Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 06:11 PM   #1

Software and firmware updates for K-7

I just purchased a used K-7, and found all of the downloads on the Pentax website, but I still have a few questions. I'm really new to this DSLR world, so go easy on me.

My camera did not come with the original software discs, so I'm on my own to get my cpu set up.

What is the "Digital Camera Utility Update V4.21"?
It says I must have an earlier version installed first, but as far as I know I don't have this. What can I do about that?

The firmware update that is also available for download, version 1.11- what is that?

Thanks in advance-

01-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's the K-7 firmware changelog:

Changes to V1.11

• Compatible with SDXC memory card.*Transfer rate is not compatible with UHS speed class.
    * Contents of [Version 1.01 ~1.10] will be also updated.
Changes to V1.10

• Added Movie editing function on playback mode palette. You can divide a movie into multiple segments and erase unwanted segments from the movie. How to operate the function, Click Here.
  • Added Electronic Level indication on the Monitor
  • When Mode dial is set M or X and Electronic Level is set to display, exposure meter is indicated both of them in the LCD panel and in the Viewfinder
  • Added [Reversal Film] mode on Custom Image function [PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4] have been updated. For update software, Click Here
  • When using Live View, auto focus activate by pressing shutter release button halfway. Also improved focus speed
Changes to V1.03

• Lens Correction (Distortion, Lateral chromatic aberration) is settable for below FA limited lenses.
    smc PENTAX-FA 31mmF1.8AL Limited
    smc PENTAX-FA 43mmF1.9 Limited
    smc PENTAX-FA 77mmF1.8 Limited
  • Improved usability by optimize the program of vertical position judgment.
  • Improved stability of recording movie for some SDHC Memory card.
Changes to V1.02

• Added [Fine Sharpness 2] which makes image outlines even sharper than [Fine Sharpness] to the Sharpness setting of Custom Image. How to select [Fine Sharpness 2], Click Here
  • Improved total image processing performance at the particular shooting condition or setting such as preview image quality at the "Water Color & Pastel" of Digital Filter mode.
  • Improved stability for general performance such as with Battery Grip D-BG4, the rear e-dial may rarely become unstable in particular shooting condition.
Changes to V1.01

• Added [Operate at AF point “SEL”] on [Custom] menu and it can be selected either [1 Calling Function Preference] or [2 Select AF point Preference].
    When selected [2 Select AF point Preference] and AF point switching dial is set at [SEL], selection of AF point can be operated priority by the four-way controller.
    How to operate additional function, Click Here.
  • Improved stability for general performance
    For example: when left- end focus point is selected, function of auto focus may rarely become unstable in particular shooting condition.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
To see what version of firmware is on your camera currently, hold down the menu button while turning on the camera.
01-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by offthebeatenpath Quote
...What is the "Digital Camera Utility Update V4.21"?
It says I must have an earlier version installed first, but as far as I know I don't have this. What can I do about that?
It's software from Pentax that allows you to organize and edit your images. It's not that easy to use but it does actually work. If you have another image editing program you like, you can skip it. I like to install it just in case, but rarely use it.

There are many ways to get around the requirement to have a CD it install the upgrade. I used the last method in this thread, renaming a USB drive to have the volume label that the install program looks for.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/miscellaneous-articles/36984-how-install-...stalled-2.html