Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
OP how were the YouTube photographers using the Nikon flashes? There are articles on the internet that talk about the SB-28 and now you can't find a used one for under $80 bucks any more. It's a pretty small unit and has a good guide number...and it's easy to use.
All this is using old school manual strobist techniques. Some people (like my brother in law) refuse to accept any automation and are good enough at manual that all they need is 2-3 test pops.

01-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gashog Quote
OP how were the YouTube photographers using the Nikon flashes? There are articles on the internet that talk about the SB-28 and now you can't find a used one for under $80 bucks any more. It's a pretty small unit and has a good guide number...and it's easy to use.
All this is using old school manual strobist techniques. Some people (like my brother in law) refuse to accept any automation and are good enough at manual that all they need is 2-3 test pops.
Hey, i can't find the video, but if i remember right, he was showing the effect of using An adapter on the flash with accessory like the ones you get on ebay that have beauty dish, snoot, globe, mini softbox ect. he was going to his flash to do something between different accessories so now i'm thinking he was shooting manual flash. he didn't say which nikon flash he was using...he just mentioned he was using a nikon flash.
But to be honest i really don't remember much of the details, i was watching it because i wanted to buy an ebay kit like he was showing.
01-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I'm sure it was the SB-28. that's like the small block Chevy of flashes.
Anyway, I hope you have your answers.
01-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gashog Quote
I'm sure it was the SB-28. that's like the small block Chevy of flashes.
Anyway, I hope you have your answers.
oh ok.
Thanks, yes i do

01-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by lolliiy Quote
Hi, i'v seen canon users (on youtube..doing wireless) using nikon flashes and it made me wonder if i can use my canon flashes wireless (using a trigger/receiver) on my pentax?
Maybe if the flash was set to manual?
I only ask because i don't want to try it with out knowing if it can damage my new camera.
Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Thanks from Casey.
I have the K5, using nikon sb-28's, triggered by the PT04 wireless trigger/rec and flashes must be in manual and you can only go up to 1/180th sync.
01-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patriotap Quote
I have the K5, using nikon sb-28's, triggered by the PT04 wireless trigger/rec and flashes must be in manual and you can only go up to 1/180th sync.
Thanks for the info, i think cactus trigger/receivers are the same because it stops working once i put it above 1/180th.. i really don't mind being in manual flash.
01-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I think the Cactus V4 could go up to 1/500 and the V5 up to 1/1000. The 1/180 limit is imposed by the camera, not by the triggers.

Many strobists use manual flash settings, even if they could use TTL. It just gives the best control.

01-30-2011, 11:11 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I think the Cactus V4 could go up to 1/500 and the V5 up to 1/1000. The 1/180 limit is imposed by the camera, not by the triggers.

Many strobists use manual flash settings, even if they could use TTL. It just gives the best control.
oh ok, so i'm guessing if i brought the pentax flash with high speed sync, i could take advantage of the higher shutter speeds.
On my canon camera with the canon flash i can set it to high speed sync and go higher than the usual amount which for canon is something like 1/200th.
Your right about that i like the control of manual flash.
01-31-2011, 03:30 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lolliiy Quote
oh ok, so i'm guessing if i brought the pentax flash with high speed sync, i could take advantage of the higher shutter speeds.
Only on camera. HSS won't work with triggers.
01-31-2011, 06:01 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Only on camera. HSS won't work with triggers.
Thanks for the info
I wasn't aware of this. I have so much to learn! i'm so glad i found this forum.
01-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I've been 'experimenting' with some yongnuo triggers... Cheep as chips on ebay and haven't failed yet... fine for playing about... build quality isn't up to much tho so not sure how long they'll last...

Keep reading good things about cactus triggers but can't find any in the UK...

Pocket wizzards appear to be very expensive so can't justify (or afford) them at the moment...
01-31-2011, 10:01 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Keep reading good things about cactus triggers but can't find any in the UK...
You can buy them from Gadget Infinity. The shipping prices are very reasonable and I never had a problem with them. In fact, their customer service was nothing but outstanding (had a few questions afterwards).

I'd get the Cactus V5 instead of the V4, if I were you. For a bit more money, you get a lot more. The V4 would be the better choice if you don't need the extra features, primarily want to tripod mount the receivers, and want to save some dollars.

Last edited by Class A; 01-31-2011 at 10:09 PM.