Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #31
Veteran Member

I had been using and loving Olympus' 3040W and then the 8080W and Sanyo Xacti video, for scuba and more. Time came where I thought I had outgrown them and wanted the real thing. Narrowed it down to a D90 or K7 and went with the K7 (and recently K5) maybe because they seemed niche and I like being independent, a black sheep !

Never regretted it and now with the K5, Kr & Kx I'm ecstatic Pentax can more than fight their corner in mainstream photography again.

01-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Someone I know out in CA has a few (cough) cameras on hand. I got to play with them all for a while, try various ones and I fell in love with the SP/SPII models he owned and with his Takumars. He shoots a few brands actually but says he's always been partial to Pentax.

I eventually got my own SP, then later an SPII. Couldn't have suited me more, either of them. Now I have a digital *ist and soon hopefully a K-x. I'm extremely happy with all my Pentax cameras.

I'm a confirmed Pentax person with one exception. I really like the old Yashica cameras as well and I own 2 of those. I wouldn't choose them over my Pentax gear but I enjoy using them too. They have a very similar feel to using my Spotties and the C/Y glass I have is also very nice. I really wish I could use my C/Y glass on my Pentax bodies but unfortunately that's not really possible short of converting the lenses and I don't want to do that. Otherwise? I probably would just use them on my *ist most likely.
01-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
I chose Pentax because I heard the company was doomed and I thought I could help save it.
I wanted a pentax for the same reason, except i thought i can get shit for cheap since pentax is going down lol, same reason i would get an olympus. I'm not one of those who would go for new stuff all the time, so I try to go for cheaper older stuff.
01-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #34
Forum Member

No reason in particular. I just happened to get into film and started picking up Ricoh and Pentax SLRs. Kind of grew from there.

01-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #35
Pentaxian

I came from 2x Canon A-1s with several FD lenses. The A-1s treated me well, but having Canon abandon the mount was irritating. And curing the infamous squeak was an ongoing expense - I tried doing it myself, but was never successful.

At the time I bought my K100, there was no way to get 24-300mm (35mm equivalent) in two lenses, both with SR, for any affordable price, except with Pentax. I also like the AAs.

Paul
01-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #36

I had been in the hunt for and entry level DSLR for some time and I never would have run across my KX if it weren't for Fry's Electronics. I had originally been looking at the D5000 for a bit mainly because I have firends with Nikons and could borrow glass if needed, but happened across the the KX. Did some research and almost bought the kit online, but ended up getting a GREAT deal on Craigslist for a low actuation White KX. The performance to price ratio of the KX was already better than the d5000 at msrp imo, the deal I got just made me feel like it was meant to be!
01-28-2011, 08:21 PM   #37

Pure chance

I got into Pentax by pure chance. My first camera (2 years ago), was purchased with reward programs and with the number I had at that time, I selected a Pentax Optio E60. A year later, I wanted to get a camera with a bigger zoom, but didn't about DSLR cameras. On vacation I entered a camera store and asked around for prices, then the sales man put the K20D in my hands. At that point I fell in love with DLSR and photography.

Chance brought me to Pentax and now I see friends with Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Fujifilm.

Toughness of these cameras are amazing ! I travel for work and always bring these cameras and sometimes the ride is bumpy and still these cameras rock !!

Price vs Quality is amazing and also the ergonomy, I prefer handling a Pentax than a Nikon or Canon (it is not the "scare of changing" ).

So I will stay for many years with Pentax
01-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I actually almost ended up NOT being a pentaxian. I had been taking some art classes, and I was picking up everything except drawing pretty well, I knew about balance and composition, etc, but I just COULDN'T draw to save my life. My teacher suggested I try photography. I went hunting for a cheap 35mm camera, and I was about to choose between an old Kine Exakta and a Canon 7 (or maybe it was a P...) but then I saw a Spotmatic with the Super-Tak 55 for 45$ (half the price of the Exacta, 1/3rd of the Canon) and I pulled the trigger. A year later, and I haven't looked back. I've got a Film KX and a bag of lenses, and couldn't be happier with Pentax, although I'd still like to handle a waist-level finder and maybe take that Canon RF around the block...

