Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #61

Photos: Albums
I have been searching camera systems for almost 10 years. Not a professional at all; just love making pictures. Started with Canon, but didn't like lugging all that equipment around. Traveled through Italy and Croatia with a pack containing 4 lenses and a 5D and just got tired of always having to schlepp it around.
Went to micro 4/3 and still have that system with pancake lens and a macro. The image quality is somewhat lacking, so splurged on a Leica M9. I loved the image quality and portability, but was having trouble with my eyes and focusing. Plus, I would often leave it at home and take the Olympus due to the sheer cost of the equipment. Ended up with a K5 after much research and couldn't be happier.
The size of the camera is perfect, love that it is weather sealed; the image quality is on par with 5D (well, maybe not quite as good); and the size and quality of lenses is fantastic. This is the system I will stay with.

02-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #62
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A birthday gift from my mother, a k1000, got me started. Plus having the non-standard camara brand was always and still is a matter of pride. Pentax has always been quality for me and fellow Pentaxians a great group of people to associate with.
02-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #63
mlb
Forum Member

I bought my first SLR in 1971 when I was 16. I was getting ready to go to the Boy Scout World Jamboree in Japan, and wanted a "real" camera to take on the trip.

For what I could afford at the time, I remember I was deciding between a Spotmatic and a Minolta SRT-101. The cameras seemed fairly similar to me, but I knew a couple of Pentax folks and a couple of Minolta folks and I liked the Pentax people better. I had never heard of the term Pentaxian back then.

I made the right decision.
04-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #64
Inactive Account

My first SLR was a Pentax in 1987, saved up all my money to buy it took a photography class in high school. Went forever using it, still had it a couple of years ago. When I decided to buy a DSLR I first looked at Pentax because of the quality of my first SLR. I did major research for about a month before deciding and I went with Pentax K-X and I really love the camera. I also have a K20D, but it is really not as good as the K-X my opinion. I do not regret my decision at all.

05-01-2011, 03:12 AM   #65

I had Pentax in the 70's so when it came to choosing a DSLR I trusted a brand I know, didn't want to run with the crowd, I looked at the quality available and stuck with Pentax, similar to buying my watch I looked at Rolex and Omega but bought a Jaeger LeCoultre, buy the best you can afford everytime.
05-01-2011, 05:06 AM   #66
Inactive Account

I used a nikon Fm2 film camera for a long time, then last year a friend gave me her K200d. I had never thought about using pentax before but I've got to say I am now hooked, I'm loving using old lenses and I know I wont be moving brands.
05-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had narrowed my search down to K-x and some Canon (cant remember which model). The K-x had better ergonomics and didn't feel like a toy/felt more robust unlike the Canon.

05-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #68

Bought a used K10d 2 months ago. When I was 15 my grandfather gave me a pentax me with a 50 mm, 2x converter, vivitar 100 - 300 zoom, 283 vivitar flash and I loved that camera, It was tough and easy to use.
He bought the kit on a trip to Scotland and couldn't really use it so he gave it to me after I showed some interest in photography.
That camera really hooked me and I love that you don't see them everywhere. PHOTOGRAPHERS recognize the gear and respect it. I also like to be a little different so..... PENTAX was a great fit.
After picking up a K10d and some of the rebel cameras there was no comparison.
05-04-2011, 04:12 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Got a Pentax because I took up advertising in college and knew that all that marketing hype made for the prices of the Canon, Nikon and Sony cams.

Then I tested a K-x in the one local store carrying Pentax (something the Canon and Nikon stores do not allow here).... and the rest is history. XD
05-04-2011, 04:23 AM   #70
Veteran Member

My path to Pentax was very indirect.

I am primarily a birder.

I wanted to get a good spotting scope for visual observation of birds. Found out that for the price Pentax made a decent scope.

So I got a Pentax scope. After a while I wanted to try using the scope for bird pics. Found out Pentax made a DSLR adapter for the scope so got that. The adapter would only work with Pentax cameras so got a ist DL and the rest is history.
05-04-2011, 05:29 AM   #71
Veteran Member

It was about 5 years ago. I was leaving for my first trip to Europe. 8 countries over e weeks. My only camera at the time was a Pentax Optio S. I loved the reactions I would get when I popped that little sucker out of an Altoids tin. I decided I needed a proper camera for the trip. Pentax was at the top of my list. Found a great deal on an open box ist DL. Knew nothing about how to use it....left it in green mode and jpg for the whole trip, no regrets, many of the photos I'm proud to still share today.

I still have her, the DL. 8 elemrnt 50mm tak mounted most of the time for quick fun. She's pretty lonely now though, with the K5 in the stable.
05-04-2011, 08:06 AM   #72
Forum Member

Pentax is the brand passed down from father to son. My Dad is an aerial photographer and has used pentax for years and years. It was there reputation for toughness and durability in extreme temperature. It was the only camera brand he could use hanging out the window of a cessna on cold winter days that would not malfunction. Since moving to digital he had been able to add to his portfolio to include nature photography, wedding, and various others. Of course being the brand I grew up around it was only natural that I pick up that same brand. Plus it allows for me to get sweet "hand me downs". So Pentax was an easy choice for me it gives my dad and I something to spend hours doing and discussing.
05-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #73
Inactive Account

Just over 30 years ago I bought a Pentax Auto 110 for backpacking. I was hard on that camera, but it survived a number of years as my photography interest grew. I went on to own an ME Super, a couple of MX cameras, and my prized LX. These were every bit as sturdy (and more!) as the tiny Auto 110 sibling they replaced.

I lost my photo gear to a house fire many years ago, and let my photography interest wane. When it was finally revived, I kept an open mind about all brands and borrowed and rented several cameras. In the long run I ended back at Pentax with the K-x due to the cost to IQ ratio. Still have it, but it's been mainly replaced by a K20D. Having spent so much time with the MX and LX, it's just a joy to have so many dedicated controls in a modern camera body. To date I have yet to try any other dslr - of any brand - that is as "transparent" in use for my style of shooting.

Though I have to give the K-5 a try; that one might change my mind
05-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #74
Site Supporter

I'm a newcomer to the DSLR market, but I did my share of researching. I like Pentax design, from looks to handling performance. My first dslr is the k-x, and I choose that because Pentax still hangs onto AA battery power sources, provides the most features for your buck, and lets one have fun with cheap vintage glass.
05-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Read this - RonakG.in | Why did I choose Pentax K-x over Canon 500D and Nikon D3100?