Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: near Montreal
Posts: 3
depleted batteries

Hello to all! I've read about this problem with AA batteries but my K-100D super just gives me this ''batteries depleted'' message with my brand new crv-3's. I just don't understand. The message appears as I take the first shot with the batteries fully charged. Any guess as to what is the problem? I hope it is nothing serious...

thanks for any input
Frank

01-25-2011, 05:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago suburbs
Photos: Albums
Posts: 848
Try Eneloops. They work. Look on amazon. Duracell PRECHARGED rechargeable batteries work too.
Look here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/130322-...indicator.html
01-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
Moderator
Tom S.'s Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,239
Not all rechargeable batteries are equal, nor are their chargers. Get a volt meter and check the output of one of your freshly charged batteries. I'm betting they aren't putting out sufficient voltage.

You have two choices, buy new rechargeable batteries or a new recharger, unless you have a friend you can swap with to see if you can trace the problem. I'd try batteries first. As mentioned, Eneloops have a sterling reputation.

As a side note, I used cheap rechargable batteries with my ist-Ds and they never did charge up to what the camera needed. Not only did they die rapidly, their 'sitting life' after charging was very short.
01-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Left Coast, FL
Posts: 4
depleted

Check my "battery indicator" strand of 1/23. I just went thru this with my Super and everything is fine now.

01-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: near Montreal
Posts: 3
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Not all rechargeable batteries are equal, nor are their chargers. Get a volt meter and check the output of one of your freshly charged batteries. I'm betting they aren't putting out sufficient voltage.
Voltage was showing up great on my batteries... After a bit of reading and a call to the store where I bought the camera, the problem should be the miliamps of the batteries wich is too low. Apparently Pentax recommends 2200 mah for the camera to fonction properly... My brand new batteries were 1100 mah. So the local camera store just robbed me a bit more with a brand new kit of Ansmann 2850 mah and charger for 79$ (wich I can get on ebay for 35$... but I needed it now so I had to pay way too much for it....

anyhow... I cant wait to play a bit with the camera after I charge the batteries and see in a month or so how they hold up....

The only concern I have is the fact that my lithium batteries used to do very well in cold weather, wich is not necessarily true of ni-mh batteries. Have any of you ever tried the Ansmann in cold weather (true canadian winter...between -10 or -20 celcius)?
01-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,858
Page 26 of your manual says don't use rechargeable CRV3s.
01-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
Moderator
Tom S.'s Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,239
QuoteOriginally posted by wipe Quote
Voltage was showing up great on my batteries... After a bit of reading and a call to the store where I bought the camera, the problem should be the miliamps of the batteries wich is too low. Apparently Pentax recommends 2200 mah for the camera to fonction properly... My brand new batteries were 1100 mah. So the local camera store just robbed me a bit more with a brand new kit of Ansmann 2850 mah and charger for 79$ (wich I can get on ebay for 35$... but I needed it now so I had to pay way too much for it....

anyhow... I cant wait to play a bit with the camera after I charge the batteries and see in a month or so how they hold up....

The only concern I have is the fact that my lithium batteries used to do very well in cold weather, wich is not necessarily true of ni-mh batteries. Have any of you ever tried the Ansmann in cold weather (true canadian winter...between -10 or -20 celcius)?
I forgot about the amp difference, which is really bad for me considering my electrical background, and I apologize. The only advise I can offer on the cold weather is to carry a spare set in an inside coat pocket! My luck with anything other than lithium and cold weather has been spotty.
01-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: near Montreal
Posts: 3
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Page 26 of your manual says don't use rechargeable CRV3s.
I had not noticed this before... but it says the R-CRV3s are not recommanded.... that they MAY cause malfunctions... still, if I ever find rechargeable crv3s that have the Mah requiered, I'll jump on them, since they are by far the best I've ever had, by far.


Last edited by wipe; 01-26-2011 at 06:16 PM.
01-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter
slip's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 2 hours north of toronto ontario canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,533
I was having problems similar to you but with my flash. I have a tool that is used to clean copper pipe (like a wire brush with fine wires) and I gave the contacts a brushing, and it works now (did not even turn on before)
might be worth a try

here a a pic of a similar one Ridgid 4100 Copper Pipe Cleaning Brush

hope this helps

randy
01-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,278
That is way drastic for cleaning contacts. Works for plumbing pipe and car batteries, no good for electronics.
Cuts through any protective metal layer deposited on the contacts, rendering them useless in a short order. Read "rusting/ corrosion".
If you feel the need for Heavy Duty cleaning, then use a pencil eraser, easy with that too because it is highly abrasive.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
batteries, message, pentax help
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Optio S55 battery depleted ognyang Pentax Compact Cameras 4 06-30-2010 03:02 AM
Optio M40 Battery Depleted Error Snap&Go Pentax Compact Cameras 1 05-21-2010 04:26 PM
The best batteries chromo Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 02-14-2010 12:05 AM
best batteries?? strictlypentax Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 13 06-17-2009 07:21 AM
batteries Again Papou Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 3 09-12-2007 05:29 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:07 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top