Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

18% Grey Card?

When are these appropriate/not appropriate to use?

Anyone here use/have one?

If you do have one... How much use do you actually get out of it??

Cheers...
Dave

01-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Gray cards can be used to set the color balance or exposure. I don't use one, though.
01-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one and have used it to do custom WB for indoor shots with complicated lighting. I've converted to white cards though for reasons that this is better for DSLR's than the gray cards used for film. I like using custom WB's and do them as often as I can. I now tend to use a lens cap with a white balance dome in it so I can set the custom WB whenever I need it. Again, this tends to be indoors but if I'm in bright shade or complicated lighting I'll try a custom WB and am usually happier than with the settings in the menu.

That said, it is one more thing to do and carry. If all I had one a grey card, I'll keep it in my bag and use it for indoor work. There is a lot more to be said about this subject.
01-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I have one and have used it to do custom WB for indoor shots with complicated lighting.
So would be useful for Theatre Promo shots then I guess... Have been doing a few recently during rehersals for development productions... Also been having to do muchos work in lightroom!!

For the realatively cheap prices (in 18%gray and white backed) I think it'll be worth picking one up through the work account and trying it out:-)

Cheers for the replies guys

01-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, exactly. BTW you can do it two ways. One is to read up on setting a custom WB for your K-x, I don't have one but it's really easy with my Pentax's. Once it's set for the lighting shoot away even change lenses. If the lighting changes redo.

Or, you can shot a shot with the card in it and then correct the image in PP. Little more complicated but it works too.
Best of luck.
01-25-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Or, you can shot a shot with the card in it and then correct the image in PP. Little more complicated but it works too. Best of luck.
I figured I could just give the card to one of the subjects... get a meter... lock the exposure with the AF/AE-L button... get the subject to toss the card out of the shot... and start shooting from there...

Have I got this backwards/sideways??

And yeah... the lighting mostly changes per scene... although there was a strobing blue light at the last shoot which made things interesting LOL
01-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you are going to use it to set exposure you should do some testing. 18% is not the correct value to set your exposure. Do a google search for "12% gray" for some nice technical reading on why 12% is the proper exposure for your camera. However 18% is a nice constant surface you can meter from if you compensate from it appropriately.
01-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cwood Quote
If you are going to use it to set exposure you should do some testing. 18% is not the correct value to set your exposure. Do a google search for "12% gray" for some nice technical reading on why 12% is the proper exposure for your camera. However 18% is a nice constant surface you can meter from if you compensate from it appropriately.
Cheers cwood... Will do:-)