Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
from my experience, when in any european city, I need only from 10mm to 75mm.

Since you have a kit lens already, the best option would be a sigma 10-20 or similar.

18mm is not wide enough, and since you dont need over really 70mm a super zoom like an 18-250 is useless. it really does nothing more than the kit lens.

I would tend to agree Lowell, but I have used a longer lens on trips frequently to Isolate Architectural details. can't zoom with my feet up the side of a building yet so there is a use for a longer lens
but the 10-20 if I had one would likely be glued to my camera for most trips (or the Tamron at a little lower price)

01-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just noticed the budget constraint. Buy used, sell used when you get back...
01-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Leana Quote
Who has time to take pictures when on a honeymoon??
lens for low light

cheers

randy
01-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
lens for low light

cheers

randy
I would agree but the op is on a tight budget and has a kx in any case so the really fat lens isn't as required as it would be with say a K10

01-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I would tend to agree Lowell, but I have used a longer lens on trips frequently to Isolate Architectural details. can't zoom with my feet up the side of a building yet so there is a use for a longer lens
but the 10-20 if I had one would likely be glued to my camera for most trips (or the Tamron at a little lower price)
I understand the issue with achetectural detail. If I opt to go with 3 lenses, I throow in either my vivitar 85F1.4 and my SMC F 1.7x af tc, or my K135F2.5

I am leaning to the 85mmplus TC even though it is bulkier and heavier, because the 85F1.4 on its own offers some other possibilities, but considering the budget constraint, or budget concious needs of the OP, I thought the ultra wide, was much more useful than the tele option. When I travel, I find 60% of all travel shots are using the 10-20 and 60% of those re at 10mm. Surely I would notice not being able to go below 18mm.

Another option I was thinking about was the Samyang (vivitar/bower/pro-optic etc. ) 14mm manual focus lens. I am thinking about one of these, and it might be just the thing for the OP to add.

I know it is manual focus,. but the reviews on it are pretty good, and 14mm is a lot wider than 18 mm.
01-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I understand the issue with achetectural detail. If I opt to go with 3 lenses, I throow in either my vivitar 85F1.4 and my SMC F 1.7x af tc, or my K135F2.5

I am leaning to the 85mmplus TC even though it is bulkier and heavier, because the 85F1.4 on its own offers some other possibilities, but considering the budget constraint, or budget concious needs of the OP, I thought the ultra wide, was much more useful than the tele option. When I travel, I find 60% of all travel shots are using the 10-20 and 60% of those re at 10mm. Surely I would notice not being able to go below 18mm.

Another option I was thinking about was the Samyang (vivitar/bower/pro-optic etc. ) 14mm manual focus lens. I am thinking about one of these, and it might be just the thing for the OP to add.

I know it is manual focus,. but the reviews on it are pretty good, and 14mm is a lot wider than 18 mm.
His stated budget should be able to come up with the 10-20 sigma i would think It was in Pounds not dollars (even with the higher prices in the uk it should be possible if not the Tamron should be)
01-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I would suggest the Sigma 10-20 is great for Roman streets but since you want to keep it light and just two lenses (depends on your budget of course) then :

Tamron 17-50/2.8 (go used)
Pentax 55-300 (plenty around - not the L version - and amazing value and sharpness for the money) and if you want to add a low light prime then maybe a manual 50 of a 1.2/1.4/1.7 variety (not expensive).
Having read through the thread I still don't think for the money the OP has that you can beat those I suggested above. Unless maybe you want to substitute the 17-70/4 for the 17-50/2.8 to save a little cash and avoid a few lense changes.
01-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Having read through the thread I still don't think for the money the OP has that you can beat those I suggested above. Unless maybe you want to substitute the 17-70/4 for the 17-50/2.8 to save a little cash and avoid a few lense changes.
I think the only issue really is needs for the honymoon.

What I have learned from experience over 30 years of film and digital is that 17-18mm is clearly not wide enough, and using in excess of 75mm in most city tourning is very very rare, unless there is something specific like archetectural details.

That is why I recommended a sigma 10-20 or similar, it is where he will have the most benefit. I can't see a 50-300 getting much use touring a city.

In fact, on my last 5 trips to europe where I took a camera, I only took my 70-200 once, used it for 3-4 shots only in 17 days, so left it at home for the next 4 trips.