01-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #39

It was a leap of faith for me. The K-x is my first DSLR and I hadn't seen it in any of the stores nearby. However, the features looked better than comparably priced Nikons/Canons, the reviews were good and so, I decided to go with Pentax.
01-29-2011, 12:19 AM   #40
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is nice to hear the different stories. Everyone is different and each personal experience adds more insight into the Pentaxian mind.

On my side, I came to Pentax after two ultra-zoom P&S (Olympus and Panasonic). I considered very seriously the Nikon (D90), Canon (500D) and Pentax (K-7 and K-x). I went to the local store and hand-tested all of these. At the end, the selection of the Pentax K-7 was based upon:
- the hand-feel and handling of the K-7 is leading edge - the best dSLR handling among all SLRs I tried;
- the weather-resistance - I shoot outdoor a lot;
- the viewfinder - the best among the cameras I considered.

Since I discovered the Pentax lenses like the FA31mm and DA18-250mm. Amazing lenses... that keep me a very happy Pentax user.
01-29-2011, 01:39 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I bought a K10D (with AL-II kitlens) just over 2 years ago as it offered more options that were relevant to me than the competition (for the same price). This was my first dSLR (coming from a Minolta X700 SLR that served me well for 20-odd years).

Price had to be OKish as I was not sure if a dSLR was really for me.

I handled a 450D (or something like that; did not work out well), wanted to handle a Nikon in the shop but the salesman was trying to sell me something else and found the K10D eventually at the local Pentax repair centre. Handled it, walked out, turned around and bought it.
01-29-2011, 09:12 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Very simply, Pentax was the most serious stuff obtainable, particularly for someone of an old-school mindset who wants top-quality legacy primes. (I'm another Canon FD shooter who just stayed in the late 80's when they went autofocus.)

The nearest Nikon equivalent to a K20d was a full thousand dollars more just for the body when I got in, (which may as well have been ten thousand, quite honestly,) and I wouldn't be interested in giving up the in-body SR and such at this point.

Pentax has the build quality, ergonomics, camera bodies that aren't computers open to the weather, beautiful Limited primes in a very-useful set of focal lengths you don't find elsewhere, lens compatibility with great mechanical film bodies, and you don't need to be carrying excessive sized stuff around just to have controls and quality.

Don't get me wrong, Nikon makes some great stuff, but they're pretty stratified as to what they think a 'serious photographer' needs and can pay. Not everyone needs a gazillion frames a second and big fast zooms.
01-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #43
Banned

For me i had to balance everything: price, quality, take it to trips, and also be simple for a beginner. Thus about 12 months ago, K-x had all those above. So it didnt have to do anything with the brand, but with the product itself!
01-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I kind of stumbled onto Pentax because they've (almost) always been a good value for my dollar. Started with a K100D b/c it was a better value than the D40 and the Canon Rebel XSi at the time (found a better price on it). After that, went through a slew of Pentax digital cameras to my current K-7, which has quite a few features for the price.

The FA31 I bought was cheaper than any L lens (at the time), and same with the FA77. The images they can produce have been stunning. I now hook them up to my film cameras and I get full frame!

The finally... the Pentax 645 represents a great bang-for-the-buck investment, and handles pretty similarly to an SLR. That makes it really easy to use after using DSLRs for a few years.

In summary, I think Pentax just fits my style better overall. For now
01-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From 6th to 10th grade, I sometimes used school cameras. They were either Minolta or Pentax. They had a Canon or two also. We're talkin' XG-1, K1000 and AE-1.
I used to use my stepdad's OM-1 so I didn't have to share a Pentax but he's such a pretentious ******* that I hate Olympus by association.
When I graduated HS, I missed having access to a 35mm SLR and I was out of the house at 17. I was in Service Merchandise wandering around the sporting goods isles and I saw the K1000 on sale a few rows down. $270 with a Tak 28-80 if I remember.

Edit Coulda been $170. I can't remember.