Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 12:23 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Independent USA K7 'grey market' repair facility?

I recently made a big (HUGE) mistake. After buying equiptment from B&H exclusively for months and getting GREAT service, I bought elsewhere for a lower price and got stung for not reading online reviews pre-purchase.

The camera I bought (k7) has yet to arrive - but I am 100% sure it will be a 'grey market' import item. The discount wasnt nearly deep enough to justify not using B&H & paying a few more bucks. I had no idea this k7 was grey market or wouldnt have bought it. Supposedly, I am getting a 1yr with (90 day labor only) warranty, but at this point I dont trust anything this retailer says. I feel like I just slept with the devil after reading litterally hundreds of on-line reviews. I will be lucky to get a good k7 and get out alive type thing. I cant believe I supported this company.

My question is this; is there a independent USA dslr repair facility that will fix this 'grey market pentax k7' camera at my cost IF I have an issue in the future? I am starting to wonder if anyone will touch it, knowing full well pentax certainly will not, even @ my cost.

This is my first pentax and I cant believe I am this crazy even before it has been delivered. It isnt my intention to 'out' this online retailer, that history has already been well established. I am trying to find a way to service a grey market k7 in the usa if & when needed. Truth be told if the k7 shows up & is NOT actually a 'open box', 'factory refurb', or have 10,000 shutter actuations; I will be very surprised and feel as though I dodged a bullet for sure! Fingers are crossed.

Thank you very much in advance for ANY suggestions!

01-26-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't suppose you can cancel the transaction or just return it when it arrives? If you paid by credit card you might be able to use the card company to leverage a refund.
If nothing else, at least the K7 seems to be reliable out of the box. Were it a K5 I'd be a more excited....
01-26-2011, 05:04 AM   #3
JHD
Veteran Member

Pentax and grey market? Doesn't seem like a worthwhile venture. I think your anxiety is a little premature.
01-26-2011, 05:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I really wouldn't worry about it. Pentax's international warranty should cover the camera for 1 year as long as you have a sales receipt. You would call Pentax USA and then send it to CRIS in Arizona. I really think you'll be fine.

01-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
So whats all this I read about 'grey market' not being supported by pentax USA B/C authorized dealers pay for the infastructure to allow usa warranty service? Warranty service is factored into the cost of items sold through authorized dealers.

If Pentax USA will service grey market imported than why would anyone buy USA models for $100.00 more? There IS a difference. Read the warranty structure at broadway photo on 'grey market import items' vs USA models & see for yourself.

I was VERY purposeful to not hide any facts here. Has anyone who has replied actually ever purchased grey market import AND had pentax USA warranty it? The serial number leaves no doubt it was NOT a authorized USA import. Authorized USA pentax dealers support the usa warranty structure, import grey market contributes nothing. This is how/why you can buy grey market imports (imported through means BESIDES authorized USA dealers) for less $$$!!

I want to get a accurate factual answer direct from pentax as much as I appreciate everyones thoughts/replies.

Last edited by oahutodd; 01-26-2011 at 01:58 PM.
01-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #6

Original Poster
Ive just got the answer direct from pentax USA. I have confirmed my suspicions & been told it has NO warranty from pentax. Zero, nada, nothing! Not 1 day or 90days or 1 yr. Any warranty for GMI items (grey market import) is from seller ONLY if they offer it.

Here is the email;

Dear Todd,
Thank you for contacting Pentax regarding the K-7 DSLR.
Unfortunately, if it is grey market it would have no warranty with Pentax at all. but we could still do repairs if needed. Here is the information for a repair if you ever need it.
If the camera is not covered by our warranty at this time, you will be sent an estimate in the mail or contacted by phone. If you go through with the repair, it will have a new 90 day standard warranty on it,and if you want to refuse the repair, we will send the camera back to you for a $12.00 shipping fee.