If I know I am not doing wild life, I take a minimal kit of 3-4 lenses, specifically

sigma 10-20, Tamron 28-75, are always there and then, I take eigher my 135F2.5 or my 85F1.4 (plus a 1.7x AF TC), and or my new toy, an 8mm fisheye.

I have gone twice with only 2 lenses, the 10-20 and the 28-75 and not really felt I was missing any shots at all, but I do like using the 85mm for street candids.

01-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

my last trip i had a 14 28 and 200
and a 35 and 50 on my rangefinder
more than covered my needs but i could have had a 135 instead of the 200 (didn't own one at the time, zoomed out with my feet) did use the 200 on the street a bit but it was a little too long but gave me nice street portraits. used the 28 a lot but Paris and London both have a fair bit of room to move back in. more than rome in any case (aside from the forum)
the worst I find is in small towns where roads are still the same width as they were in horse and buggy days everything can be quite close and the 14 is great for this but if I was to buy again I'd buy the Sigma 10-20 I think (or the 12 -24 if I was flush with cash) i bought the 14 within months of it's release at the same time went Digital. there just weren't any other good wide options then.
01-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Having been there, you can't get wide enough... Get something like the DA15 to complement your kit. And if you can justify it, replace your kit with the DA 17-70 or Sigma 17-70.

Then, consider a fast low light lens, like the FA50 f1,4 or something similar. A tele is not mandatory, that will depend on your style.

Make sure you know your gear before leaving, and negociate BEFOREHAND with your significant other as to the amount of time you're allowed to take pictures. I discussed it with my wife before leaving for Hawaii, and avoided unpleasant discussions when on-site. And take plenty of pictures of her along the way.

Congratulations on your wedding, by the way!
No way this should be post #12. Keep this advice in mind if you want to stay married.
01-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #26
Pentaxian

ha funny, i read the title and also immediately thought that in order to begin your marriage on the right note, be sure to take lots of pics of your wife and get some of the two of you together; otherwise this whole Rome-thing looks like your concoction to further your camera hobby, lol.

Having been to Rome just once before, my absolute favorite memories were the structures after dark. Something about the gold glow of old stone and brick against a deep blue sky at twilight that made the eternal city come alive, IMO. That said, I hope you have room to bring a tripod, if even just a lightweight compact model. Some long exposures of the fountains aglow under a moonlit sky will be just the ticket. Also, you can "clear" a busy plaza of people with a long exposure to blur out their presence - have your wife sit perfectly still for say a 5sec shot and she becomes the center of attention surrounded by a sea of motion - you get the picture.

Agree that wide is good, especially to get in front of the crowds at Trevi Fountain, for example - when i was there, everybody just crowded up around it and sat, so you'd be lucky to even see the water unless you were right up there with an ultra wide.

Also, old architecture is rich with shapes and texture; catch the low sun of morning to glance off bricks and plaster to capture the old world essence of the structures.
If you go into the Vatican museum, you'll want a fast lens if flash is not permitted; a compact Super Tak 55 1.4 is cheap and fits in your pocket, your smallest pocket.

Wow, i wish it were me, lol. Have a blast and be sure to post some pics in here!
01-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #27
Moderator PEG Judges

Lenses on honeymoon!!!

Hope your partner doesn't see this post, my lassie would be less than amused.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 01-28-2011 at 02:08 PM.
01-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Unless your trips to Rome will be spent in alley ways, the 18-55 will be plenty of width. (or unless you only shoot postcard type shots). Rome is an open city, unlike Venice, Amsterdam or Munich and your 18 will be plenty wide.

Jason
01-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Take one lens. The 18-250 or similar would be a great choice.
You should be having fun with your new spouse, not wasting time swapping lenses.

Be careful of the "cardboard kids"-- they run at you holding a flat sheet of cardboard. This effectively keeps your arms busy while other kids rummage your belongings. We saw a few in Rome a few years ago.

Additionally, the less camera gear you carry, the less you look like easy or tempting prey.
01-31-2011, 08:29 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Be careful of the "cardboard kids"-- they run at you holding a flat sheet of cardboard. This effectively keeps your arms busy while other kids rummage your belongings. We saw a few in Rome a few years ago.
Get the new wife to some karate lessons before you go so she can kick them in the head while you get the shot...

Failing that...

Take a large memory card, a tripod and the kit lens and don't leave the hotel room...

Congratulations!!