Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2011, 01:25 AM   #91

Location: Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa
Photos: Gallery
My very first SLR was a Pentax S1a and well I didn use a few other makes along the years, the best one was the Pentax SP II and then then a ME..I used Canon, played with Nikon, yashica and many other brands, but in all cases the Pentax had a better balance for my hands. As far as the ability to use all Pentax fit lens from way back made the Pentax a good chioce. When I went digital I had a good, still have it Canon, te type that has a built in zoon and it is a nice camera and is my backup. I chose the Pentax as it had the better balance and the viewfinder was brighter to me than the Nikon and Canon.

05-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #92
Site Supporter

I owned a Canon T2i and the Pentax k-x at the same time. I ended up selling the T2i. The performance and ergonimics of the pentax is so much better and the way canon handles white balance drives me mad. Although the jpg algorithms for the T2i were better, the k-x had more image customization and features, and especially dynamic range in raw. I also like the idea of using cheap vintage glass.
05-13-2011, 09:21 AM   #93
Site Supporter

I am an online research buff and everything I read said Pentax was the way to go. The image quality I saw posted online was outstanding. The dollar value was a big factor, also.
05-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I remember wanting an ME when I was in high school but stuck it out with my old Mamiya DTL-500. I had a home darkroom where I did B&W and Cibachrome prints and E-6 slides. I went to college and didn't continue with my photography after finding other interests.

When digital came along I slowly regained my love of photography. Slowly moving up the camera chain from a P&S to a bridge camera. But I missed the control of a true SLR. I got a bonus in early 2009 and decided to start looking at SLRS. I had no preconceived notions and had pretty much told myself I was getting a Nikon D40 or D60 until I went to the local ritz and held a few cameras. The K100D just felt like an old school camera instead of a toy like the entry level canons & nikons.

I did some research and found that I really liked the way pentax was going and I loved the idea of using older lenses. I was ready to order a camera when we had to use my bonus for an emergency so a new camera was out of the question. But I saw a deal on closeout *istDL's for 230 bucks with lenses so I grabbed one. I soon got a 50-200 and not long after found a deal where I could upgrade to a K10D to get SR which I really wanted without much cash. Then I found about 900 bucks worth of pentax stuff in a local pawn shop for 125 bucks, I sold most of it, that was used to get my 55-300 and keep some cash for upgrades. I've been doing the pawnshop, craigslist deal for a couple of years making a bit in the process. I'd say I've got less than 2K out of pocket and have a K-x,16-45,55-300,FA31,DA15, Flash and numerous cheaper manuals and bags. A LOT for my money.

05-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #95

Photos: Gallery
I went for a Pentax *istDL because of the lens compatibility.
I bought a K200D about a year later for the shake reduction.
I love my K200D!
05-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #96

Photos: Albums
Price for features compared to the big two and backward lens compatibility. And because I wanted to be "different".