz I still can't stop myself) from CL/Bay, I usually try to get a free camera out of the deal. I bought a camera kit off a cop off CL for $25 and wound up with a fungus infested SMC-M 50mm f/1.7. It cleaned right up. The ME Super was toast.
01-26-2011, 11:06 PM   #21

Original Poster
Well, seems like I'll be holding off for a month or so since I'm *hopefully* buying a car this weekend, lol.
01-26-2011, 11:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

i just had my 1st "problem" with CL. a seller pop up an ad stating he's selling a lens for 250 OBO (not sure if if it was really his, from the description it doesn't look like he's doing any photography). The lens is worth about 500.

He stated to call him after 8:30 (not putting down AM or PM) I called him up in the morning at 9AM (because common sense is telling me, who the hell sell stuff after 8:30PM) and was rudely told "i said after 8:30PM, i'm at work right now blah blah).

So i told him i was sorry (even though it's not my fault), called him back, and asked him how much he want for it, was told 200, I said ok (notice I don't bargain, I do not like to bargain when I'm having a great deal already), he set up the place and time to meet up the next day.

4 hours before the meet up he called me back and said he sold it to someone else for 400... I understand that he had a better offer, but at the very least he shoulda called me before selling it... I'm a bit upset not because I didn't get the deal (really was out of my budget ATM), but more so on the ethic of some of these people doing business.

but that's what you have to deal with, there's also some crazy folks out there, so I always meet at a public place (although I'm more than capable of defending myself, but why bother, meet in public, safe for both sides).
01-27-2011, 03:06 AM   #23
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
"Buying lenses from Craigslist, what should I look for?"

Just the ones you want, otherwise LBA takes over.

01-29-2011, 01:09 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Just picked up my new walking around lens (when the weather allows walking around) on Craigslist. A SMC Pentax-F 35-135 f/3.5-4.5. It was advertised for $50 along with a P30T and several flashes. I told the guy I would give him $75 if he shipped it Priority Mail (he lives in "Deliverance" country and it's the middle of winter) and he agreed. I wouldn't have done this if he hadn't posted good pictures of the items for sale. Everything arrived today in good condition and the lens is great.
01-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Just picked up my new walking around lens (when the weather allows walking around) on Craigslist. A SMC Pentax-F 35-135 f/3.5-4.5. It was advertised for $50 along with a P30T and several flashes. I told the guy I would give him $75 if he shipped it Priority Mail (he lives in "Deliverance" country and it's the middle of winter) and he agreed. I wouldn't have done this if he hadn't posted good pictures of the items for sale. Everything arrived today in good condition and the lens is great.

this is a recipe for disaster, CL is kindda bad for mailing item and money (the forum is a tad better as there's a bit more control), i just don't feel safe doing that . One of my friend tried to do it on an iphone 4 and got burned.
01-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
this is a recipe for disaster, CL is kindda bad for mailing item and money (the forum is a tad better as there's a bit more control), i just don't feel safe doing that . One of my friend tried to do it on an iphone 4 and got burned.
Where you live yes. Where I live, not so much. And if he was going to try and rip me off I have both his email address & his home address.
01-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #27

how is adorama

is adorama good for buying lenses?
01-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chrisrunnels Quote

i think so, i think they even let you return (which is kindda nice).
01-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chrisrunnels Quote
I have heard disparaging things about their rating system. KEH has a 14 day no questions asked return policy and a 60 day warranty on used equipment.