Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K10 Setting Question

I was messing around in my settings last night and I must have selected something, but I don't know what I did.

When I take a picture that requires a long(er) exposure, there is a red light that flashes and beeps until the shutter closes.

What did I select and how where is it in the menu so I can remove it?

Best,
Kevin

01-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You may have turned on the self timer. That's the only thing I can think of that beeps when the red light is flashing. Other things that make the light flash include the wireless remote function. You can turn this off by pressing the function (Fn) button and then pressing the up arrow to access the camera's Drive Mode. Make sure Single frame shooting is selected. Hope that fixes the problem. If not you can always go into the menu and reset all functions to default. Or read the manual.
01-25-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter

sounds like the 2 or 12 sec timer. Go into the drive mode menu (fn > up) and choose single shot or continuous
01-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the timer though would only beep before the shutter begins.

in this case. i'm pressing the shutter to take the picture and when i fully depress the shutter release and the exposure begins the beep occurs only for the exposure time. not before it.

01-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

How long does the beep last? When the 2 sec timer is on it forces mirror lock-up as soon as you press the shutter release button. When the timer is engaged the shutter opening and closing is very quiet, it's the mirror that makes most of the noise. Have you checked your Drive Mode settings? What are they?
01-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
the timer though would only beep before the shutter begins.

in this case. i'm pressing the shutter to take the picture and when i fully depress the shutter release and the exposure begins the beep occurs only for the exposure time. not before it.
I think you are hearing the mirror flip up, which is the main purpose of the 2 sec timer. You press the shutter and immediately, the mirror flips up out of the way. The camera will beep for 2 seconds, then activate the shutter and flip the mirror back down. It sounds like a long exposure because of the mirror flipping in the beginning.

Did you try changing the drive mode?
01-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I think you are hearing the mirror flip up, which is the main purpose of the 2 sec timer. You press the shutter and immediately, the mirror flips up out of the way. The camera will beep for 2 seconds, then activate the shutter and flip the mirror back down. It sounds like a long exposure because of the mirror flipping in the beginning.

Did you try changing the drive mode?
I keep beating you to it! It sounds like we're on the same page though.
01-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks guys. that's what it was. i'm surprised i didn't see that. but...that goes to show how little i use the timer.

so the 12 second timer will lift the mirror up when i press the button and give me 12 sec's to get into position, but it just sounds like the shutter is open actually taking the picture when its not.
got it.