Here is the information you will need to send the camera in for repair:

PENTAX SERVICE DEPARTMENT
250 North 54th St
Chandler, AZ 85226

Telephone: (800) 877-0155

Pentax will repair it 100% at my cost - which is the answer I needed. Some companies WILL NOT work on grey market - period. For any amount of $$$!

My very best advice; do NOT under any circumstance buy grey market items or use broadway photo. Nuff said.... I would gladly return my grey market k7 except Ive already incured shipping costs to hawaii, then back to NY, PLUS restocking fees! So to return it would cost me along the lines of $200.00. So unless there is an issue beyond the grey market (it is open box, factory refurb, used, etc) I am keeping it as I have no reasonable altenative.

Lesson learned.

Last edited by oahutodd; 01-26-2011 at 01:59 PM.
01-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

You can contact CRIS directly: WebSite.

They are good.

I don't know much about Broadway Photo, but I know that many dealers sell both "properly imported" and "gray market" cameras/lenses. As long as the dealer makes it clear, I don't have any problem.

Edit to add: I just checked Broadway Photo's website, labeling a camera as "Import Model," instead of the commonly-used term "gray market," to me, is NOT clear enough.

I'll stick with B&H and Adorama.

Last edited by SOldBear; 01-26-2011 at 02:14 PM.
01-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Pentax and grey market? Doesn't seem like a worthwhile venture. I think your anxiety is a little premature.

If you read the rating & reviews here Broadway Photo / A&M Photo World, Regal Camera, Prestige Camera, Preferred Photo, Royal Camera, bway - broadwayphoto.com/ - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings

you would understand why my anxiety is fully endorced 100% by BP's past reputation/actions. Their current rating is 0.00 out of 10. Along with a equally horrible BBB rating. BP are being investigated at both state & federal level currently for fraudulent bussiness practices..

Compare that with B&H rating of 9.82 of 10.0 (almost PERFECT score!)
B&H Photo-Video-Pro Audio - bhphotovideo.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings

I cant make this stuff up! 710 reviews & a 0.00 rating for broadway photo. they also operate under 6 different names in an attempt to distance themselfs from past issues.

01-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Edit to add: I just checked Broadway Photo's website, labeling a camera as "Import Model," instead of the commonly-used term "gray market," to me, is NOT clear enough.
No doubt! What item isnt 'imported' that isnt manufactured in the USA!!!~ HELLO!

Guess i will know next week how it all works out. I am going to inspect that 'GMI' k7 with a microscope. If its not 100% factory fresh perfection - there will be issues.
01-27-2011, 06:10 AM   #10

BBB is beyond useless. As long as a business is paying their membership dues, there has to be drastic issues before they give a truly accurate report or grade. My guess? Broadway Photo is about a month away from bankruptcy if BBB is reporting problems.

I would call up my credit card immediately and see if you have any recourse, like stopping payment. You have no idea what the options are until you call them to inquire. It would certainly be worth the $20 to return the camera with a signature required IF your credit card will stop payment. ('Import camera' is a rather vague term and your CC might be responsive to this deceptive practice on a sales site.) I've lived on O'ahu, mailing costs are more, but it's the restocking fee that is so high. I sort of suspect you'll be lucky to get the camera if Broadway Photo is in that much hot water. Make the call to the CC now.
01-27-2011, 06:27 AM   #11
Forum Member

If they have misrepresented the product, by calling a grey-market item an import, you can dispute the charge with your credit card company and there is NO restocking fee.

And if needed, return it via USPS in a flat-rate box for $14.95.

If you keep the camera, you are just helping to keep these guys in business.
01-27-2011, 06:55 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Getting a refund from Broadway will be near impossible. talk with your credit card company and if they will support the dispute (they may not as saying Import model does imply it's not a domestic model) If they will dispute the charge and return the camera. My guess is the dispute will drag on for quite some time. these guys have been notorious forever, well before the days of internet shopping they were a problem. they were also known for bait switch for a long time. Did they at least ship the whole kit. they used to love to take out the charger etc and sell it separately